• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Temperature Drops by 30℃ in 1 Second

primeven

Hello everyone,

I have an old laptop with GeForce 820M in it. Recently I cleaned the fan and heatsink, applied thermal paste and everything was perfect. When I checked the temperature everything was looking good except for the GPU temp. As you can see below, AIDA64 reads the temperature like that, sometimes it doesn't even read. Other softwares didn't measure the GPU temp. I thought maybe sensor was damaged somehow but I didn't think much of it. Then I started a game, and GPU temp skyrocketed to 90℃ and when I close the game it dropped back to 60℃ in literally 1 second!

Is it possible that the diode is damaged and doesn't measure temperature accurately? Or did I do something wrong while applying thermal paste?

gpu.gif

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
GPU-z doesn't detect the Temperature?

primeven

GPU-z doesn't detect the Temperature?

Here's the log file generated by GPU-Z. If you look at the temp at 15:41:10, it's 91.0℃ and drops to 73.0℃ after 1 second.

And before reapplying the thermal paste, it never reached above 80℃.

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
    84.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Any thermal paste needs to "settle in", that's what I observed when applying it anew. The next day the component you applied it to shows lower temperature (a few degrees).
Odd thing is that with new past your GPU temperature went from 80°C to over 90; either the paste is worse than the one before or also - the heat-sink might not touch the GPU thoroughly.
Also - did you perhaps put too much thermal paste on the GPU?
Oh and that drop from 90+ to 73 is nothing strange - once there isn't any significant current flowing through GPU, temperature drops mightily.

Last edited:

primeven

Any thermal paste needs to "settle in", that's what I observed when applying it anew. The next day the component you applied it to shows lower temperature (a few degrees).
Odd thing is that with new past your GPU temperature went from 80°C to over 90; either the paste is worse than the one before or also - the heat-sink might not touch the GPU thoroughly.
Also - did you perhaps put too much thermal paste on the GPU?
Oh and that drop from 90+ to 73 is nothing strange - once there isn't any significant current flowing through GPU, temperature drops mightily.

Thank you for your reply. I indeed tightened the screws on heatsink as far as they could go. Should I just disassemble the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste at this point?

I mean it's really suspicious that GPU temp would be over 90°C compared to before 80°. When I'm replacing e.g. factory grey paste on GPUs with my sort of generic white paste, temp only goes up a degree or 2 - that's when it settles in.
However I had an odd case with my GTX 470 (Gigabyte SuperOverclock) - I replaced that paste with the white one and the card got quite hot afterwards; since I only had it for some tests I didn't think much of it, it's Fermi after all. However upon taking it to mr. madness777 (also on this Forum), we/he discovered that the heatsink didn't properly touch the GPU, I guess it featured a bend from the factory. Go figure.
At that point I said I never saw anthing like that before in my life. :)

I'd say check anyway if the heatsink has proper contact with the GPU and that there isn't too much paste because it can act as insulator if too thick.

Last edited:

primeven

I mean it's really suspicious that GPU temp would be over 90°C compared to before 80°. When I'm replacing e.g. factory grey paste on GPUs with my sort of generic white paste, temp only goes up a degree or 2 - that's when it settles in.
However I had an odd case with my GTX 470 (Gigabyte SuperOverclock) - I replaced that paste with the white one and the card got quite hot afterwards; since I only had it for some tests I didn't think much of it, it's Fermi after all. However upon taking it to mr. madness777 (also on this Forum), we/he discovered that the heatsink didn't properly touch the GPU, I guess it featured a bend from the factory. Go figure.
At that point I said I never saw anthing like that before in my life. :)

I'd say check anyway if the heatsink has proper contact with the GPU and that there isn't too much paste because it can act as insulator if too thick.

Okay thank you so much. I'm gonna check the heatsink, I hope it's not bend or anything. Should I replace the thermal paste even though it's been a couple days since the last time I changed? Should I just check if heatsink touching properly?

I'd say just check there isn't too much paste and that heatsink is covering the whole chip.

primeven

Hello again, I disassembled everything again, reapplied the thermal paste to my GPU. But nothing changed. I don't understand how CPU temperatures dropped drastically while GPU temperatures increased compared to old paste, knowing that those parts share the same heatsink.

I applied the thermal paste to GPU just like I did on CPU, a thin layer of thermal paste on chips
I tightened the screws all the way down to GPU.

Would it be ideal to run my 820M at 85°C while playing games? Because I think I'll just go with it for now.

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
85c is fine and pretty normal for laptops.

Agreed; from time to time (depends on dustiness of surroundings) check the intake side of the fan cooling those components (heatsink right after the blower). Shag carpeting like dust mattress is known to form on the intake side preventing airflow with any kind of blower system really. Same goes for blower graphics cards.

System Name Mirkwood
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) AM4 AMD X470
Cooling Noctua D15S with additional Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX fan
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series CL16 3200Mhz 16GB (4 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 GV-RX570GAMING-4GD 4GB
Storage Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III; WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive
Display(s) Philips 246E9QDSB 24" Frameless Monitor, Full HD IPS, 129% sRGB, 75Hz, FreeSync
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T
Audio Device(s) Klipsch R-41PM powered monitors and SVS SB-2000 sub
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX
Keyboard Old Logitech keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Hello everyone,

I have an old laptop with GeForce 820M in it. Recently I cleaned the fan and heatsink, applied thermal paste and everything was perfect. When I checked the temperature everything was looking good except for the GPU temp. As you can see below, AIDA64 reads the temperature like that, sometimes it doesn't even read. Other softwares didn't measure the GPU temp. I thought maybe sensor was damaged somehow but I didn't think much of it. Then I started a game, and GPU temp skyrocketed to 90℃ and when I close the game it dropped back to 60℃ in literally 1 second!

Is it possible that the diode is damaged and doesn't measure temperature accurately? Or did I do something wrong while applying thermal paste?

View attachment 181290
So, processors and GPUs don't retain heat very well, though they can produce plenty of heat for their size. Like a light bulb filament, once you cut power, the heat drops quickly with the filament going from glowing hot to not glowing in a matter of seconds. A heatsink is designed to dissipate heat from a heat source, such as you CPU or GPU. Since the heatsink warms slowly as it get heat loaded and cools slowly as heat dissipates, the reasonable conclusion to your issue is that you have a contact issue where heatsink is not properly contacting chip, or the thermal paste has dried out and is not transferring heat to heatsink.

System Name The Sparing-No-Expense Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black
Memory 32GB: 2x16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3600MHz C18
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti Founder's Edition
Storage 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) AOC C24G1 144Hz 24" 1080p Monitor
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Power Supply Seasonic X-650 Gold PSU (SS-650KM3)
Software Windows 11 Home 64-bit
heatsink is not properly contacting chip, or the thermal paste has dried out and is not transferring heat to heatsink.
Air bubbles/gaps in the thermal paste and excess thermal paste also cause these issues.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Did the laptop use thermal paste or thermal PAD originally? you may need something thicker to contact the heatsink, if it used a pad originally.

and an obvious thing, is the fan(s) spinning correctly?