• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[HELP] Undervolting i5-10210U for more performance and less throttling.

Shnxxx

Hi! I have my Lenovo laptop and would like to undervolt it to reduce throttling and improve the performance and thermals. Hoping someone patient there will help me achieve this Thank you!

I have attached here my TS's screehots.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    35.9 KB · Views: 521
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    37.8 KB · Views: 534
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    61 KB · Views: 527
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 528

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
undervolt
ThrottleStop shows that your BIOS has Locked out CPU voltage control. No undervolting for you unless you can find and install an earlier BIOS version that has that feature. There is no guarantee that Lenovo ever released a BIOS version for your computer that had CPU voltage control unlocked.

1677030285253.png

In the Options window I would check the PROCHOT Offset box and I would check the Lock PROCHOT Offset box. Some Lenovo laptops vary the thermal throttling temperature using this method which can really kill performance. Best to lock this setting to prevent that from happening.

In the TPL window I would check the MMIO Lock box near the top right of that window. I would set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0.

On the main screen you do not need to check the Speed Shift EPP box. Let Windows manage the EPP value for you. Clear the BD PROCHOT box and that is it. When a computer is mostly locked down, there is not much else you can do. The U series CPUs were designed for light duty work.

Turn on the Log File option and try to play a game or do something for 15 minutes so I can see how your computer is running. You can attach a log file to your next post. I have a similar Lenovo laptop that has a barely adequate heatsink and fan. It is OK for the 15W TDP rating that these U processors have but the cooling becomes inadequate if you try to push the CPU much beyond that.

Shnxxx

ThrottleStop shows that your BIOS has Locked out CPU voltage control. No undervolting for you unless you can find and install an earlier BIOS version that has that feature. There is no guarantee that Lenovo ever released a BIOS version for your computer that had CPU voltage control unlocked.
Very unfortunate of me then.

I tried applying the settings you mentioned and tried to play a game. After a few minutes, my laptop dies from extreme heat. It reaches 100C.
Attached here is the log.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 2023-02-23.txt
    78.4 KB · Views: 151

unclewebb

If your laptop is not stable at 100°C then set PROCHOT Offset to 5 or 6 to prevent the CPU from getting so hot. On Lenovo laptops this setting should be locked. If you need to change the Offset value, you will need to reboot to unlock this setting.

The biggest problem is cooling. You need to reduce the turbo power limits. I would set PL1 to 30W, PL2 to 40W and I would set the turbo time limit to 8 seconds. This will reduce maximum performance but lowering the power limits might help give you more consistent performance. If your computer is still running too hot then try decreasing these power limits another 5W. You still need to check the MMIO Lock box to prevent this power limit from randomly changing.

Too bad the undervolt feature is locked out. Being able to control the voltage makes a significant difference on low power devices like you have.

angk

I need your help to undervolt my CPU to maintain a stable clock speed of approximately 3.2 GHz since my bios seems to be unlocked.
And i dont know why but my cpu gets so hot when i go past 2 GHz.
here are some screenshot to help u understand.
Laptop name is Dell inspiron 13 7391.

Attachments

• Screenshot (110).png
    Screenshot (110).png
    2 MB · Views: 237
  • Screenshot (111).png
    Screenshot (111).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot (112).png
    Screenshot (112).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 232

unclewebb

i dont know why but my cpu gets so hot when i go past 2 GHz
If you have to lower the turbo multiplier to 26 to keep your laptop from overheating then I guess your laptop has poor cooling. Have you ever taken it apart and cleaned it out?

Your undervolt settings look OK. That is working correctly. There is no way to get more performance out of your laptop until you find a way to significantly improve the cooling. This might not be possible. Some laptops are poorly designed and will overheat even when everything is perfect.

angk

If you have to lower the turbo multiplier to 26 to keep your laptop from overheating then I guess your laptop has poor cooling. Have you ever taken it apart and cleaned it out?

Your undervolt settings look OK. That is working correctly. There is no way to get more performance out of your laptop until you find a way to significantly improve the cooling. This might not be possible. Some laptops are poorly designed and will overheat even when everything is perfect.
Well thats a bummer then thanks for the info.