• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with Lenovo P53

DarthFrank

Hi, all and thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I have a Lenovo P53 with the following specs: i9-9880H, 2.30GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVIDIA RTX 4000 8GB. My performance is utterly horrible. I'm using RDR2 as a benchmark and I barely play it on medium. My P50 with the M2000 could play RDR2 better than this thing....

I've tried messing around with Throttlestop but nothing seems to work. My laptop is really not that hot, and I'm using TPFancontrol2 to keep it very cool, so it's not overheating, but I can't seem to find the right settings. I'm posting my current TS settings, but I've been messing around with them alot, and I'm certainly no expert. I've also posted my most recent log file, taken while riding a horse in RDR2.

I'm on the latest BIOS, I've tried with turbo enabled and disabled, and I've messed around with various power settings but nothing seems to make much of a difference. I have gotten really smooth gaming performance on occasion, but after a few mins the throttle starts and I'm watching a slideshow.

Thanks again for any advice

Attachments

• TS4.jpg
    TS4.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 12
  • TS3.jpg
    TS3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 12
  • TS2.jpg
    TS2.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 13
  • TS1.jpg
    TS1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 2024-08-17.txt
    228 KB · Views: 7

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I'm posting my current TS settings, but I've been messing around with them alot
The log file shows inconsistent performance. Were you making changes to your ThrottleStop settings while you were logging data? If you were, do not do that. That makes it impossible for me to troubleshoot the problem. It might just be your computer that was making random changes to the maximum CPU speed. Sometimes the CPU would run at full speed and sometimes Intel Turbo Boost was being disabled. I am not yet sure why.

If you want maximum CPU speed all of the time then use ThrottleStop to access the Windows High Performance power plan. If you want the CPU to slow down when it is lightly loaded, use the Windows Balanced power plan. In either situation, you do not need to check the Speed Shift EPP box. Do not check the Disable Turbo box.

1724000136211.png

Near the top right of the TPL window, check the MMIO Lock box. Also check the Speed Shift box in the Miscellaneous section of the TPL window.

Delete the previous log file and run a new log file after you have made these changes. Hopefully there is a big improvement and your CPU runs more consistently.

Edit - Did you disable the C states in the BIOS or did you use ThrottleStop to disable the C states? Does the ThrottleStop C States window show 0.0 for all entries? It is OK to disable the C states. The reduced latency can help improve the smoothness of some games. The only downside is that when you disable the C states, your 9880H will be limited to the 41 multiplier. When lightly loaded, none of the higher multipliers (43 to 48) will be used. Light load power consumption and temperatures will also be increased.

1724001221836.png

Last edited: