• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fake GTX960, Help finding the correct bios

Processor ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard AB350m Pro4
Cooling custom loop
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force TXKD416G3600HC18ADC01 16gbs XMP
Video Card(s) HP GTX1650 super 4gb
Storage MZVLB256HBHQ-000H1 PM981a (256GB)/3TB HDD
Display(s) Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx
Case Rosewill CULLINAN
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Mouse Best Buy Insignia
Keyboard Best Buy Insignia
Software Win 10 pro
ill look around for some more files. it seems that bios would work but elpida memory is not supported. ill look around some more.

try this bios: it will report as fake but should show the right specs in gpuz and work. also, you need to use the programmer to flash it.

Attachments

• BIOS450.zip
    103.5 KB · Views: 100
Processor Intel Core2 Duo E7500 2.93Ghz
Motherboard "Intel G31 express"
Cooling stock cooler w/ silver tape
Memory 2x 1GB 1x 2GB DDR2 667mhz
Video Card(s) Intel Graphics :(
ill look around for some more files. it seems that bios would work but elpida memory is not supported. ill look around some more.

try this bios: it will report as fake but should show the right specs in gpuz and work. also, you need to use the programmer to flash it.

I tried, and again, to no avail. There is no image

vienna

I couldn't find a gtx660 working for sale. Their defective price is between 250 and 350
I would be very very very happy even if it was an 8600gt. I believe that products sent without commercial purpose, are not taxed.

Wow, defective GTX660 for 38-52 euros... In Finland, you can find quite easily GTX660 for 20-30-40 euros (Working cards). Or second example, I just bought in last month GTX970 for brother at 87 euros (~ 580 Brazilian Reals).

I think that your gpu is broken because gpu gives ”graphical corruptions” and finding right bios is hard task. It is very possible that there is no available the ”right bios” for that GTS450.

Posting this GTX660 would be nice, but postagefees are quite big (Finnish post says 44,90e for Brazil). Maybe I make this small summer project - when I walk outdoors and find bottles, I will collect coins for this packet :). In Finland, one bottle is 0,2e (small) and big is 0,4e. Tin cans for beer is worth of 0,15e. So I need +200 bottles or tin cans and I can send this card for you. That is not too big project because you can find few bottles on every day, when you are just walking on outdoors.

Lets see ja I hope best for this topic. This topic is something different than in Finnish forums, where people just buy RTX3070:s etc. So even my style (max 300e) to buy graphics cards are ”cheap” in Finnish forums, but very expensive when we look Brazils situation.

One interesting fact - GTX660 would be +542% faster than 8600GT. So e.g if 8600GT gots 30 FPS, GTX660 sould get +190 FPS.

Funny, that I know exactly what you feel now ... A good few years ago, I watched a documentary of what life was like in Cuba, and I felt the same way, thoughts like "my god, how can they survive like this "," I think I would never be able to live in these conditions ", and suddenly, boom! It happens to me.

Something I liked to see in that documentary was how the Cubans managed to get around some problems using what they had in hand ... For example, we all know that cars in Cuba are those old cars from the 50s, and that there is no manufacturer of parts of cars there. So when an engine breaks down, they exchange it for the engine of a Soviet car. Or, the brake fluid, which doesn't exist there either, so they make a mixture using sugar, vinegar, water, and some slimy things, and use it as a brake fluid. They make spare parts from scrap metal panels, hammering them into the shape they want ...

Well, in my case, I built my computer from pieces of scrap metal, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If you think about it, it is sad to think that a computer has a useful life of 5 to 8 years, and then it is thrown in the trash. I saved an old 775 card just by changing a few capacitors, there was a case in good condition that was discarded simply because it did not have the side covers, which I simply took from another one! A 500w corsair power supply that simply blown the fuse.

What I mean by all of this, is that the difficulty leads us to use creativity to overcome our day-to-day problems and that is a good thing.

A curiosity, the cars that (most) of you consider simple or bad, here are luxury cars (Honda Civic, Corolla, Azera), the simple cars here, are considered simply scrap in your country
(these were already my cars)

Last edited:
System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
what country are you in, i might be able to help you out depending on shipping cost, I've got an HD6450 or an HD3870 i could give you, i know they arn't super fast, ive also got a GTX 570 that is making odd EMI issues you could try to troubleshoot

what country are you in, i might be able to help you out depending on shipping cost, I've got an HD6450 or an HD3870 i could give you, i know they arn't super fast, ive also got a GTX 570 that is making odd EMI issues you could try to troubleshoot
Tankyou, any help are wellcome, Im from Brazil

Here I am again, and this time with some news!
I partially "fix" it, it's possible to play fallout new vegas now! And any game that doesn't use more than 990mb of vram.

