• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to stop thermal throttling on i9-12900HX with just 100FPS target

ChemicalDruid

I have a Lenovo Legion 7 (Gen 7, 2022) with the infamous i9-12900HX that I've been reading so much about in this forum. I use it to drive a 34" ultrawide 100Hz monitor via dGPU only, the mobile 3080Ti.

All I need from it is 100FPS in gaming - not trying to beat any Cinebench scores etc. I do prefer lower temps and lower performance rather than both higher. However, it would be better if I could squeeze the most performance possible out of a low-temp system. It does feel like I am using a supercar to go for weekly shopping, but this way I also feel that I can enjoy the system for longer - not a fan of "live fast, die young" for my daily drivers!

Currently I use Lenovo Legion Toolkit to access and regulate Custom Mode (as opposed to the preset Quiet, Balanced and Performance Modes which only really change Power Limits) which allows settings such as max CPU temp. I have this set to the minimum possible - 85degC. I also use LLT's default Power Limits in Custom Mode:

- 90W PL1
- 135W PL2
- 30W PL! cross-load (when CPU and GPU fully utilized)

With that as a basis, and without touching any Power Limit settings in TS so that it doesn't clash with LLT where any adjustments can be made instead, what's the recommended way to use TS to squeeze extra performance out of my package? I am willing to go a bit higher on temps, but nowhere near 100degC so that I don't wear out the CPU prematurely over time.