• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How can i extract .bin or .rom file from bios.exe? (Asus)

b_o

I have an Asus ROG Zephyrus M15 laptop. I aim to modify the BIOS version of the device to perform undervolting by changing the overclocking lock setting. However, when extracting the BIOS versions downloaded from Asus's website, I can't find any files with the extensions *.rom, *.bin, *.cap, *.scap, *.bio, *.fd, *.wph, or *.dec.

Most of the tutorials I follow on YouTube show that when the BIOS is downloaded as a .exe file and opened as an archive with 7zip, at least one of these extensions is found. How can I correctly extract the BIOS for Asus?

Tools I use for extraction: UEFITool, innoextract, UniExtract, 7zip.

When I check with HWiNFO64, the Boot Guard Status on the Intel ME on the motherboard appears as Enabled. Could Boot Guard cause issues when I mod and flash the BIOS? How can I disable it?

Thank you.

johny bravo

there are some possibilities how to remove bios from exe.file...like 7 zip.
These things you could only do on different planet though.

System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
The bios is encrypted. You'll make no changes. At best unlock some features if they are available to do so.

By the way, extensions like .rom is simply the bios file and that's it. Some bioses use different extensions, but for most past time, .rom is the usual extension used for AMI bios files. The files are generally not compressed, you use 7zip to read it. There's nothing to extract.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. If you want Pointers about Asus bios files and modifications, go to OCN.net and ask for TheStilt. He'd be the only person eligible to assist because he writes bios for Asus. Usually he sets up the performance settings.

Anyways,
Good Luck!

Reactions: b_o