• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FFXIV Dawntrail has one of the worst stories in video game history. Literally makes no sense. 0/10

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This thread will contain spoilers just fyi, so if you plan or are currently playing the game do not read below. Making a bunch of space so you don't accidently read, and I will also place it spoiler tags.

FFXVI ARR 8/10
Heavensward 9/10
Stormblood 8/10
Shadowbringers 10/10
Endwalker 10/10
Dawntrail 0/10 + added garbage hot sauce
--
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
So, story starts off really slow, you build up your character relationships so you feel attached to them like any other story, and Dawntrail actually does a decent job of this. However, I am pretty far into the main scenario quest now the main starting idea was you have to pass several trials/feats to gain these powered gems that unlock the secret golden city. Ok, long story short, you get all 7 gems, you place them, the golden city gets unlocked. Yay, game over right? Nope cause here is where the most horrible writing in video game history starts.

So, you as soon to be leader of your country just unlocked the golden city, but do you go inside? No, why would you do that, you just spent this entire adventure building up to this moment... you have access to a key to get inside that is at the palace, and you have instant travel thanks to aetherytes...

So, instead you just go back to the palace to celebrate that you unlocked the golden city, and instead of going back to enter it you decide to hold weeks of celebration since you are chosen as new Dawnservant... and your brother's advisor steals the key, goes and enters the golden city which grants him immense power... and that's where the next conflict comes from.

SO YOU UNLOCK THE GOLDEN CITY, THAT EVERYONE HAS WHISPERED LEGENDS ABOUT IT FOR CENTURIES, BUT YOU DON'T BOTHER TO EVEN GO INSIDE IT OR EVEN THE NEXT FEW DAYS COME BACK TO GO INSIDE IT??? stupidest writing i have ever seen in my life. the story makes no sense at all. 0/10

this game ended with Endwalker for me, which was a 10/10 story. I can't stand this new crap though, 0/10, canceled my sub, and uninstalling. Junk game is junk.

also forgot to add that you are the most powerful warrior in the Cosmos, you literally traveled stars and fought interdimensional beings in the last expansion, but your new dawnservants brother this little lizard dude, just killed her father with his new golden city tech, but you don't even risk fighting him right then and there to end it all? you literally could whip anything in the Cosmos in the last expansion, this writing is just so fucking bad. I can't stand it. garbage game is garbage

I wish I could get my money back, $42 down the drain for horrible story development and writing skills.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I am level 100 now, and I just finished the Dawntrail story, some end game spoilers below: Also, I just need to say, the music and soundtrack for Dawntrail is incredible. Truly, every zones music was so good and unique it blew me away, never been impressed by an OST until this game, wish I could have loved the story more though, damnit.
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-

Overall, it was good, and the final cutscenes did explain some things, such as why the good guys didn't use the key on the golden city to unlock its final portion, the key only activates for people under extreme emotion or desire, this is why her father could not get the key to activate many years ago when he tried to open the golden city, so to be safe and him and the others decided to lock it away with the 7 gems ---

anyways, it would have been helpful to know this more clearly mid-way through the game when I got frustrated that the good guys never even attempted to open it, I guess its just implied because of this end game scene explaining it, BUT I think that is bad writing, unless I missed it somewhere, it should have been implied or straight up told to the player earlier in the story as the reason the good guys didn't even attempt to open the golden city portal.

anyways, long story short, i am still upset cause it ruined the game for me a bit, but less upset because at least it makes more sense now.

overall, ended up being a decent story and expansion. i'm still leaving the score the way it was though, because I was not able to fully enjoy it, its still bad writing imo, because it should have been made clear to the player that the golden city opening attempt by the good guys wasn't attempted because her father and others just had no idea how to open it, but apparently the bad guys got it first try because of extreme desire... which makes sense when you understand why it only opens for that reason ---

this may not sound like a big deal on paper, but you literally spend the entire expansion building up to reaching the golden city, literally the majority of the expansion is just completing feats/tests so you can finally see the golden city and whats inside, and then they don't even attempt to use the key to open it? like even if they thought it was impossible, they didn't even attempt to use the key on the portal in anyway shape or form... just really lackluster writing there. i understand they needed a transition to a conflict to occur, but man there are way better ways to pull that off.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
It doesn't release until July 2nd...... are you a press reviewer??

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
Looks like something that did not translate well across expectations, but yes, plot twists that render most of the adventure pointless or even counterproductive is... infuriating each and every time.

I think it's common in certain genres of JRPG, and now this too.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
On the plus side.. the benchmark was free :D

Not really my thing..

