• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP OMEN 17 bios update locked FIVR 10750h&2080 super

grimman18

Hello I had bios f.31 and windows update downloaded the new f.35 which I think locked the undervolting from the bios.I used this guide to change the cpusetup values for the overclockinglock and cfg lock 0x3E and 0xDA to 0x0.The changes where made but still it didn't unlock the FIVR controls.No undervolting utility works anymore not throttlestop not intelxtu and not the omen gaming hub.I believe the changes where made to fix the plundervolt exploit since the new bios came from windows update and it's not published on hp's site.I even tried rolling back but since it's an older version it won't let me.Why haven't the changes to the var of the cpusetup taken effect? Are they using some new lock maybe? Can I try to do anything else? also the hyper-v in windows features as well as the machine virtualization are turned off in the bios I also tried disabling the sgx guard but it didn't help...

If i"m not completely mistaken Intel does not use FIVRs anymore since Skylake.

And my guess is that they also removed the EFI DXE drivers, wich INTELXTU and Throttlestop uses.

So one way would be to search for these modules and place them back to the new BIOS.
The other would be downgrading.

Search in your BIOS for something like a BIOS Rollback/Downgrade lock, if this is deactivated or set to 0 (if your machine uses a AMI BIOS, AMI SCE will to the trick) it will be possible to downgrade the BIOS.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
If i"m not completely mistaken Intel does not use FIVRs anymore since Skylake.

And my guess is that they also removed the EFI DXE drivers, wich INTELXTU and Throttlestop uses.

So one way would be to search for these modules and place them back to the new BIOS.
The other would be downgrading.

Search in your BIOS for something like a BIOS Rollback/Downgrade lock, if this is deactivated or set to 0 (if your machine uses a AMI BIOS, AMI SCE will to the trick) it will be possible to downgrade the BIOS.
May need a programmer

grimman18

I tried looking in the bios image backup with uefi tool and found a bunch of rollback and downgrade lines but I have no idea which I should change...for the time being I just went ahead and dialled in 49w limit on pl2 if I go over that the cpu goes to something around 90 degrees and if I leave it default at 107 it goes all the way to the bdprochot 97 degrees.It sucks because when it was undervolted it had 3.8 all core at 85 degrees now it runs under 3.5 at max tvb is also annoying because it throttles the cpu frequency at 75 degrees.Strangely the other night when I opened the fivr window it wasn't locked anymore so I was able to play with the sliders but after I shut it down it reverted back to locked.Only hope is that hp releases a new bios update if people complain who knows.I doubt a throttlestop update would unlock it again.Guess I'll sell it at some point go with ryzen

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I tried looking in the bios image backup with uefi tool and found a bunch of rollback and downgrade lines but I have no idea which I should change...for the time being I just went ahead and dialled in 49w limit on pl2 if I go over that the cpu goes to something around 90 degrees and if I leave it default at 107 it goes all the way to the bdprochot 97 degrees.It sucks because when it was undervolted it had 3.8 all core at 85 degrees now it runs under 3.5 at max tvb is also annoying because it throttles the cpu frequency at 75 degrees.Strangely the other night when I opened the fivr window it wasn't locked anymore so I was able to play with the sliders but after I shut it down it reverted back to locked.Only hope is that hp releases a new bios update if people complain who knows.I doubt a throttlestop update would unlock it again.Guess I'll sell it at some point go with ryzen

Send your complaint to hp or contact them about it

pietro_romeo

Having the same issue with i9-10885 did the windows update it appears to have blocked the undervolt, error sceen comes up with SGK conflict.
Used to turbo up to 4.1ghz on all 8cores and drop down to 4.0 at about 80c, giving me a cinebench r20 score of over 4000, now its throttling for some reason down to 3.5ghz. ive lost 12% cpu peformance since this stupid update that cant be rolled back. so ill be following this thread hoping for updates, in the mean time ive been in touch with HP support.

