• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU BIOS recovery (Firepro s9100) from bricked bios! (actually works!) (error 0FL01 amdvbflash)

THe6410

Because there is absolutely NO information on bios modding/fixing for AMD's Firepro's I decided to post my findings about them. (I've made a reddit post but posted it in the wrong group so it maybe removed.)

NOTE: this should also work with similar cards (e.g AMD r9 280)

Also note I'm not responsible for any further damage done to equipment. Although I'll gladly help with any issue you are having for GPU/bios issues (as long as it's not nVidia GPUs)

So recently I bricked my GPU (Firepro s9100) while loading a custom bios on. I Believe it failed due to my faulty editing of undervolting not letting the core get enough voltage and that apparently broke the bios during the flashing process so it was super kaput...

I tried re-flashing my original bios but I was getting "error 0FL01" in amdvbflash, so it wasn't able to read the bios on the card. (side note: there should be a way to flash a bios without reading the one on the card correct? It should be possible if you are just overwriting one you don't need to read it, right? Can anyone verify if you could do this?) anyway, so "amdvbflash.exe -i" showed no GPU found, and "amdvbflash.exe -ai 0" showed that the GPU had no vbois. (dat's d issue btw if you couldn't guess...)

So I began reading on how to fix this. I knew I could just unsolder my current one and order a new bios to put back on, only, there is not a single bios chip I could find for sale that matches mine, and buying a whole GPU just for the bios wasn't something I was about to do with the current prices of GPU's... And naturally, of course there is literally nothing on fixing failed bios modding for firepro's. (actually there isn't any information on these cards in general..) So I looked and found a little information on the r9 280 r9 390x series cards which are basically the same hardware as the firepro and finally pieced some information together + a ton of other unrelated bricked GPU post that gave me the general idea.

So the general idea,

short out the bios chip that changes it to a low voltage which changes the chip to a "write only" mode. So it skips reading the bad bios which would cause it to fail on POST or booting. so log into your OS (If you can. If not you don't have the right pins shorted or something else is wrong with your GPU) (Also I used windows 10 for this.) anyway, start up amdvbflash and display the information about the GPU, If you can see it (even if it says test failed) You should be able to write the original bios back to it. If not see if you can find it in device manager if not reboot and try again. In theory you need to remove the pin before the bios flashes because if not you are basically writing to a read only chip which won't write anything to it.

So the pic below shows a general bios pinout. So in my case (pins 4 & 7) shorts the HOLD# (which is input) some other GPU's have a different bios pin out so I just based my unknown bios off the known r9 280 which had pins 4 & 7 for the short trick. I eventually ran across this link https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/problem-flashing-bios-msi-r9-280.224796/page-2 which double checked me for which pins I needed to short. I also read somewhere that you can break the bios by shorting the wrong pins so that's always a risk. But a cheap one at that because you can just (eventually) find a bios and either solder it yourself or pay someone 10 bucks to do it for you.
bios info.PNG

So now you know the general idea here are some basic steps to what I did that got mine working.

You will need

1. amdvbflash (for AMD GPU's We are not bothering with nVidia...)
  2. a thin conductive pin or solder wiring. (I used a single ethernet wire)
  3. glue, solder the wire or something to firmly hold the wire on the small bios pins will be helpful unless you want to end up holding the wire like I did the whole time :)
  4. screwdriver to remove the heatsink to get at the bios
  5. Be sure to have all the heatpads/thermal paste to repast GPU

!!!WARNING!!! the bios chip in all the pictures is upside down so don't think I'm doing pins 3 and 5 those are NOT the correct pins. Be sure you know how to count the pins the correct way :p

First, prepare your work area for a professional experience. It makes things easier. Trust me :)

setup.jpg

DON'T SETUP YOUR WORKSPACE LIKE THIS!!!!

Next you will want to remove the heatsink and locate the chip (usually marked with a 'U+some number', e.g, U3, U11, U8, On the Firepro s9100 it's U3.

heatsink-bios.jpg

Remove Heatsink to access BIOS chip

The GPU gets a little hot when being flashed with a bios so you will want a way to cool the GPU core while it's flashing because you can't put the heatsink on because the bios is in the way. The vRam was fine so i don't think you need to cool that.

clear bios pic.jpg

Once that is complete, find pins 4 & 7 and connect your conductive wire to them. (Make sure you don't short anything else out!) and glue them or secure them temporarily in a way you find suitable to your situation.

short these pins.PNG

pins 4 & 7 (the chip is upside down in the pic BTW)

Once you've done that you should be good to boot it up. If successful run amdvbflash and see if you can flash your original bios back on. You should be good to remove the pin once you've got into windows. DON'T leave the short on the bios while writing the new BIOS to the GPU!!!

It should successfully complete and you can reboot and you have a WORKING GPU!!!

complete product.jpg

Finished Product! (with modded fans lol! and it still runs at 80c at full usage.)

if that still didn't work, I'd do more trouble shooting see if the bios is the issue and not something else. and also see if you got the right pins shorted for your GPU, Again pins 4 & 7 are not for every GPU. Make sure you are sure that you know what pins you are doing for your GPU. But for the firepro w8100, s9100, s9150, r9 280, r9 270, it should work just fine.

if you find any error in this post just comment and letme know and I'll see if I can clarify or fix something.
That's about all there is to it. Hopefully This can help someone! Again mostly just posting for more information about these cards.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Should this pin 4 - 7 work on a 290x? Please lmk.

View attachment 249684
View attachment 249685
Here is a guide

@eidairaman1 Hello there. So what if both BIOS switch positions became corrupt & it no longer gets detected on either position? May you please tell me which pins to bridge to recover the BIOS?
image_2022_06_02T18_18_59_016Z.png

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
it says Hold# and Ground

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
It's not the same chip as the S9100. It's this one apparently.
Screenshot (471).png

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
@eidairaman1 This is only relevant thread on the entire internet where someone is recovering a Hawaii GPU is why I'm posting here hoping the Op will reply.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

cyrix

Did you ever make a modified bios for these? Was curious if you ever had one that allowed for pretty much any kind of tweaking since that seems to be fairly locked down.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Did you ever make a modified bios for these? Was curious if you ever had one that allowed for pretty much any kind of tweaking since that seems to be fairly locked down.
Start with a gpu-z screenshot then go to the advanced tab and take screenshots of each context menu item under the Chevron "V"

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
huh? I guess I was replying to OP fwiw
Doesn't matter lets start with stock bios info first

Gpu-z gives that info

THe6410

I didn't really modify the bios, just was editing clock speeds for better mining using,

There's also one for Fiji

@chris189, i'd look at the above Hawaii BE. The 290x is same Hawaii architecture, so good chance they are exact same bios chip. You can check the lettering on the chip to see if it matches.