Things I ended up discovering for myself:

- No firmware was compatible, especially since my card works with clocks of 700 and 750mhz (yes, it is gddr5 and works with only 750mhz of vram clock)

- The bios chip is a Pm25LQ010, which theoretically should be 128kb, but any firmware with more than 60kb will have video corruption

- I changed the hardware id in the firmware, GTX960 corresponds to number 1401, I don't remember the correspondence in hex, but I found the position and changed it to id corresponding to gts450. As a result, the computer kept detecting as GTX960. This happened, because regardless of what the firmware presents, what really matters is the resistors on the board, they are the model identifier (but I still don't know how to modify these resistors and positions so that it is a gts450)

- They are rejected OEM boards. All these Chinese boards are boards from a real manufacturer, but they were rejected for some reason. So someone got them, and made these unholy modifications. I found the address of the "company" in china. They refused to answer my emails. I don't understand Chinese, and google translator didn't help me much, but from what little I could understand in a conversation with a Chinese on a forum, these boards were not intended for the domestic consumer, they are a "scam" for cryptocurrency miners, these Miners use their video cards a lot, and are used to them burning quickly, so they simply buy another card and put it in place of the one they burned, they don't do any tests first, so they're easy to be fooled.

- These boards cost less than $10 for the Chinese scammers. And they continue to sell these boards to this day.

- I believe it is possible to modify the code with an assembly decompiler, it will convert hex to assembly. An experienced assembler programmer will easily find the problems and solve them.

- The Russians are far ahead in knowledge about this.

- In the case of my firmware, The responsible for the amount of memory here is 7db0 to 7dd0

- To get my card working, I just need to get the memory set up correctly, I'm hot! It offers slightly better performance than a GTX260 in my benchmarks

My extensive research around the world (including russia and china) resulted in the following knowledge:

- The Chinese themselves fell for the coup. And even worse! There is ALL KIND of counterfeit hardware, atx fonts, ram memory, USB sticks (it's been around for almost 20 years), and even hds! (yes, they can fake the size of a hd)

- In china, this kind of fake hardware is popularly known as "Hardware Yamen".

- My theory was correct: This is all junk hardware. These are items that did not pass the quality test, or that came back for being within the warranty period. So somehow, a bad character acquired them, and RECONDITIONED, then faked them.

- In china, packaging is more elaborate, and looks like a real product. Some have silly names like HXVGA, XuanYing, Ezga but there are "XFX, Evga, Asus"...

- Sometimes the seller is not to blame. Some sellers, are just shopkeepers, and buy lots of hardware to sell online, often, he doesn't even know it was fake.

- They are produced in the city of Shenzhen, China, and seem to have a connection with a man named Ma Yun, the richest man in China, who prides himself on counterfeiting (imitations, in his vocabulary) (Guangming District, Shenzhen, 广东省, 518107)

- I found out that the Chinese have an app called "Master Lu", which is dedicated to detecting counterfeit things (but already figured out how to get around it)

- Chinese are masters of binary/hex editors: Counterfeiters are so good at this that it's popular to find FAKE MACBOOKS there! But wait, it's not a cheap fake, it's a real macbook apple from Apple! But an older model, 2012, is altered in such a way that it turns into a 2018 macbook. An i5 core turns into an i7, an intel graphics card turns into an nvidia 1080 mobile (lol)

fake macbook.jpg

- Chinese have websites to sell "solutions" and tutorials. Want to learn how to clean your own ass? No problem, pay some money, and you can download an unsuspecting .rar that contains everything you need to miraculously solve your problem.

- In my case, I suspect that the vbios is from some Palit board, due to the part number present in my vbios, it is very similar with the nomenclature used by palit in its vibes "BIOS-P/N@N9309"

Last edited:
System Name Moose 5800X3D
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4Ghz 4.5Ghz Boost 96MB L3 Cache
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Custom Liquid Cooling covering CPU and GPU including liquid backplate for graphics memory cooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 XLR8 Gaming 24GB
Storage WD Black SN770 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 + 2x WD Caviar Black 750GB
Display(s) AOC 34" CU34G2/BK Ultra Wide @ 3440x1440
Case Thermaltake Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair TX850M 850W Semi Modular
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Rii K61c
Software Windows 11 Pro
It is very interesting reading what you are saying about counterfit tech, I personally have always suspected as much but it sounds like you have further evidence to prove thier fakery.

I am also sad to hear about the prices and difficulty in obtaining a graphics card in Brazil! It's not like your requirements are much but still so hard to get. I thought that it was only the rtx 3000 series that were hard to get in my experience!

It is very interesting reading what you are saying about counterfit tech, I personally have always suspected as much but it sounds like you have further evidence to prove thier fakery.

I am also sad to hear about the prices and difficulty in obtaining a graphics card in Brazil! It's not like your requirements are much but still so hard to get. I thought that it was only the rtx 3000 series that were hard to get in my experience!
Despite everything, I'm managing to be happy with it, I'm running Fallout New Vegas at 60fps in full hd, it works very stably (fallout uses less than 600mb of vram). Unfortunately fallout 4 uses more than 1gb of vram, so it will fail in the loading screen. But this is way better than the damn intel gma graphics card built into the motherboard