• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP 850 G5 stucks at 0.4 GHz / "EDP OTHER" constantly showing in limits

gho

It looks like this...
Unbenannt.png

... and ...
Unbenannt2.png

What's going on? Advice will be highly appreciated!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Check the MMIO Lock box and set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0. Leave the BD PROCHOT box clear.

Post a screenshot of the FIVR window.

Some laptops with low power U series processors are poorly designed. They like to throttle and there is no way to fix these problems. Hopefully the FIVR window is not locked.

unclewebb

The Task Manager Utilization data confirms that your CPU is throttling. ThrottleStop shows why your CPU is throttling and what speed the CPU is running at. I will assume that ThrottleStop is still showing EDP throttling across all three domains.

Are you plugged in or are you running on battery power? If you are plugged in, is the battery fully charged? Some laptops will significantly limit performance when running on battery power or when the battery is being charged. The power adapters that many laptops with U series CPUs use tend to be barely adequate. Forced throttling is the solution instead of including an adequate power adapter.

EDP throttling is usually caused by one of the current limits being set too low. The FIVR section of ThrottleStop has been locked out by the BIOS so there is no way to try and adjust the IccMax current limits. Even if you were able to adjust IccMax, there might be a separate current limit that is being enforced by an embedded controller (EC) that ThrottleStop does not have access to.

In other words, there is no solution to fix your poorly performing laptop which is really too bad. The 8th Gen U series CPUs can run fantastic when a manufacturer leaves all of the various power and current limits unlocked. A similar 8550U in a Lenovo C930 can run indefinitely at full speed. It will only throttle when it gets too hot.

1687708695132.png

unclewebb

The throttling in the link you posted is the same as your laptop. It is EDP throttling, not max TDP throttling.

I am not sure when your laptop first developed this throttling problem. All it takes is one cheap 5 cent sensor to fail. This can tell the embedded controller to lower the current limit to some absurdly low level. The 8th Gen Lenovo laptop did not seem to use an embedded controller to manage the power or current limits. It still runs fine at more than double the 15W rated TDP.

hp_snailbook

I have this same issue and have not been able to find a solution. However, I believe it is driver related. I discovered that the issue does not exist when I boot into Windows "safe mode". @gho is that the case for you as well?

gho

Yes, Task Manager shows the maximum clock speed in Safe Mode, but CPU-Z only a benchmark value as clocked at a quarter of that. ThrottleStop doesn't even start in Safe Mode. On a BIOS information screen I get also displayed 400Mhz as current clock rate. So looks not like an OS or driver issue unfortunately.