• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To Copy Game Pass Game Saves To Steam?

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I just realised that I 'own' most of the games I play on Game Pass, including Forza Horizon 3&4 and Forza Motorsport 7. I gave up on Starfield due to time constraints and have recently bought Sniper Elite 5 and Quake II Enhanced at sale prices for Steam. That means I'm seriously considering whether to keep paying for Game Pass since I have so many games, but not so much time.
Anyway, the challenge yesterday was to transfer my Sniper Elite 5 (SE5) progress over to Steam and thanks to a Reddit post, I was able to do it successfully.
In Game Pass (GP), the SE5 saves are at:
C:\Users(YourUsername)\AppData\Local\Packages\Rebellion.52602B995C00E_2vbwqmt31j4mr\SystemAppData\wgs\000901F8FCBAACAB_000000000000000000000000698F60D6
In that long numbered folder are several other folders, two of which will have the same date and time and in those folders are the two most recent saves, again with matching dates and time. Those should be copied, ignoring the 'container' folder.
Start the game on Steam, then quit the game. Go to:
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Sniper Elite 5\PC_ProfileSaves\76561198334348679 (that number may vary)
Delete slot0.save and slot1.sav, paste in the two copied from GP and rename them slot0.sav and slot1.sav. Run SE5 on Steam and you'll see that your progress is saved.
For Quake 2 Enhanced (Q2E) I haven't had any luck, in spite of numerous sources indicating where the GP saves should be. Here are some of them:
PC Gaming Wiki indicates C:\Users(YourUsername)\ Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake II\baseq2\save but that appears to be the Steam save location
Bethesda says
  • C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\Quake 2\EN\baseq2 - but Modifiable,,,etc is empty

Apparently most GP saves ares stored in:
C:\Users(YourUsername)\AppData\Local\Packages and can be identified by the name of the dev or publisher, but in the case of Q2E:
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\BethesdaSoftworks.Quake2_3275kfvn8vcwc there is nothing in any of the sub folders that indicates save games.

There is a small program over at Github:
I tried it several times but it come sup with errors and doesn't do anything which is a shame. Game Save Manager won't achieve what I want.
If anyone has any hints on this I'd be grateful since I've run out of options.