• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Eboostr for HDD cache Experience

Logic

I found this topic (https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/eboostr-for-hdd-cache.293608/) on eBoostr which was left unanswered, and it is probably the most overlooked piece of caching software ever!
It really is well worth having:

To answer you 80251:
The 4GB limit is NOT an Limit of eBoostr; is a limit of the FAT32 File system:
FAT32 cannot save files larger than 4GB, but you can use exFAT (faster) or NTFS (slower) and make the cache as big as you like in eBoostr.
NTFS is slower than exFAT as it has more logging and stuff going on.
But do set exFAT's
cluster size down to 4KB from the default 32KB to better suite the all-important small random I/O you want to speed up and to minimise Slack.

eBoostr is a FILE aware cache..!
That means you can exclude folders, files, file types, file sizes etc-etc from being cached.
That means stuff like the recycle bin and movie files and lisense.txt/rtf (which you have never opened and never will and have thousands of) can be excluded from being cached.

Similarly, you can drag and drop a link into eBoostr, hit build cache now, and your game or app is instantly cached, so you dont have to wait for the cache to warm up.
You can also cache as many drives of any type (RAID etc) to the same cache as you like.
Name one other caching solution that can do that.
Just one... :)

eBoostr will read data from the cache AND from the original drive SIMULTANIOUSLY, in a kind of RAID 0, but with an emphasis on pulling the random 4K from the cache drive, leaving the original drive to do the large sequential reads is generally faster at.
Name one caching solution that can do that! I can, but no one wants to hear the word Readyboost anymore! :)

NB's:
eBoostr has DRAM caching built in, but that does NOT work on Win 7 (IIRC) and up.
It cant compete with Windows' caching anyway, so:
Do NOT try enabling it unless you run an OS that can't see the extra RAM above 3.25 GB like XP32 couldn't.

eBoostr comes from the days of spinning rust.
SSDs have a latency of less than a quarter millisecond where the latency of spinning rust is around 10 milliseconds.
That means that the caching software layer has WAY less time to 'think'.
But there were also way less uber fast CPU cores than today too.

That means that that you can increase the process priority of the eBooster service: EBsstrSvc.exe and/or affine it to specific cores or core complexes in Task Manager to give it a er... eBoost.
NB that I/O priority lags process process priority by one, so the I/O priority of setting the service to 'above normal' remains stock. And that's a good thing as getting your I/O priorities out of sync slows things down..!!

NNB:
eBoostr rebuilds its cache every hour.
So unless you specify an app/game and rebuild the cache immediately; don't expect the cache to work immediately!
And don't be a nana and expect it to show results in Crystal Diskmark etc: it will NOT cache the newly created, always different random data used by them for testing.

I'm running 2 1TB Seagate SSHDs striped in disk management, eBoostr cached to a 58GB Optane drive, connected through an AMD X570 chipset. (3900X CPU)
I chose Striped Dynamic Disk to keep AHCI and hopefully avoid confusing the SSHD's R4K read caching as RAID0 does. It didnt work and only R4K write caching doubles to around 9MB/s.
Here are my initial run off the striped SSHDs, vs what my Corsair MP600 would get, vs an eBoostr cached 1st run after specifying Shadowbringers:
Uncached vs 1TB Corsair MP600 vs Cached on Optane.jpg

Thats 2.67 seconds faster than the SSD would be...
(I have since changed up the Optane driver, from the stock/crap MS driver, to a mod Intel driver (to work on AMD) which is another ~90MB/s faster at R4K reads.
ie: R4K reads, with a properly aligned exFAT partition and clusters for Optane, is now around ~300MB/s vs the ~200MB/s used in the above pic)

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
looks like sales have been retired.

Chrcoluk is right, you can't even buy ebooster anymore.

Interesting observation about the read cache, maybe I'll convert my primocache 1GiB in-memory cache to write.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks like sales have been retired.
Yep, they have abandoned support it seems.
The info from their website page.

eBoostr End of Sales Notice​

We retired eBoostr sales on April 30th, 2022, after more than fifteen years of making thousands computers run faster and smoother with improved performance. We would like to express our sincere appreciation to all of our customers who have supported us over the years.

If you have purchased eBoostr license before, you can continue to use it without any limitations. Please consider the following changes in the activation process in case of re-installation.

Please note: We do not recommend using RAM cache in eBoostr on Windows 10/11. You may experience random computer freezes and crashes.

Logic

Oh no! :cry:
Soz everyone;
I should have looked at their website but as a new member (here), links are understandably difficult to get past the mods.
If you click on 'activation process' There's' a link that still works to download the latest version I see.

If anyone wants to test eBoostr,
It has a '1st two hrs after every reboot free' mode.
Or you can change it to '1st 2 weeks (IIRC) free' but the 2 free hrs mode won't work afterwards IIRC.

I have built up a something of a good relationship with one of the eBoostr guys. I'll try contact him to find out what's what and report back.
If they're closing down, there's no reason not to provide a free key is there..!? :)

As there's some interest here (thx):
Interesting use case; GPU RAM as disk cache:
If you have an older notebook with a HDD and a dedicated GPU that's now a bit long in the tooth for gaming you can use GPURamDrive and eBoostr together to use that wasted GPU RAM as a disk cache..!
GPURamDrive does not work with other caching solutions as they all require a drive letter.

You could also use an old dedicated GPU in a desktop if you have the spare PCIe lanes.
Cooling is not an issue as the GPU core stays basically idle in this use case.

NB that the original version of GPURamDrive only works on nVidia GPUs, but you get the why's and wherefores here:
prsyahmi/GpuRamDrive: RamDrive that is backed by GPU Memory (github.com)
The ImDisk link there is outdated. See here for the ImDisk Toolkit:
ImDisk Toolkit download | SourceForge.net

The GPURamDrive version that works on AMD GPUs is here:
brzz/GpuRamDrive: RamDrive that is backed by GPU Memory (github.com)

Performance varies from card to card but is generally a good bit quicker than a SATA SSD, but volatile.
I have not dug into saving the cache to disk on shutdown, but that functionality is part of the Imdisk Toolkit.
MSI Util V3 (Message Signaled Interrupts) and setting the process to above normal tweaks things.
Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool. | guru3D Forums

GPURamDrive on a stock AMD 5700xt:
1692271486820.png

All linked software got 'the nod' from VirusTotal last I looked but as always, check.

Last edited:
System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
The GPU as RAMdrive is something supported by Linux right out of the box.
I never heard of that! I know that system DRAM is supported, but never heard of actually being able to use VRAM as a RAM drive on Linux.

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
Sad it sounds like it was a good product. Primocache has literally NO competitors in the 21st century.

Would Micron/Crucial momentum cache count as a competitor?

Would Micron/Crucial momentum cache count as a competitor?
I don't think so since that's not a general purpose product. Primocache and eboostr can be used on any rig regardless of SSD/HDD type. Primocache was designed to cache HDDs to SSDs and/or RAM (if so configured).