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Looks like something that did not translate well across expectations, but yes, plot twists that render most of the adventure pointless or even counterproductive is... infuriating each and every time.

The FFXIV expansions before this executed fine in storytelling, but yeah this one just botched a really pivotal part of the story line progression that ruined the immersion for me personally.

It's also like 10% possible chance there was something there that I just missed story wise, that would negate my entire complaint, since my complaint is very specific to one pivotal scene. I will go back and watch some cutscenes tomorrow in my apartment (in-game apartment) to see if I perhaps just missed it.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Its the same shit as that nonsensical multiverse move that franchises tend to make when they've exhausted all ideas and originality. 'Hey let's reset things by just mashing all nonsense together, and see where it leads us'

And then it quickly becomes a parody on itself.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Its the same shit as that nonsensical multiverse move that franchises tend to make when they've exhausted all ideas and originality. 'Hey let's reset things by just mashing all nonsense together, and see where it leads us'

And then it quickly becomes a parody on itself.

@JWNoctis had the right of it, honestly it was a singular moment in the story (blurred out spoiler section from first post) that really just ruined the entirety of the story, the end of the story actually was decent I will give it that, but I was just so upset that the entire premise of the end story was only there because they forced it with bad writing (again in the spoiler section in post 1) it just ruined the entirety of it. All they had to was put in a scene in the middle of the game when they reach the main plot point, and make that scene explain why they could go no further at that time, and honestly I would have been like ok fine... I can deal with that and I would have been able to enjoy the rest of the story just fine.

Dawntrail is meant to be a lighthearted expansion, so I went into with just chill expectations and as a way to relax and just level up and have fun. It's hard to do that though when the writing just makes no sense for a key part of the plot.

@JWNoctis had the right of it, honestly it was a singular moment in the story (blurred out spoiler section from first post) that really just ruined the entirety of the story, the end of the story actually was decent I will give it that, but I was just so upset that the entire premise of the end story was only there because they forced it with bad writing (again in the spoiler section in post 1) it just ruined the entirety of it. All they had to was put in a scene in the middle of the game when they reach the main plot point, and make that scene explain why they could go no further at that time, and honestly I would have been like ok fine... I can deal with that and I would have been able to enjoy the rest of the story just fine.

Dawntrail is meant to be a lighthearted expansion, so I went into with just chill expectations and as a way to relax and just level up and have fun. It's hard to do that though when the writing just makes no sense for a key part of the plot.

So...after reading this I have to ask if you're burnt out because of bad writing, or if you're hitting the Shonen wall?

Let me do one step better. Dragon Ball had its greatest stakes around one planet. DBZ started with a planet, then moved onto a solar system, then the whole universe, DB Super then went to a multi-verse, and wound up with magical "I can do anything" individuals. They literally went from martial artists to gods. Right now DB Super basically has poisoned the well for any future shows...because there's literally no higher level of engagement and the last attempt at a soft reboot failed miserably (DB GT).

I view most Final Fantasy games like this...because you always start out as a chosen chump and wind-up with godlike powers...because JRPG. Most of the older games (single player) dealt with this by ending on their zenith...but an ongoing online experience can by definition not have a zenith. It always has to get better. It has to do that, or diversify. If you're already throwing around planets then the next logical step is to make that irrelevant by doing something completely different...which is often disappointing. After reading through your points I really think this is the point where you have to sacrifice power progression to restart...and you have deeper issues with that than clunky exposition. Maybe I'm reading wrong...but I'll say that 10 years+ of space ninjas requiring that they add a fishing mini-game is...reasonable proof that often the resets are jarring and difficult to swallow (Warframe BTW).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So...after reading this I have to ask if you're burnt out because of bad writing, or if you're hitting the Shonen wall?

Let me do one step better. Dragon Ball had its greatest stakes around one planet. DBZ started with a planet, then moved onto a solar system, then the whole universe, DB Super then went to a multi-verse, and wound up with magical "I can do anything" individuals. They literally went from martial artists to gods. Right now DB Super basically has poisoned the well for any future shows...because there's literally no higher level of engagement and the last attempt at a soft reboot failed miserably (DB GT).

I view most Final Fantasy games like this...because you always start out as a chosen chump and wind-up with godlike powers...because JRPG. Most of the older games (single player) dealt with this by ending on their zenith...but an ongoing online experience can by definition not have a zenith. It always has to get better. It has to do that, or diversify. If you're already throwing around planets then the next logical step is to make that irrelevant by doing something completely different...which is often disappointing. After reading through your points I really think this is the point where you have to sacrifice power progression to restart...and you have deeper issues with that than clunky exposition. Maybe I'm reading wrong...but I'll say that 10 years+ of space ninjas requiring that they add a fishing mini-game is...reasonable proof that often the resets are jarring and difficult to swallow (Warframe BTW).