grimman18

Does anybody know or have a tutorial I could follow so I can use powermonkey uefi? It's a more risky/radical solution since it'll run before windows boots but I've read you have to compile it with python and visual c++.How can I make the batch file with a custom set of cpu offset voltage and cache voltage? https://github.com/psyq321/PowerMonkey

Also I find it absolutely hilarious that hp's own gaming hub has the undervolting feature but just can't get past intel's sgx security.I wouldn't be shocked to find out intel and microsoft going behind hp's back to release this bios update since you can't find it on hp's driver page... not to mention that even if you disable sgx/secure boot/virtualization it still doesn't work so I have no idea what software should be removed for this to be reenabled
muiehp.png

pietro_romeo

Have any of you contact hp support?
I’ve been in touch so far they’ve had me to do the whole reboot and restore bios etc, they even sent me the f.31 installation file for usb but as you Gus already know it’s greyed out to install as a newer version is currently installed. I’ve tried the rollback feature with either, not meant for this machine error or it’s to old version, they’ve had me do a power shell and sent windows update.log and sent them the file along with IDR log and and hpassistant.log

hopefully they’re quicker this time that the last
Time there was and os update knocking this feature out. I guess if enough of us get onto HP they’ll sort it. Im not even in warranty any more but they seem to be looking to take steps

grimman18

Might give it a go getting in contact with hp's support I mean.But I wouldn't hold my breath corporations don't care about the consumer unless it's a huge uproar which culminates in a public scandal or a class action lawsuit.Also I have a sneaking suspicion that hp's not really the one to blame here.I think intel coerced microsoft into pushing these bios updates to everyone regardless of the manufacturer through windows updates so it would patch their little exploit.I wouldn't be surprised if the major brands have no knowledge of these new undervolt disabling bios updates

pietro_romeo

Might give it a go getting in contact with hp's support I mean.But I wouldn't hold my breath corporations don't care about the consumer unless it's a huge uproar which culminates in a public scandal or a class action lawsuit.Also I have a sneaking suspicion that hp's not really the one to blame here.I think intel coerced microsoft into pushing these bios updates to everyone regardless of the manufacturer through windows updates so it would patch their little exploit.I wouldn't be surprised if the major brands have no knowledge of these new undervolt disabling bios updates
I agree it’s definitely an intel issue they’ve pushed, I wish id known before hand to not do the update. It’s definitely worth hitting hp up, I’m not in warranty anymore, although my laptop did cost 4.5k so I’d hope they would take an interest in the product lines that affect consumers that actually care about performance. I’m filthy on the situation as I liquid metalled my cpu and GPU and the thing was performing a beast and not even reaching 84c running at 4ghz on all 8. Now it’s sitting at 60c @ 3.5ghz which might seem petty but I definitely notice it on video editing. If enough of us complain maybe hp will bring a bypass patch or enable a rollback somehow

grimman18

it happened again the fivr window was unlocked and I was able to dial in my settings. Unfortunately it bsod after a cinebench r20 test so I might have gone overboard with the cpu cache...I'll test some more maybe delete throttlestop.ini and hope that it becomes customizable again.Apparently it's completely random I always check the fivr window on each startup it might just be unlocked.Also the ts bench score has improved from something like 93.700 the cinebenchr20 single core was about 3000 before the blue screen came along.Sometimes it's grayed out sometimes it isn't still on the pl1 limit of 45w which is hardcoded and can't be pushed further I get 3.8 on all cores from the default sub 3.5.Seems like the offsets are being applied but might revert if bsod persists hope a new bios version comes along or some other permanent solution
hpusul1.png

shadow1203

Any luck with customer support helping with the downgrade ? The Win + B method with the USB Stick just results in a black screen with the fans ramping up, my voltage controls are always locked, would love to have any way to get back control over my laptop

