• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Discord, Arduino, chromium crashing with fix.

System Name Machine XX
Processor Ryzen 7600
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) RX5700XT 8Gb
Storage 280GB Optane 900p
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 11
I have had constant crashes with Arduino, Discord, and some browsers for months I underclocked my CPU, RAM, GPU and it didn't help even reinstalling windows didn't help. today while trying to find something on Arduino crashing to a white screen I found someone mention that the new Arduino IDE is built on chromium, and this started ringing some bells because Discord is crashing and it is also based on chromium, so I started looking for chromium crashing on windows with AMD and found that Multiplane overlays have been a problem on windows for Nvidia in the past and now recently AMD and it can be fixed with a registry patch from Nvidia.

this is still an issue as it persists with fresh installs and driver updates. if you having discord and browsers crashing then you might need to do the same.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yvyqc7

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
In a way its like turning off hardware acceleration in webbrowsers, which Ive been doing since Internet Explorer on W98, cpus have more than enough capability to run media functions without requiring the gpu being tasked

NoLoihi

cpus have more than enough capability to run media functions without requiring the gpu being tasked
Speak for yourself, not all of them do. Even when they do, power draw and heat created might make CPU decoding quite unattractive.