• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

External HD (Expansion drive) stopped working on my PC only

Hello folks.

I was using my external HD on my PC today, backing up some files, and something went wrong (I believe it was because I was also using another USB port transfering files from my phone and maybe the expansion harddrive just couldn't handle all the activity going on... I don't know)
Anyways, it stopped the transfer and it kinda disconnected on it's onw, disappearing from the file explorer tab.

So I unplugged everything, and plugged only the external HD, and it just wouldn't appear anymore. I disconnected it again, restarted the PC (because well, who knows...), tested it again and nothing.
The only thing that appears is the "safely remove hardware" icon on the bottom right of windows 10 icons. But it kinda hangs my system now when I try to right click it to remove the external HD...

It does not appear on disk management on my PC now, and sometimes my disk management even hangs now when the external HD is plugged in... It says "connecting to virtual disk service"

I then tried the external drive on my notebook (same windows 10 version of my PC), and IT WORKS NORMALLY... Opens all files, appears on disk management and all. Works perfectly on my notebook. I ran a disk error check in it, all good, windows says it's fine...

Since I didn't have anything there right now very important, I figured formating it might help. So in my notebook I formated it, I even changed partition from exFAT to NTFS, changed name of the drive, everything, and tested again on my notebook. Everything works. The external HD is formated and working perfectly on my notebook.

I guess when that problem happened, it must have left some sort of error in my PC, some conflict... I don't know.

I then ran sfc scannow, and DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth on my PC trying to see if some corrupted windows file could be identified and fixed, but windows says everything is fine...

Also, I then tested the USB ports on my PC with a couple pendrives, just to see if that error with the external HD maybe bricked my USB ports, but the pendrives all worked normally...

I just don't know how I can get this back working on my PC. Not only it's not working, it kinda "breaks" my PC every time I connect it... This is so wierd. If the thing was broken, it would not be normal on my notebook.

Anyone have any idea on this issue?

I thank you all in advance for your time, and forgive my english, it's not my first language.

Last edited: