• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have a broken screen S8 phone and i want to turn it into a tablet using an external old chromebook touchscreen

bashar_alakily

hi i have this partially usable S8 phone and i want to turn it into a tablet through dex feature
i saw this video on youtube (
) he turned it into a laptop
i got a chromebook touchscreen and i cloudnt find the right control board for it
if anyone could help me with this or know if its possible to make it into a tablet i want to use it mainly for drawing
i looked for some portable monitors and i found some but they are expensive FR

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
hi i have this partially usable S8 phone and i want to turn it into a tablet through dex feature
i saw this video on youtube (
) he turned it into a laptop
i got a chromebook touchscreen and i cloudnt find the right control board for it
if anyone could help me with this or know if its possible to make it into a tablet i want to use it mainly for drawing
i looked for some portable monitors and i found some but they are expensive FR
Might be good to contact the guy in the video

S8 is already old, the soc probably wont be smooth in DEX usage as its already eol, so no more update + stuck on android 9
except maybe you use custom rom

i just quick watch the vids, he dont using display "touchscreen", rather bluetooth keyboard/mouse, right ?

not sure what board he made/use, but incase for DEX mode, look for S8 Dex station, maybe you can get cheap somewhere
it have usb, hdmi port and ethernet, so you can connect things more easily

edit : i remember i ever read how to unlock dex on other forums, quick digging i find this youtube vids, you need to rooted the phones + install modified kernel, it shouldnt be a problem with eol phones, but if you want to keep stock, then finding cheap dex station would be the choice

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
If you just want to do it for gigs as a project - then it's fine.

I jerry-rigged a similar thing a couple of months ago, when we had very bad power outages(2-3 hours with power followed by 6-8 hours without).
Rigged a semi-working S22 with a DEX dongle, hooked up to a portable 14" touchscreen monitor, and with a good-ole Logitech K400 it became a desktop/AIO which can be powered for a day or two from my ghetto 500Wh charging station.

So, if you value your time - just buy a portable monitor. And if you still want to make one on your own, then you need to check the LCD model on your chromebook. If its a panel with on-cell touch screen - you can use the same scaler as Matt has in his video, or get something like this:

Or search for something like "eDP control board with touchscreen". Normally it's a 40-pin eDP connector(just make sure the included cable matches the size on your LCD, cause there are two variants: wide and narrow).

Or maybe forego the whole "phone as PC" and just fix that chromebook.