• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to maximize an app on Dex mode on a Samsung Note 8 (which it can be maximized normally on a Note 10+ )

nobtiba

Hi,

I have encountered an issue with the DwarfLab app on my Note 8 and Note 10+ in Dex mode (on my big screen). While both devices have the same version of the app, I noticed that the app can only be maximized on the Note 10+ using the maximize and minimize buttons. However, I find it strange that there is no such button on the Note 8, even though it is the exact same version of the app.

Interestingly, on my Note 8, other apps seem to be able to open in full-screen mode with the maximize and minimize buttons. I have tried various methods such as clicking everywhere, double-clicking, or clicking and dragging on the borderline, or near the border line, but nothing seems to work.

It's worth noting that my Note 10+ is running on Android 12, while the Note 8 is running on Android 9. I understand that the difference in operating system versions could be a factor, but I'm wondering if there is any workaround to force the DwarfLab app to open in full-screen mode on my Note 8.

Thank you very much for your help!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Dex seems half forgotten. We cant run netflix or any other DRM based media player above 720p, for example.

Have you tried Good Lock from the samsung store and it's addons? That's got a bunch of Dex tweaks and functions (Like forcing higher res output with generic HDMI/DP adaptors)

The note8 may be screwed by the older OS as a big part of what changed with android was the ability for external displays to be 'extended' rather than cloned - that allowed them to run different aspect ratios.
Seeing 2560x1600 squished into 1920x1080 was a big issue on the older android tablets i ran HDMI from.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Have you tried Good Lock from the samsung store and it's addons? That's got a bunch of Dex tweaks and functions (Like forcing higher res output with generic HDMI/DP adaptors)
I've just downloaded it and am interested in those Dex tweaks, but the app doesn't seem to have a search function, where can they be found?

EDIT: figured it out, cheers for the tip!

Last edited:

nobtiba

Dex seems half forgotten. We cant run netflix or any other DRM based media player above 720p, for example.

The note8 may be screwed by the older OS as a big part of what changed with android was the ability for external displays to be 'extended' rather than cloned - that allowed them to run different aspect ratios.
Seeing 2560x1600 squished into 1920x1080 was a big issue on the older android tablets i ran HDMI from.
I downloaded Good Lock from Galaxy store and all the addons when I opened that app. Could you tell me which function that help me to force the app to open in a bigger window?
Here is all that I see and I tried all of them, none is helping me to enlarge the window
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-18 at 00.02.40.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-18 at 00.42.55.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-18 at 00.42.58.jpeg

Last edited:

nobtiba

I opted to use lineage-19.1-20231009-UNOFFICIAL-greatlte to install Android 12 on my Note 8.

Unfortunately, after upgrading, whenever I connect my Note 8 to the Samsung Dex station, the mirror screen on the external monitor flickers and glitches rapidly. Sometimes, the phone even freezes or resets itself. Before upgrading to Android 12, I could use Dex mode to display full screen on the external monitor without any issues (except for the full windows problem with some apps). However, now I cannot even achieve full screen on the external monitor and can only see the mirror screen flickering and being unstable.

I have attempted to disable HW overlays by going into: Setting\System\Developer options\Hardware accelerated rendering\Disable HW overlays, but this function is not toggleable and does not solve the issue. I have also downloaded SecondScreen and Taskbar apps, but I cannot try them out due to the phone's flickering and unstable behavior when connected to the external screen. Additionally, I do not believe these apps can help turn the mirror screen into full screen.

My ultimate goal is to have my app open in full screen on the external monitor. Could someone give some advises or your experiences regarding this please? Thank you!

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I downloaded Good Lock from Galaxy store and all the addons when I opened that app. Could you tell me which function that help me to force the app to open in a bigger window?
Here is all that I see and I tried all of them, none is helping me to enlarge the window
View attachment 322029
View attachment 322034
View attachment 322035
I have no idea, i suggested it because that's the official way to tweak these things from samsung.
Quickly searching my phone, Dex is under "Multi Star"

Theres a lot of options available in the phone/tablet itself and these vary between models, so something may work fine stock on one phone, need settings adjusted on a second and not work at all on a third.

Even the adaptor used may be relevant, display resolution, refresh rate and so on.