• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP: PC Won't Turn On

plamy1969

Hi,
My PC issue started a year ago: after Sleep or Shutdown the fans and lights remained active, i.e. don't turn off. Otherwise Windows 11 stops and the monitor goes blank as well. So I had to switch off the button of the power supply on the rear or to press the front power button for few seconds until everything stops. Since that time I had to run the system via power on, i.e. starting the PC, no more "wake".
Few months ago until now the problem went bigger: the PC simply doesn't start after pressing the power button!!!
Sometimes it starts every day during 1-2 weeks, sometimes it doesn't during 4-5 days. I disconnect it from the electricity for hours with power supply button on or off - that doesn't help. Sometimes the PC starts successfully and once running, everything is just fine as if as no any problem exists. Until Sleep or Shutdown, then not starting again.
Not sure if the power supply or the motherboard are the problem because when the PC is connected to the electricity, (even not able to start) the light diode on the motherboard is lit.
I've searched for solution everywhere and still no any idea how to solve this terrible issue. Removing and reseating RAM, HDD, etc. doesn't help too.
The power options, drivers, etc. are all ok, never played with them actually. So they are not the reason. I think the reason may be hardware. A friend advised me to disable the internal graphics card from the BIOS, no effect. Don't know what to do anymore.
Please for your help!

Processor Intel i5 9400f
Motherboard MSI Z390 Gaming Plus
Cooling SilentiumPC Fera 3
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 16-18-18-36
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super Ventus XS OC
Storage 500 GB Kingston A2000; 1 TB Kingston A2000; 1 TB HGST Travelstar
Display(s) AOC 24G2U
Case SilentiumPC Signum SG1
Audio Device(s) Creative Pebble Plus; Logitech G533
Power Supply beQuiet Systempower 9 500W
Mouse Logitech G403 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins (Red)
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have you tried shorting the powerpins on the motherboard manually? It could simply be the power button of the case that is starting to fail.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling converted Eisbär 280, two F14 + three F12S intake, two P14S + two P14 + two F14 as exhaust
Memory 16 GB Corsair LPX bdie @3600/16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@plamy1969
might wanna add your system info to your profile, so folks can actually see your hw and dont have to guess, make sure t tick the box "visible to others".

remove power plug, remove cmos battery, press and hold power-on button for about 10s, then leave sitting for 2h.
insert battery, plug back in, power up and reset bios to defaults, reboot, then change/tweak, turning OFF any standby/sleep related options, as well as FAST BOOT for ram.

dont use standby/sleep/hibernation, makes ZERO sense on a non-mobile pc.
for short periods your away just leave it running, as even shutdown/new boot will put more "stress" on the parts (current rush etc), and if its more than 20-30 min (lunch etc), just shut it down.

if thats not doing it, try a different psu to rule it out.