• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hands-on with ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Mini, Harpe Ace Extreme, and More at Gamescom 2024

pzogel

Reviewer
Among many other releases, ASUS has shown several upcoming peripheral releases at Gamescom, including both the ROG Harpe Ace Mini and the Harpe Ace Extreme, the latter of which had already been announced prior. Interestingly enough, the mouse demonstration units weren't pre-production units, but rather from mass production, hinting at an impending release. While no exact date has been revealed, both the ROG Harpe Ace Mini and the Harpe Ace Extreme indeed are expected to hit shelves within the next few weeks.

Shared between both mice are their basic specifications and internals. Much like on the ROG Keris II Ace, ASUS's latest AimPoint Pro sensor capable of 42,000 CPI sees use, along with ROG Optical main button switches. When asked for comment, ASUS has stated that on their enthusiast mouse releases, optical switches will continue to be preferred over push-fit mechanical switch sockets to save as much weight as possible. Through the ROG Polling Rate Booster, polling rates of up to 8000 Hz can be achieved in wired operation, and up to 4000 Hz in wireless operation. Since the firmware is shared across all models, performance of the ROG Harpe Ace Mini and the Harpe Ace Extreme will closely match the Keris II Ace provided the ROG Polling Rate Booster is used.

Those generally interested in ASUS mice but scared off by the prospect of having to deal with Armoury Crate will be pleased to hear that by the end of 2024, Armoury Crate will be reworked to become modular. In other words, one will be able to only install the parts actually desired, reducing both the installation size and RAM footprint in the process. In a way, it will be possible to tailor one's own Armoury Crate Gear.

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Extreme
At 47 g, the Extreme weighs 7 g less than the regular Harpe Ace, which, depending on how one looks at it, could be considered a success or a disappointment. In any case, one has to keep in mind that the shell typically only accounts for roughly a third of the total weight, which is why the ability to save weight in this area is limited, and ASUS has valued structural integrity over achieving the lowest possible weight. Whereas the shell of the regular Harpe Ace has been made of bio-based nylon, the Extreme comes with a fully CNC-machined carbon fiber shell. No comment has been made which modulus is used, and the numbers provided by ASUS are inconclusive in this regard, too. Regardless of modulus, carbon fiber will surpass any other material used in gaming mice thus far in terms of stiffness-to-weight ratio and, more specifically, its tensile strength. On the other hand, carbon fiber tends to be more brittle than other materials used in gaming mice, leading to poorer shock absorption. Another key property of carbon fiber is the fact that it tends to be somewhat dusty, though the demonstration unit at least appeared well-kept in this regard, and a cleaning kit is included with the mouse. In general, the mechanical design on the Extreme is on a high level, exhibiting limited lateral main button movement, tight tolerances, and low button travel across the board. Though the regular Harpe Ace with the ROG Polling Rate Booster would be a near-match in terms of performance, the Extreme sure trumps it as a vanity object, which is why a display stand being included with the box is par for the course.

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Mini
As far as materials go, the Mini closely matches the regular Harpe Ace, as the shell once again is made out of bio-based nylon. The surface treatment, however, differs greatly, as the Harpe Ace Mini features a much smoother matte coating as opposed to the rougher, more textured surface of the regular Harpe Ace. In terms of shape, the Mini closely matches the regular Harpe Ace, including the hump position and curvature, and only some minor details differ. At 49 g, it weighs less than the regular Harpe Ace by the amount one would expect in proportion to the difference in size. Of note is once again how solid the demonstration unit felt, as there was no shell creaking or flexing, and all buttons had pleasantly low travel. Though the Mini is compatible with the ROG Polling Rate Booster, that has to be purchased separately. At 1000 Hz, ASUS cited a click latency of 0.842 ms on average, and 105 hours of battery life.

ROG Falchion Ace HFX, ROG Pelta, and partnership with Max "Demon1" Mazanov
Among the most requested features for ASUS keyboards has been rapid trigger functionality, and with the 65% analog ROG Falchion Ace HFX, ASUS finally delivers this much sought after feature. Of note is that it can be easily enabled or disabled by a simple knob at the top of the keyboard without requiring software. In addition, a feature typically known under the name SOCD (short for Simultaneous Opposing Cardinal Directions) will also be present, but given how it already has been banned by Valve in Counter-Strike 2, this feature will be disabled by default and require a specific button combination to enable. ASUS cites a wired button latency of 1.1 ms on average at a polling rate of 8000 Hz, rendering the ROG Falchion Ace HFX one of the most responsive keyboards currently available. ROG HFX magnetic switches are used, whose initial force sits at 4.0 gf, and whose actuation range can be configured from 0.1 to 4.0 mm.

