• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell G15 5515 RGB Keyboard Not Detected (Compatible Keyboard, Possible BIOS/EC Issue)

NotEnough

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a Dell G15 5515 (Ryzen 7 5800H, RTX 3050 Ti) and recently installed a compatible 4-zone RGB keyboard and controller (for Dell G15 5510/5511/5515 models). While the keyboard functions for typing, the RGB lighting is not detected by Alienware Command Center (AWCC), which displays “No AlienFX devices found.”

What I’ve Tried So Far:

• Reseated the cables.
  • Reinstalled AWCC and AlienFX services.
  • Attempted BIOS downgrade but no improvement.
  • Inspected ribbon cables for damage.
  • Explored the possibility of BIOS or EC firmware issues with various versions, without success.
  • Have realized that similar models like the Alienware M15 R5 have specific keyboard controller drivers available on Dell’s support site, hinting at potential cross-model compatibility solutions.
  • Have tried a few other things, if required I can detail in replies.

Progress and Insights:

• I’ve identified that the AWCC fails to recognize the keyboard post-installation, despite being a compatible model.
  • Found out that BIOS downgrades were unsuccessful and blocked by system security features meant to prevent firmware regressions.
  • Investigated similar issues found on platforms like WinRaid, where BIOS or EC modding was suggested as a possible solution.

What I Suspect:

• There could be a BIOS or EC firmware issue preventing the RGB controller from being recognized. Since the hardware is compatible, I’m looking for help with modding BIOS or EC firmware to get the RGB controller working properly.
  • Could also have to do with a driver that’s not readily available or installing due to service tag mismatch. Possibly someone can send me their driver files info that has a working rgb g15 setup.

Seeking Help On:

• Modding tools, methods, or existing solutions to enable RGB functionality on Dell G15 5515.
  • Any guidance on firmware modifications that might have worked on similar models, or advice from those who’ve faced and fixed similar issues.

Any guidance on modding tools, methods, or existing solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for the help!

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
I have a 5515 as well, although mine is the base model with the Ryzen 5 5600H and non-Ti 3050. I've run into this problem before when I downgraded from Windows 11 to Windows 10. AlienFX not working and the sort. The problem is actually with AWCC. AWCC's setup procedure is very convoluted and things can go awry, which will result in this keyboard problem, the "OC Controls" (which feature the machine's fan control) being broken, amongst other minor things that the Alienware software manages.

My advice is:

1. Completely uninstall AWCC, AW OC Controls and all Dell and Alienware related software
2. Double check if all UWP/Microsoft Store dependencies have also been removed
3. Uninstall anything related to the keyboard you can find on Device Manager
4. Download the full AWCC package (it's 1.1 GB or so)

5. Do a full system reboot through CMD (shutdown -r -t 0) after setup is completed
6. Run AWCC and patiently wait for it to update all of its dependencies
7. Your keyboard and fan control functionality should be restored, at least worked for me

If all else fails try OpenRGB

NotEnough

I have a 5515 as well, although mine is the base model with the Ryzen 5 5600H and non-Ti 3050. I've run into this problem before when I downgraded from Windows 11 to Windows 10. AlienFX not working and the sort. The problem is actually with AWCC. AWCC's setup procedure is very convoluted and things can go awry, which will result in this keyboard problem, the "OC Controls" (which feature the machine's fan control) being broken, amongst other minor things that the Alienware software manages.

My advice is:

1. Completely uninstall AWCC, AW OC Controls and all Dell and Alienware related software
2. Double check if all UWP/Microsoft Store dependencies have also been removed
3. Uninstall anything related to the keyboard you can find on Device Manager
4. Download the full AWCC package (it's 1.1 GB or so)

5. Do a full system reboot through CMD (shutdown -r -t 0) after setup is completed
6. Run AWCC and patiently wait for it to update all of its dependencies
7. Your keyboard and fan control functionality should be restored, at least worked for me

If all else fails try OpenRGB
Thank you for the detailed steps! I appreciate your help. I wanted to ask really quick which motherboard model you have? What year is the 5515? I wanted to update you and clarify where I’m at with troubleshooting:

1. Clean Install: I’ve already done a complete clean-up and fresh Windows install, ensuring that all related software was thoroughly removed before reinstalling.

2. AWCC Reinstallation: After the fresh install, I reinstalled AWCC and made sure it’s the full package directly from Dell’s official site. I patiently waited for it to update all dependencies.

3. OpenRGB Attempt: I also tried using OpenRGB, but it returned an error related to I2C/SMBus, which suggests a deeper communication issue between the hardware components and the software.

4. Backlight Issue: One key point I’ve noticed is that there is no backlight functionality at all, even during the POST process when the computer starts up. This leads me to believe the issue could be more related to the BIOS/EC firmware rather than just a software glitch.

Given these points, I’m leaning towards thinking that there might be a BIOS or EC firmware issue affecting the keyboard’s functionality, especially since the backlight isn’t operational from boot. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, especially any insights into possible BIOS/EC adjustments or checks that might help.

Thank you again for your support!

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Thank you for the detailed steps! I appreciate your help. I wanted to ask really quick which motherboard model you have? What year is the 5515? I wanted to update you and clarify where I’m at with troubleshooting:

1. Clean Install: I’ve already done a complete clean-up and fresh Windows install, ensuring that all related software was thoroughly removed before reinstalling.

2. AWCC Reinstallation: After the fresh install, I reinstalled AWCC and made sure it’s the full package directly from Dell’s official site. I patiently waited for it to update all dependencies.

