• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP 250 G9 Intel I3-1215U Throttling

Alavux

Hello everyone and happy to be part of this community ,
as you already know cant modify alot , was hoping to solve mystery about bd proc hot but its more like thermal issue , since i opened (warranty expired,bought on 1st April 2023) , and notice that ac power plug is very near cooler and heatsink , question is will be thermal paste at least temper situation ? i notice that heatsink is bit detached ... also it can draw power to it's max PL1 15w also EDP Other is appearing too (CORE and RING) , it looks like traffic lights honestly , i using it for music production (cubase 13 is very cpu friendly in all stages composing arranging and mixing , also using ableton live but that's a real resources sucking) and using alot hardware stuff so as vst/vstI (mostly vst3) , it's win 11 22h2 , 16gb ram , just need stable cpu since this little guy can handle alot ... if i forgot to mention or attach anything please let me know ... btw when i detach ac plug and when works on battery it acts normal ! ... thanks for your answers and eventual help.

edit :

i disable all integrated stuff from a laptop except wifi , so no integrated audio card , camera , virtual machines and so on ...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 42

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
to solve mystery about bd prochot
12th Gen and newer computers have locked out BD PROCHOT adjustment so there is no easy way to disable this. If you buy a laptop and it has a mysterious BD PROCHOT throttling problem, I would return it immediately. If this problem pops up later on, there is nothing you can really do to fix it. The only fix would be to unlock BD PROCHOT by modifying the BIOS.

I do not know what sensors on your computer are able to send throttling signals to the CPU via the BD PROCHOT signal path. These problems are not always temperature related. Any cheap sensor can short out and cause problems.

i notice that heatsink is bit detached
A heatsink cannot do its job unless it is firmly attached to the CPU. I guess you can start by fixing that problem.

For settings I would check the MMIO Lock box and I would increase the PL1 power limit from 10 to 25. Attach a log file if you want me to have a look at it. With the FIVR being locked down, you cannot adjust IccMax to fix EDP throttling issues.

Alavux

thanks for kind reply , i am aware that i cant do alot ... btw i attached second monitor on hdmi to vga adapter/converter i thought that also making problems but nope , even without orico passive usb 2 7port usb hub , acts the same , here's log file as you requested btw graphic is UHD so not iris X or how it was name ... thank you once again ... i think that will help to put first prime multiplier (44) to 40 but that's impossible ...

Attachments

• 2024-07-17.txt
    17.6 KB · Views: 19

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The log file shows lots of BD PROCHOT throttling where the CPU gets locked to its minimum speed, just less than 400 MHz. That speed is like trying to use all of today's modern apps on a 20 year old computer. Not fun. Trying to do basic tasks becomes painful at this speed.

What seems to initially trigger this is the CPU gets too hot. Intel thermal throttling works great. HP decided to bypass that and is using BD PROCHOT throttling instead. The only way to avoid severe BD PROCHOT throttling is to try and prevent the CPU from getting too hot. Adjust the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window. This can be used to slow down your CPU so it puts out less heat. Everything else is locked down so this is about the only option available to you.

You can also try setting both MSR turbo power limits to 15 or less while the MMIO Lock box is checked.

Sad times when a big reputable company like HP produces laptops that are so badly crippled. I would be ashamed to work at a company producing garbage like that.

Alavux

Thanks for clarification on something that I was first suspected,anyway going today at work at it colleague for thermal paste change i hope will fix that heatsink too and yes it's step closer to ditch this laptop in garbage and change jersey for Cupertino team ...

Alavux

The log file shows lots of BD PROCHOT throttling where the CPU gets locked to its minimum speed, just less than 400 MHz. That speed is like trying to use all of today's modern apps on a 20 year old computer. Not fun. Trying to do basic tasks becomes painful at this speed.

What seems to initially trigger this is the CPU gets too hot. Intel thermal throttling works great. HP decided to bypass that and is using BD PROCHOT throttling instead. The only way to avoid severe BD PROCHOT throttling is to try and prevent the CPU from getting too hot. Adjust the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window. This can be used to slow down your CPU so it puts out less heat. Everything else is locked down so this is about the only option available to you.

You can also try setting both MSR turbo power limits to 15 or less while the MMIO Lock box is checked.

Sad times when a big reputable company like HP produces laptops that are so badly crippled. I would be ashamed to work at a company producing garbage like that.
after cleaning cooler from inside and changing thermal paste i attached log file for doing stress test , bdprochot is gone , will test again tomorrow with fully engagaded devices , this is just solo laptop doing stres tests ...

addenum :

2024-07-18 14:21:18 34.34 100.0 100.0 0 48 0.8928 25.0 BDPRO
2024-07-18 14:21:18 POWER STATUS CHANGE
2024-07-18 14:21:19 18.11 100.0 100.0 0 54 0.7966 15.9 PL2
2024-07-18 14:21:20 22.90 100.0 100.0 0 72 0.9745 21.5 PL2
2024-07-18 14:21:20 POWER STATUS CHANGE
2024-07-18 14:21:21 38.30 100.0 100.0 0 67 0.9170 32.0 PL1

this was power outage at the moment in the office

Attachments

• 2024-07-18.txt
    84.7 KB · Views: 21