The ROG Pelta is a gaming headset, and its most notable feature is the fact that it rather closely tracks the Harman curve, which is typically regarded as the most generally preferred frequency response curve. Up to 60 hours of battery life are cited without RGB lighting in 2.4 GHz wireless operation, and potentially even more using Bluetooth.

Lastly, professional FPS player Max "Demon1" Mazanov, who is the winner of VALORANT Champions 2023, has been announced as the new ambassador of ROG gaming gear, has already given his input on the releases featured above, and will continue to give feedback to further improve future ROG peripheral releases.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
How’s the Mini feel in hand? Would it be a good fingertip mouse ala the Viper Mini or is it more of a small claw one?
And the announcement of rapid trigger keyboard is… unfortunate, seeing as how it comes right now when Valve decides to crack down on null-binds for CS.

pzogel

Reviewer
How’s the Mini feel in hand? Would it be a good fingertip mouse ala the Viper Mini or is it more of a small claw one?
And the announcement of rapid trigger keyboard is… unfortunate, seeing as how it comes right now when Valve decides to crack down on null-binds for CS.
More of a claw grip mouse in my opinion, the hump can get in the way when fingertip gripping, though this also depends on how much one's fingertip grip leans into claw—I consider any grip that has palm contact to no longer be fingertip grip.

Over here, right where you can't see me !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
m.E.h...

A rodent here, a rodent there, a rodent everywhere, just mini-me sized now, hehehe :)

And of course....then there is the obligatory mention of Armoury Crap, the world's most renowned, massively-combobulated, BSOD-causing bloatwarez.....does anyone REALLY believe they're finally gonna fix anything by making it "modular" ? I'll believe that when I see it....

m.E.h...

A rodent here, a rodent there, a rodent everywhere, just mini-me sized now, hehehe :)

And of course....then there is the obligatory mention of Armoury Crap, the world's most renowned, massively-combobulated, BSOD-causing bloatwarez.....does anyone REALLY believe they're finally gonna fix anything by making it "modular" ? I'll believe that when I see it....

I don't know, but seems like a good step forward Armoury Crate is really quite bloated even more than most software tends to be. I didn't even bother to reinstall it. It didn't outright require the software for functionality and given how bloated it is I felt like it was a hard nope. It also if anything only further complicates tuning versus the simplicity of just handling it all in the bios. It had a few things useful like software priority control was kind of nice, but isn't a deal breaker for me and stuff like processor lasso do a better job.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
What about a "Max" instead of a "mini"?

Does anyone ever question Marketing?

Polling Rate Booster.

It seems to be an USB-A mechanical dongle for wireless communication. the frequency band should be the same, the protocol of that communication should be the same. USB 2.0 should be ennough in regards of bandwidth and latency.

Feel free to add additional data. A polling rate is usually how often a sensor report back the position of the mouse. This is a hardware feature of the mouse sensor. Which can be found in the datasheet of the mouse sensor. This is also in combination with the mouse sensor microcontroller and firmware.

Armoury Crate

Just for information. Please lookup the details yourself. It is proven bad software with several proven security issues. This software downloads and try to auto installs on Windows 11 pro this year when you do not disable the option on every uefi update of the mainboard.

--

I had the impression that good audio equipment was a straight line.

The audio equipment should be identical and do not have more than 0.005 percent deviation from it. This jitters far negative and positive from that curve is even worse. It seems some frequency is heavily reduced and others are heavily increased.

Last edited:
Just for information. Please lookup the details yourself. It is proven bad software with several proven security issues. This software downloads and try to auto installs on Windows 11 pro this year when you do not disable the option on every uefi update of the mainboard.

--
It asks for installation, the same way MSI does with their software. Unfortunately, in a common "feature".

I had the impression that good audio equipment was a straight line.
The audio equipment should be identical and do not have more than 0.005 percent deviation from it. This jitters far negative and positive from that curve is even worse. It seems some frequency is heavily reduced and others are heavily increased.
Straight line for the Harman Curve?