3. OpenRGB Attempt: I also tried using OpenRGB, but it returned an error related to I2C/SMBus, which suggests a deeper communication issue between the hardware components and the software.

4. Backlight Issue: One key point I’ve noticed is that there is no backlight functionality at all, even during the POST process when the computer starts up. This leads me to believe the issue could be more related to the BIOS/EC firmware rather than just a software glitch.

Given these points, I’m leaning towards thinking that there might be a BIOS or EC firmware issue affecting the keyboard’s functionality, especially since the backlight isn’t operational from boot. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, especially any insights into possible BIOS/EC adjustments or checks that might help.

Thank you again for your support!

I wonder if it's your replacement keyboard that has a compatibility problem of some sort. Mine has the original keyboard, so I guess that's why the full AWCC package worked for me. The BIOS has an option to force-disable the keyboard lighting, try toggling it, perhaps? On that note, does toggling G Mode (that high performance mode that boosts cooling and raises power limit to max) change the keyboard's lighting in any way, or does it stay off? When you enable G Mode, the keyboard will show a rainbow effect for a few seconds

NotEnough

I wonder if it's your replacement keyboard that has a compatibility problem of some sort. Mine has the original keyboard, so I guess that's why the full AWCC package worked for me. The BIOS has an option to force-disable the keyboard lighting, try toggling it, perhaps? On that note, does toggling G Mode (that high performance mode that boosts cooling and raises power limit to max) change the keyboard's lighting in any way, or does it stay off? When you enable G Mode, the keyboard will show a rainbow effect for a few seconds

There is absolutely no indication of lighting on the keyboard, only the caps lock. The BIOS indeed does have the option “Bright or disable” for me. Toggling G mode does nothing, I believe it’s because the backlighting isn’t being recognized whatsoever. G mode does work and go into high performance mode. AWCC boots up though and will say “AlienFX devices not connected,” which I’ve seen reports of online. In BIOS where it says “Keyboard type”: does yours say “backlite” or “rgb”? At this point I really am thinking it’s a service tag lock or something. I am currently at work but when I get home I’m going to use my multimeter to test components for power. Considering my old keyboard backlight went out, it makes me wonder if there’s a fried capacitor or short circuit on my motherboard that powers it.

The service tag lock could be downloading BIOS/EC and drivers based on the factory spec. If the controller is getting power, then I will extract BIOS and check for disabled settings and such.

Do you have any pics of inside your laptop with controller module setup or are you able to extract your device manager driver names so I can compare them?

I really appreciate your help and insight—it means a lot.

Keyboard Generic PS/2

There is absolutely no indication of lighting on the keyboard, only the caps lock. The BIOS indeed does have the option “Bright or disable” for me. Toggling G mode does nothing, I believe it’s because the backlighting isn’t being recognized whatsoever. G mode does work and go into high performance mode. AWCC boots up though and will say “AlienFX devices not connected,” which I’ve seen reports of online. In BIOS where it says “Keyboard type”: does yours say “backlite” or “rgb”? At this point I really am thinking it’s a service tag lock or something. I am currently at work but when I get home I’m going to use my multimeter to test components for power. Considering my old keyboard backlight went out, it makes me wonder if there’s a fried capacitor or short circuit on my motherboard that powers it.

The service tag lock could be downloading BIOS/EC and drivers based on the factory spec. If the controller is getting power, then I will extract BIOS and check for disabled settings and such.

Do you have any pics of inside your laptop with controller module setup or are you able to extract your device manager driver names so I can compare them?

I really appreciate your help and insight—it means a lot.

The 5515 is the 2021 model. There were 3 versions of this same laptop, the basic model (the one I have), the mid-range one (the one you have) and another model that had the RTX 3060. I don't think there is a service tag lock anywhere on this laptop... I kinda just wanna get the large battery and the 144Hz (or was it 165 Hz, I don't remember) panel upgrades if I come across them for a reasonable price.

Another possible fix for lighting not working (once you get it to detect anyway) is in this tab, which is... extremely stupid but, click around the "go dim" and "go dark" buttons. It might just spring the whole thing back to life. It's really stupid that way.

1728879687967.png

The AlienFX device is the one I marked here, ID 187C 0550

1728880025692.png

Also checked BIOS it says "backlite" and the toggle is the same one you have.

IMG_0914.jpeg

Last edited:

NotEnough

The 5515 is the 2021 model. There were 3 versions of this same laptop, the basic model (the one I have), the mid-range one (the one you have) and another model that had the RTX 3060. I don't think there is a service tag lock anywhere on this laptop... I kinda just wanna get the large battery and the 144Hz (or was it 165 Hz, I don't remember) panel upgrades if I come across them for a reasonable price.

Another possible fix for lighting not working (once you get it to detect anyway) is in this tab, which is... extremely stupid but, click around the "go dim" and "go dark" buttons. It might just spring the whole thing back to life. It's really stupid that way.

View attachment 367511

The AlienFX device is the one I marked here, ID 187C 0550

View attachment 367514

Also checked BIOS it says "backlite" and the toggle is the same one you have.

View attachment 367516
Unfortunately based on images I don’t have the driver whatsoever. I have none of those features you have listed. I don’t have the “Go dim” or “Go dark” because my driver is clearly missing or something. AlienFX doesn’t even boot. I’ve trouble shooted this For 12 hours straight the past two nights and I refuse to give up but I’m starting to want to.