• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP OMEN i5 9300h gtx 1660ti 16gb ram undervolting

Galaxio

Hello folks, I'm new to this forum. Played beta age of mythology retold, did stress test (ingame stress test app), gpu is fine 60-70C but cpu gets to 85-95C. What would be optimal undervolting with throttlestop for this type of laptop. I did cleaning and repaste today (maybe it wont need undervolting but just to be sure), next beta testing is in 2 days, only 3 hours for 3 days so I want to be prepared :D. Ingame settings were set to max settings as soon as I opened game so I guess it can run it like that, also benchmark ingame test was green so it should work without throttle and lags but I had them. These are sys req for game https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/age-of-mythology-retold/23442 . I just opened throttle stop and pressed limits button and 3 yellow marked options and Core (THERMAL, PL1), Ring (EDP OTHER) options missing now, how to turn them back on? I also set power options maximum processor state on battery and plugged in to 99%, lowered temp for other games but turbo does not work like that so it's better to set it back to 100%?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
optimal undervolting
The only way to determine what is optimal for you laptop is to adjust the voltage and test your laptop.

Yellow boxes in Limit Reasons confirm that there was previously some throttling. This can happen during boot up. Yellow boxes come and go. They are not that important.

Watch for red boxes, especially under the CORE column. A red box indicates that throttling is in progress. That is important.

I also set power options maximum processor state on battery and plugged in to 99%
The 99% trick disables Intel Turbo Boost. A slow CPU will run cooler compared to the same CPU running at its full rated speed. I would avoid the 99% trick. Leave the max at 100%.

If you want to control the maximum CPU speed then try checking the Speed Shift box in the TPL window and lower the Speed Shift Max value. That gives you more control over CPU speed vs heat output.

Post some screenshots including the FIVR and TPL windows if you need help. Many HP laptops that have been updated will have many useful features disabled. It is impossible to make suggestions if I cannot see your present settings.

Galaxio

Played the game today and no red boxes but highest temp was 87C, all max settings though, CORE PL1 and PL2 is in yellow box and ring EDP OTHER also yellow. Is that too high or normal? Here are screenshots and log, tnx for your help and answer :).
The only way to determine what is optimal for you laptop is to adjust the voltage and test your laptop.

Yellow boxes in Limit Reasons confirm that there was previously some throttling. This can happen during boot up. Yellow boxes come and go. They are not that important.

Watch for red boxes, especially under the CORE column. A red box indicates that throttling is in progress. That is important.

The 99% trick disables Intel Turbo Boost. A slow CPU will run cooler compared to the same CPU running at its full rated speed. I would avoid the 99% trick. Leave the max at 100%.

If you want to control the maximum CPU speed then try checking the Speed Shift box in the TPL window and lower the Speed Shift Max value. That gives you more control over CPU speed vs heat output.

Post some screenshots including the FIVR and TPL windows if you need help. Many HP laptops that have been updated will have many useful features disabled. It is impossible to make suggestions if I cannot see your present settings.

Attachments

• tpl1.jpeg
    tpl1.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 21
  • fivr1.jpeg
    fivr1.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2024-07-26.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

unclewebb

Have you tried undervolting? In the FIVR window check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage box for the core and the cache. Setting the core and the cache to a negative offset of -100 mV is a good place to start testing. Undervolting can help reduce your CPU temperature.

Some users with similar CPUs are 100% stable with the cache at -125 mV and the core up towards -175 mV. Do some TS Bench 960M testing when adjusting the voltages. There should not be any errors reported or crashes during this test. If that looks OK, try playing a game. If there are any stability problems in any application or game when undervolting, that is a good sign that you have gone too far. A crash is the CPU's way of requesting more voltage.

Cinebench R23 is a good full load test. It will provide you with a score so you can compare your results to other users with the same CPU. Watch the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons window for any signs of throttling while Cinebench is running.

In the TPL window I would check the MMIO Lock box, I would clear the Disable Controls box and I would set Long Power PL1 to 60 instead of 45. Your temperatures are fine, especially after you do a little bit of undervolting. Do not update the BIOS, ever, or you might find that CPU voltage control has been locked out and is disabled. A newer BIOS is not a better BIOS.

Galaxio

Have you tried undervolting? In the FIVR window check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage box for the core and the cache. Setting the core and the cache to a negative offset of -100 mV is a good place to start testing. Undervolting can help reduce your CPU temperature.

Some users with similar CPUs are 100% stable with the cache at -125 mV and the core up towards -175 mV. Do some TS Bench 960M testing when adjusting the voltages. There should not be any errors reported or crashes during this test. If that looks OK, try playing a game. If there are any stability problems in any application or game when undervolting, that is a good sign that you have gone too far. A crash is the CPU's way of requesting more voltage.

Cinebench R23 is a good full load test. It will provide you with a score so you can compare your results to other users with the same CPU. Watch the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons window for any signs of throttling while Cinebench is running.

In the TPL window I would check the MMIO Lock box, I would clear the Disable Controls box and I would set Long Power PL1 to 60 instead of 45. Your temperatures are fine, especially after you do a little bit of undervolting. Do not update the BIOS, ever, or you might find that CPU voltage control has been locked out and is disabled. A newer BIOS is not a better BIOS.
If I set anything more than -100mv my laptop shows blue screen or my mouse freeze and need to force restart, why does that happen and is -100mv on both enough?

unclewebb

why does that happen
The amount of voltage a CPU needs and how much you can undervolt reliably varies from one CPU to the next. That is why every undervolt has to be thoroughly tested with a variety of apps and games is important.

is -100mv on both enough?
If any more causes instability then that is enough. Maybe it might be too much. Do lots of testing to find out.