I don't think it's burnout, because I was taking my time and enjoying the game, basically the early game has you spend all this time preparing for a major event, but then when you get to that major event you get ADHD, and are like nah I think I will go chill somewhere else instead of taking a peak inside... (its just bad writing, not taking that next step in the story which clearly anyone would do in that situation)

and then that delay sets in motion all the story stuff after, I actually still had fun in the dungeons, the music was out of this world good in every zone in Dawntrail, I enjoyed combat with my Paladin too.

I just read all the negative reviews on steam, and none of them even have the same issue as me, I am willing to look past the story problems of what they are complaining about, because I went into this knowing it was just a light hearted fun / tropical paradise setting expansion.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Funny thing is, I have a friend who plays and has since the start. He and his wife are enjoying it! To each there own?

if are willing to completely ignore a plot point that ruins the entire story, it is a decent game to be fair. As someone who has watched every lecture on how to write a good story from Brandon Sanderson and am well read, I do not so easily get over completely botched mistakes. I am willing to forgive a lot of story mistakes, but when you tell me to prepare for 20 hours for a major event to occur, I do invest that 20 hours, and then when the time comes, you are like, oh for no reason at all, we will just come back to this main event area in a couple weeks, lets just go celebrate we found it for now... literally makes no sense at all. any other person that invested (hypothetical weeks if we view it from the character in the story) and they finally find the main objective, they are going to explore that main objective not just randomly put it off for a couple weeks to sip some tea...

if are willing to completely ignore a plot point that ruins the entire story, it is a decent game to be fair. As someone who has watched every lecture on how to write a good story from Brandon Sanderson and am well read, I do not so easily get over completely botched mistakes. I am willing to forgive a lot of story mistakes, but when you tell me to prepare for 20 hours for a major event to occur, I do invest that 20 hours, and then when the time comes, you are like, oh for no reason at all, we will just come back to this main event area in a couple weeks, lets just go celebrate we found it for now... literally makes no sense at all. any other person that invested (hypothetical weeks if we view it from the character in the story) and they finally find the main objective, they are going to explore that main objective not just randomly put it off for a couple weeks to sip some tea...

So... "good writing" is one of those things that I'd suggest is subjective. Emil Pagliarulo has managed to continue to be employed...and Fallout 4 sucks pretty hard when it comes to a coherent and compelling story. Heck, it's now a joke that you bust out of cryo, gung-ho to find your baby, then 100 hours later with a dozen settlements "needing your help" you finally decide to discover the "twist."

What I'm more concerned with is that from the very brief period of time available, and with what should be a relatively long term content pack, you're telling us that the story is an issue...but not as much as initially thought...but that nobody else seems to be having it...but that there are others. This points to having hit the zenith, deciding to do the anime equivalent of a "fan service" beach episode, and setting the bar basically on the ground because of it. That's not necessarily a bad thing...but it definitely points to why you may be frustrated.

It's my two cents from the outside looking in. My time waster of choice recently released a new update that borked so many base systems that it should be a crime, and that's SOP (standard operating procedure). I live in a glass house, and shall not throw any stones.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I only played the trial back in the early days. As such, I can't comment on the storyline.

to be fair, I overreacted a little when I made this topic because I was infuriated. I just have been waiting so long for this expansion, I thought for sure it would be a slam dunk win, and honestly it almost was for me because the end of the story was decent. at the moment I am trying to just forget that blip in the story was there, so I can at least enjoy these end game dungeons, which again are decently designed and fun and the music is stellar.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
to be fair, I overreacted a little when I made this topic because I was infuriated. I just have been waiting so long for this expansion, I thought for sure it would be a slam dunk win, and honestly it almost was for me because the end of the story was decent. at the moment I am trying to just forget that blip in the story was there, so I can at least enjoy these end game dungeons, which again are decently designed and fun and the music is stellar.
Well let's be fair here, you do need some selective blindness in many a J-anything piece of content. I do, anyway, to enjoy it. There's always something utterly nonsensical in there, and apparently to many that's a good thing :D We've had walking cactuses in random spots in FF, because reasons but mostly because someone thought it was funny I guess.

I consider this event you speak of a clear case of edging, by the way. Just before the climax, postpone... :roll: