• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To Use This mPCIe Card And (Perhaps) Another M.2 SSD?

Jan Tacci

Hello All,

I have the ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE mATX motherbaord and I purchased the ASUS mPCIe Combo Card without paying much attention to the interface/etc. It seems that the adapter does not fit my motherboard (the motherboard interface literally looks like a "mini" PCIe slot, however, the combo card interface looks like a bunch of pins:

[Motherboard]

[Combo Card]

After taking apart the combo card it seems that it's just a bracket of sorts to allow for 2 kinds of cards to be inserted, one looks like the "mini" PCIe that my board supports ( I am not sure if the other slot on the combo card also supports mPCIe or some other interface).

Can I just take the actual card out of the adapter and plug it straight in to the board or buy another "combo" type adapter that has the same interface as my board?

I also have an Intel M.2 180GB SATA SSD that I would also like to use.

The M.2 slot on my motherboard is currently in use (by a Plextor M6e M.2 SSD) and I don't have any more PCIe options so I was hoping that there might be some kind of adapter that would allow me to plug-in both the ASUS mPCIe WiFi card as well as the Intel M.2 SSD and use them both on my board's mPCIe slot so that would be an added bonus.

Therefore, my next question is, given the following restrictions:

1. Motherboard M.2 slot not available
2. No PCIe slots (x16 or x4) available

And that I would prefer the following setup (in order from highest to lowest)

HIGH - BOTH mPCIe WiFi Adapter AND M.2 SSD
MED - mPCE WiFi adapter Only
LOW - M.2 SSD Only

Can anyone recommend a way (if any) that I can satisfy the highest possible preference for my setup?

Thank you

Jan