• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Discord streaming is laggy

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
So Im kinda at my wits end here, maybe one of you has some imput.

I used to stream to friends quite a bit on discord, in the early early days it was terrible but then at some point, probably an update from discord, it became fine.
I noticed it made use of my RX480's Video Encoding via the task manager.

However now for some reason I cant properly stream anymore, I notice my Video Encoder is not used anymore, the stream is fine when im alt tabbed out, but as soon as I actually click to play the game the stream starts lagging badly, like 2 fps badly, just unwatchable.

And I have no clue what is causing this, I went for an complete fresh reinstall of the gpu drivers, actually went back to drivers from September but maybe I need to go further IF that is the issue....

idk like I said, i have no clue, I messed with all the settings regarding that in discord but they have absolutely zero influence in any way.

I also found information like this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/io8r9o
Basically I have found 2 reddit threads ot people with completely different rigs that have the same issue, now they managed to solve it but their changes did not help for me.

I know this is very vague and all but does anyone have any suggestions?

LucidDreamer0322

So I was just trying to help a friend of mine who was having this exact issue and we were getting extremely frustrated with pouring through guide after guide and getting nowhere. He has a high end pc so combing through all of the performance tweaks to help was only aggravating us further. He accidentally found the solution to his problem that wasn't listed on ANY of the articles/forums we read through.

AFTER you have the stream open, in the little pop-up window the is the demo for your stream, click THAT settings icon and change your stream quality, for him it was changing from source to 720p.

It fixed his lag issue, but we couldn't even set it back to source to confirm as it requires a nitro sub. From what I gather from that being the issue I will wager it has something to do with discord struggling to stream at your desktop resolution and setting a formed scale fixes their processing issue.

Hope this helps you and any in the future to not spend the ungodly amount of time we did trying to figure this out. Happy gaming! :)

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Motherboard Asus | ROG Strix -- Z 590-E
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
Memory G Skill | Trident Z *RGB @ 4000_ | _15-15-15-36_ |
Video Card(s) Asus | ROG Strix -- RTX 3070Ti_ #OC Edition
Storage INTENSO 250GB *1, 500GB*1 | Samsung EVO 860 / 970 EVO plus| WDC WD40 |
Display(s) Alienware | AW3821DW _ 38" {3840*1600} wide - curved
Case be Quiet | DARK BASE PRO 900 --- _rev. 2 --- #Silver
Audio Device(s) Asus | ROG Throne - Qi_7.1 | LOGITECH_G560 Speaker (RGB)
Power Supply be Quiet | DARK Power PRO 12 __ 1200W *titanium
Mouse Razer | NAGA Trinity (19 buttons)
Keyboard Razer | Huntsman V2 analog | Razer Goliathus (RGB) black
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores See signature URL
ye 720p and max. fps 30. and try to activate:

Screenshot 2021-11-23 224840.png

Dancing Happy Dance GIF

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
We noticed that in games that peg the GPU at 100% delay, stutter, weird lagging and bad video quality is plentiful. Limiting framerate to something sensible that keeps that from happening has solve our streaming related issues most of the time. Can be worth trying at least.