grimman18

I reached out to them on the forum but I only received some bot like replies update drivers/bios/firmware told me to reset the cmos battery which didn't work v+windows key+power button then release the power button and keep pressing the v+windows key.They never addressed the fact that i can't undervolt anymore and the bios can't be downgraded.I tried using this https://github.com/XDleader555/grub_setup_var/releases to disable the overcloking lock and cfg lock plus enabling the overclocking feature but nothing.What I did experience is that sometimes on startup it will randomly unlock fivr but didn't figure out how or why.Since my laptop is out of warranty if I want to talk to a representative over the phone I have to pay extra which I won't since they'll give me the same bland and evasive response.The hp forum is full of ppl complaining about the new bios update which locked undervolt and nobody knows what to do.I guess if you're desperate you can try using this https://mreggtart.com/posts/undervolting-windows-11-powermonkey/

grimman18

I found a way to consistently unlock the FIVR window when I bootup it's locked but if I put the laptop to sleep and then wake it the voltages are always unlocked.The only problem is that I don't know how to keep the setting at the next boot the offsets always go back to the default 0.It's strange because sometimes the FIVR windows would be unlocked at startup and after that the offsets would consistently remain even if the settings would get locked.In those situations even if I deleted the throttlestop.ini the offsets would still remain only solution would be to reinstall the bios by rolling back to the same version.So if someone could figure out how to get the offsets to remain permanent I think we're golden even with the new bios

Ok I finally found a solution that works for me I rolled back the bios to the same version f.35 since you can't downgrade but I played around with the setup_var grub mod so I wanted a fresh start.In the bios I only disabled the virtualization since I don't use it and it might not be necessary anyway and in the turn off windows features I disabled the hyper-v and the virtual machine platform.Next I put the notebook to sleep after waking it up the FIVR window is unlocked dialed in the cpu core and cache offsets and disabled the thermal velocity boost.After that just exit throttlestop and go to the ini file to edit these 2 lines FIVRVoltage23=0xF0000000 and Unlockvoltage23=1 for some reason the save voltage immediately didn't work so had to edit the ini for the offsets to remain after shutdown/restart.Now when you bootup again the FIVR window will be locked again but the offsets will be applied and the tvb box will remain unticked also lowered the turbo ratio limits and they remain saved.

Don't know if this will work for every hp omen laptop/bios update but maybe it'll help someone else out.Ohh and if you like me tried some crazy values and get blue screen just put the laptop to sleep so that you can edit the values again.Also deleting the ini file won't erase the offsets so if you get constant bsod only option is rolling back bios by pressing F2 and going to firmware management.If you do try this out please let me know if it works for you as well.Got a cinebench r 20 score of 3105 and a r 23 multi core score of 7702 and single of 1163 from temp of 97 degrees with around 3.47 ghz all core to a 3.79 with a temperature of 77.Dropped the ratios down from 50/49/47/46/45/43 to 45/44/42/41/40/38 since pl2 has a 45w power limit so even 100mhz will make it climb to 47w and after a short while power throttle also the temp go up by about 6-8 degrees so not worth it for me

grimman18

FALSE ALARM YOU CAN'T SAVE THE VOLTAGE OFFSETS SINCE IT'S HARDLOCKED FROM THE BIOS SO WHEN IT'S SHUTDOWN IT RESETS.Only solution is put it to sleep so you can edit the FIVR window and never or rarely shut it down since it will reset.It's not that bad of a compromise actually since I use it daily putting it to sleep doesn't sound that bad

pietro_romeo

Had this from hp so they must be aware of it, so
I’m guess bios roll back will be in the works or some kind of patch for the software
72E8C1CF-2635-405F-B267-7D78057C57E7.png

grimman18

Interesting thanks for the update on the hp support front hopefully they are indeed working on fixing this issue and aren't just blowing smoke up our collective assholes. We'll see at the end of the month what happens

SweViking

I got a windows update yesterday with the bios update which fixed the problem. Now I can undervolt again :) I must say im surprised how fast they rolled out a fix.. oh well back to low temps again!

Last edited: