• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Embracer Group is breaking into 3 smaller companies... lol who saw this coming, what a joke

Space Lynx

Astronaut

gobble up every company, assure everything will be fine, can't handle it after all, and break apart into 3 smaller companies. lol hey everyone don't worry, just get an MBA and get those six figures even though you have no idea what you are doing, cause our society rewards MBA's instead of actual logic and reason. lol garbage

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
Never heard of them.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Never heard of them.
They used to be called Nordic Games up until 2019 when they renamed to Embracer.

Here's a short profile:

As you can see they own Aspyr (some of the Star Wars titles), Crystal Dynamics (some of the Tomb Raider titles) and Eidos-Montreal (a few Tomb Raider titles, some Marvel titles, Deux Ex).

What Space Lynx conveniently left out was the part that Embracer had a tentative billion dollar investment deal with Saudi Arabia that fell through at the 11th hour which led to much of the company's asset selloff.

My main question is why the Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors is still at the helm. He has destroyed shareholder value in a massive way, not just here but multiple times in multiple ways, including but not limited to massive employee layoffs.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Never heard of them.

they bought everyone in the industry up, then canceled a lot of the games we wanted, cause MBA's are smart. they canceled the newest Deus Ex game for example, and gutted some of our other favorite titles... terrible company.

What Space Lynx conveniently left out was the part that Embracer had a tentative billion dollar investment deal with Saudi Arabia that fell through at the 11th hour which led to much of the company's asset selloff.

I actually didn't know this part. None the less, it just proves my original point even more, Embracer Group was a shitty idea, with shitty mba's, they ruined a lot of future games.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I actually didn't know this part. None the less, it just proves my original point even more, Embracer Group was a shitty idea, with shitty mba's, they ruined a lot of future games.
It was heavily covered by the videogame media when their well heeled partners pulled out in May. Like front page, first story above the fold stuff. Originally the identity of the mysterious investor was not known but the truth came to light in August of last year:

The videogame media dwelled for this for days after.

Embracer Group was not some quick back-of-the-napkin hustle. They were an established gaming company (THQ Nordic and Nordic Games) years before they took up the Embracer name.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It was heavily covered by the videogame media when the Saudis pulled out. Like front page, first story above the fold stuff.

I don't check the news every day it's not healthy to do so. In fact I make it a goal to unplug from everything for an entire week once per year or so, it's very refreshing. So perhaps I missed it around that time, I don't know. I don't know why it matters? It helps my argument...

Case Apple proprietary
I don't read every scrap of news either but if you're going to openly bash a company and explain the circumstances of its action, you might want to do a little research first. It's not like any of this is hidden.

Even a cursory glance at the Embracer Group Wikipedia entry would have spelled it out.

I'm not even sure Lars Wingefors has an MBA. He's more of a hustler (or entrepreneur if you prefer that term). He made the critical error of spending money he didn't have in the bank account (about $2 billion) during his videogame company acquisition spree. If he has spent maybe $200 million I'm sure someone would have stepped up to loan him the money. But not $2 billion. That's the reason for the firesale, layoffs, cancelled games, and other sundry unpleasantries.

But the videogame industry has no lack of incompetent dirtbag CEOs and senior management. And the perpetually immature videogame audience doesn't really seem to care.

If gamers actually cared a little more about who was running the companies who write their games, they might actually get better content. It's possible. Look at Nintendo. Look at Capcom. Neither are perfect but they are better run companies than 99% of gaming companies elsewhere on this planet.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm not even sure Lars Wingefors has an MBA. He's more of a hustler (or entrepreneur if you prefer that term). He made the critical error of spending money he didn't have in the bank account (about $2 billion) during his videogame company acquisition spree. If he has spent maybe $200 million I'm sure someone would have stepped up to loan him the money. But not $2 billion. That's the reason for the firesale, layoffs, cancelled games, and other sundry unpleasantries.

yeah MBA in a negative sense is a generic term that is an analogy for all these types of CEO's, so again, unsure what your point is (it doesn't matter if he has one or not, he inevitably employs plenty of them) - I know English is not your first langauge, but I know most of my friends knew what I meant when I referred to MBA in that way. it's common here that they get paid a fuck ton and screw up companies for short term maximum profits, and in long term it collapses, because they don't care, lack reason, logic, or something.

and saudia arabia funding is a major red flag in my eyes

Last edited:
Case Apple proprietary
At long last, Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors is accepting much of the criticism leveled at him:

I still don't understand why the shareholders haven't kicked him out for destroying equity. I know he has partial ownership but definitely not a majority percentage. He should have been kicked to the curb a year ago when the $2 billion investment deal fell through.

But his investors are spineless cowards, allowing him to stay resulting layoffs, selloffs, bad morale, cancelled games, and more. And it got worse, his ill-advised recent acquisition of tabletop game maker Asmodee put the company deeply into debt which is likely the reason why they are breaking up the company into three entities.

Wingefors exemplifies much that is utterly broken in the videogame industry of 2024. Kinda Funny CEO Greg Miller understands this: "The Embracer Group are here," adding: "They've really f***ed up this place, haven't they?" He wasn't joking. I'm pretty sure he was laughing because he isn't a direct report to Lars Wingefors.

Last edited:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
My main question is why the Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors is still at the helm. He has destroyed shareholder value in a massive way, not just here but multiple times in multiple ways, including but not limited to massive employee layoffs.

So the man is due for a bonus?

It was heavily covered by the videogame media when their well heeled partners pulled out in May. Like front page, first story above the fold stuff. Originally the identity of the mysterious investor was not known but the truth came to light in August of last year:

and saudia arabia funding is a major red flag in my eyes
Savvy Gaming Group (SA "Public" Investment Fund) have put over $4b into the video game market acquiring shares in EA, take 2, Activision, and Capcom among others. They supposedly invested $1b into Embracer but backed out of another $2B. Saudis have been diversifying investments for years so their money isn't all wrapped up in oil and volatile.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Embrace the change, I guess then? :D
Irony couldn't be greater

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
embrace the next chapter...11