• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Freezing in games with RX 6700XT, but seemingly not under stress tests, dev ...

Bytorane

Hello

It seems, to me that ever since I upgraded to a newer GPU, that pretty much all games (tho I don't play a lot like I used to) started freezing after just about 10-15 minutes.

One of the games is Fortnite, the other is a flight sim, two completely different kind of games.

Under the hood it may be a BSOD, because a bugcheck event gets created and an automatic memory dump of 2-3 GB gets written as "MEMORY.DMP" from which I've analyzed:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Module Name: AuthenticAMD.sys

Further analysis says: Fatal BUS Error - BUSL1_SRC_IRD_I_NOTIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 10 Bank 1)

I might post more detailed screenshots later, right now I'm not typing from the problematic machine.

This is what hints it could be a CPU problem, because I've actually upgraded to a new CPU a few months before the GPU, but I remember playing the same games with the newer CPU and the older GPU ...
Maybe a BIOS update coinciding the upgrade in the week around the upgrade of the GPU could be the blame, these motherboards and CPUs was known for USB connectivity issues plaguing a lot of users.

It's an AMD AM4 system, ASUS ROG Strix X570-E motherboard with AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and initially an older AMD Radeon GPU, one that I upgraded with Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 6700XT, around that time I started experiencing freezes in games, even though it would all work otherwise. The PSU is a higher tier platinum Corsair HX 750W.

I'm a senior advanced PC user despite this being the first post, I've lurked around here for quite a long time ;) So troubleshooting isn't a first for me, infact it's one of my cup of tea's back when I had more free time, I would dig deep into all kinds of issues, so there's a whole bunch of basics and stuff I've already tried. This issue's just a bit more mysterious and it's affecting my primary work setup, so I rather post it up for reference and get it documented for clarity and recall.

I haven't tried everything yet though, so far I've tried on a new installation of Win10, other games, disabled AMD DOCP and did some benchmarks in Cinebench. I did two 3 hour tests with Prime95, one for max CPU stress and one for RAM stress. I've yet to do OCCT, and rendering programs.

Development and workstation type programs without fully rendering do seem to work just fine though ... I wanted to test a full blown heavy Blender render, but for some reason official blender 4.2 installer seems to be broken right now, and won't launch due to missing DLLs, even though I installed it on another Win10 based AMD (AM5) system a week ago for someone else. Maybe something up with my current Win10 installation (which was a rough new fresh one done a few months back), basically Blender.exe can't find MSVCP140.dll inside the ..crt folder of the installation. I tried redownloading from another mirror and repairing the installation, but it did not help.

Now I have 2 other GPUs nearby that I can borrow and do some tests, a Radeon RX 7800X and a Nvidia ...1070, lastly I can switch back to my old AMD CPU (Ryzen 5 4650G APU) and try my new GPU with the old CPU.

It would be the best if just the GPU was at fault ... but if it's a compatability issue, I think a replacement won't help, I might have to totally replace for a different brand or a model of GPU.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Did you update the Chipset driver at the same time as the Bios for the new CPU?

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Hello

It seems, to me that ever since I upgraded to a newer GPU, that pretty much all games (tho I don't play a lot like I used to) started freezing after just about 10-15 minutes.

One of the games is Fortnite, the other is a flight sim, two completely different kind of games.

Under the hood it may be a BSOD, because a bugcheck event gets created and an automatic memory dump of 2-3 GB gets written as "MEMORY.DMP" from which I've analyzed:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Module Name: AuthenticAMD.sys

Further analysis says: Fatal BUS Error - BUSL1_SRC_IRD_I_NOTIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 10 Bank 1)

I might post more detailed screenshots later, right now I'm not typing from the problematic machine.

This is what hints it could be a CPU problem, because I've actually upgraded to a new CPU a few months before the GPU, but I remember playing the same games with the newer CPU and the older GPU ...
Maybe a BIOS update coinciding the upgrade in the week around the upgrade of the GPU could be the blame, these motherboards and CPUs was known for USB connectivity issues plaguing a lot of users.

It's an AMD AM4 system, ASUS ROG Strix X570-E motherboard with AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and initially an older AMD Radeon GPU, one that I upgraded with Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 6700XT, around that time I started experiencing freezes in games, even though it would all work otherwise. The PSU is a higher tier platinum Corsair HX 750W.

I'm a senior advanced PC user despite this being the first post, I've lurked around here for quite a long time ;) So troubleshooting isn't a first for me, infact it's one of my cup of tea's back when I had more free time, I would dig deep into all kinds of issues, so there's a whole bunch of basics and stuff I've already tried. This issue's just a bit more mysterious and it's affecting my primary work setup, so I rather post it up for reference and get it documented for clarity and recall.

I haven't tried everything yet though, so far I've tried on a new installation of Win10, other games, disabled AMD DOCP and did some benchmarks in Cinebench. I did two 3 hour tests with Prime95, one for max CPU stress and one for RAM stress. I've yet to do OCCT, and rendering programs.

Development and workstation type programs without fully rendering do seem to work just fine though ... I wanted to test a full blown heavy Blender render, but for some reason official blender 4.2 installer seems to be broken right now, and won't launch due to missing DLLs, even though I installed it on another Win10 based AMD (AM5) system a week ago for someone else. Maybe something up with my current Win10 installation (which was a rough new fresh one done a few months back), basically Blender.exe can't find MSVCP140.dll inside the ..crt folder of the installation. I tried redownloading from another mirror and repairing the installation, but it did not help.

Now I have 2 other GPUs nearby that I can borrow and do some tests, a Radeon RX 7800X and a Nvidia ...1070, lastly I can switch back to my old AMD CPU (Ryzen 5 4650G APU) and try my new GPU with the old CPU.

It would be the best if just the GPU was at fault ... but if it's a compatability issue, I think a replacement won't help, I might have to totally replace for a different brand or a model of GPU.
What RAM are you using?

Bytorane

Did you update the Chipset driver at the same time as the Bios for the new CPU?

Good point, I don't think I did ... however, the problem persists on a completely new Windows 10 installation done in January 2024 which is based on the January 2024 Update level. While the initial Windows 10 installation was done in June 2023 and based around I think May 2023 or earlier Update level. I usually hard disable updates after installation. So there's no way an update messed something up, or WU did any driver swaps or something else. At this time ... I can't confirm whether it was 2023 or 2022 for the "old" Win10 installation, I would have to check again .... but the old installation, actually, the freaking SSD got corrupted somehow just a few weeks ago. That's a whole other issue I haven't figured out at all yet.
Now I remember I upgraded the CPU in January 2023 and the GPU was in June 2023 ... Was I actually running on yet again older Windows 10 installation? I would need to re-check things again. I might haven't played any games during those months and perhaps it may be the CPU's fault.

So much has happened during these few years, a bit too much of back and forth and upgrading HW piece by piece, and I have quite a lot of things going on, including PC and maintenance for other people, I've built and setup many PCs in recent months, a bunch of other tech projects. I should have gathered all of this up offline before posting initially, this is a bit more complicated than I initially recalled.

Yeah I forgot the RAM, it's a 128GB kit of Kingston KF3600C18D4/32X - (SK Hynix)

I have to leave for a few hours right now, I was hoping I could do a heavy Blender render, but i'll just I'll let OCCT run a GPU benchmark test and see if that triggers a BSOD or freeze.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Good point, I don't think I did ... however, the problem persists on a completely new Windows 10 installation done in January 2024 which is based on the January 2024 Update level. While the initial Windows 10 installation was done in June 2023 and based around I think May 2023 or earlier Update level. I usually hard disable updates after installation. So there's no way an update messed something up, or WU did any driver swaps or something else. At this time ... I can't confirm whether it was 2023 or 2022 for the "old" Win10 installation, I would have to check again .... but the old installation, actually, the freaking SSD got corrupted somehow just a few weeks ago. That's a whole other issue I haven't figured out at all yet.
Now I remember I upgraded the CPU in January 2023 and the GPU was in June 2023 ... Was I actually running on yet again older Windows 10 installation? I would need to re-check things again. I might haven't played any games during those months and perhaps it may be the CPU's fault.

So much has happened during these few years, a bit too much of back and forth and upgrading HW piece by piece, and I have quite a lot of things going on, including PC and maintenance for other people, I've built and setup many PCs in recent months, a bunch of other tech projects. I should have gathered all of this up offline before posting initially, this is a bit more complicated than I initially recalled.

Yeah I forgot the RAM, it's a 128GB kit of Kingston KF3600C18D4/32X - (SK Hynix)

I have to leave for a few hours right now, I was hoping I could do a heavy Blender render, but i'll just I'll let OCCT run a GPU benchmark test and see if that triggers a BSOD or freeze.
At 128 GB I am assuming that all 4 slots are occupied. I remember when I had all 4 installed (64GB) I had no issues for about 4 months. Then one day I started getting WHEA errors and random shutdowns. After removing 2 sticks the problem went away. It may seem anecdotal but when you read the MB manual most actually recommend using 2 DIMS.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
128GB can be tough to get working.

possible solutions
  • reduce ram to 64GB
  • try a different 128GB kit
  • tinker with voltages (SOC, CLDO VDDP, VDDG CCD, VDDG IOD, and DRAM Voltage)
  • tinker with ram speeds and/or timings
Having a DDR4-3600 kit run at 128GB sounds fantastic but that might be too much strain for the IMC without overriding other voltages.

Try simply reducing the speed to DDR-3200 in UEFI/BIOS and see if that gets you stable.

Also if you can, post a ZenTimings screenshot.

Last edited: