• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5 9300H cooling hitting max troth limits

darius996500

i need help with cooling my lenovo legion 5 with this specs rtx 2060 i5 9300h & 16 gb ram
what shall i try first undervolting? limiting the W starting to throttle at an lower temp? , i already changed thoday the paste with thermal grizzly kryonaut but this laptop is still how ( i got +600 more score on cinebench so i know the paste actually did something) i will attach some photos of the coller and the default settings of thstop for begining

Attachments

• poza capac.jpg
    poza capac.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • poza full.jpg
    poza full.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • doar cpu.jpg
    doar cpu.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image.png
    image.png
    44 KB · Views: 60

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
default settings
Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows. Those are the important settings. Turn on the Log File option to create a record of your CPU performance whiletesting. Attach a log file to your next post.

darius996500

in the first part of the logs i tried put the max throth temp to 75 c and then unlocked it to what lenovo put it , 94 c i dont know much for the procesors but my main goal it to keep the lifespan good and still have better performance in games ... i know an ez fix would be to desable turbo but that inpacts in performance a lot

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 39
  • ima7ge.png
    ima7ge.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 2024-07-27.txt
    58.2 KB · Views: 23

unclewebb

i tried put the max throttle temp to 75 c
There is no reason to do that. The Intel default throttling temperature for your CPU is 100°C. Reducing the throttling temperature to 75°C will significantly reduce performance. It will not make your laptop last any longer. Both 75°C and 99°C are normal and safe operating temperatures for an Intel CPU.

I do not know why your 9300H is reporting such high power consumption. Most similar 4 core CPUs max out at not much over 45W. Your CPU is reporting power consumption way beyond that. What full load test were you running when logging data? Running something crazy like the Prime95 Small FFTs test is overkill for most laptops.

It is possible that your CPU is simply a poor quality CPU that needs lots of voltage to run stable. This can create high power consumption and high temperatures. It is definitely a good candidate for some undervolting. Try setting both the core and the cache to a negative offset of -100 mV. That should help. Similar CPUs are still stable with the cache at approximately -125 mV and the core up to around -175 mV. Do lots of testing when making any voltage adjustments. I find it is best to make small voltage adjustments and then use your computer as you normally would. After undervolting, a computer should not randomly crash whether playing a game or when your computer is idle. Any crashes means your CPU needs more voltage.

After you undervolt try running another log file. The max CPU temperature will likely be exactly the same. Less voltage will allow your CPU to run faster because it will not need to thermal throttle quite as much. Play a game or do something that you normally plan to use your computer for. Keep away from Prime95 or similar overkill benchmarking tools.

i know an easy fix would be to disable turbo but that impacts in performance a lot
I agree. Instead of using Disable Turbo, try lowering the turbo power limits in the TPL window. Check the MMIO Lock box near the top right of the TPL window. Clear the Disable Controls box and set both PL1 and PL2 to 60W or 55W or to whatever values you like. Less power will reduce maximum performance and maximum temperatures. Doing this is a better compromise compared to checking Disable Turbo.

darius996500

i started undervolting from 125 to 200 the cache can resist until 200 but only on old verion of intel extreme tunning utility under stress , as i seen the max the pc can handle atm its both with 140 i tried with 150 both and will pass all the tests but if i stai afk 2 min on desktop will just bluescreen by its own , now with 140 on both i managed to play forza4 with extreme settings and did an prime 95 test ,i consider it to be an safe undervolt for now but i dont know if its really safe bbecause if i connect an hdmi i just get the bluescreen while connected , anyway im not looking for playing with an external monitor anytime soon , as for your questions yes i used prime 95 in those tests i also used it here but put forza 4 too there i will attach the 150 undervolt too idk if it will help u or not keep in mind i crashed at 150 , i didnt mess with any of the tpl but i will soon after u respond mby u have something else to say abt this ... my only questions are id the undervolt is safe if i crash intantly when i plug an hdmi in the pc , temps were indeed the same,waiting for ur reply:)

i started undervolting from 125 to 200 the cache can resist until 200 but only on old verion of intel extreme tunning utility under stress , as i seen the max the pc can handle atm its both with 140 i tried with 150 both and will pass all the tests but if i stai afk 2 min on desktop will just bluescreen by its own , now with 140 on both i managed to play forza4 with extreme settings and did an prime 95 test ,i consider it to be an safe undervolt for now but i dont know if its really safe bbecause if i connect an hdmi i just get the bluescreen while connected , anyway im not looking for playing with an external monitor anytime soon , as for your questions yes i used prime 95 in those tests i also used it here but put forza 4 too there i will attach the 150 undervolt too idk if it will help u or not keep in mind i crashed at 150 , i didnt mess with any of the tpl but i will soon after u respond mby u have something else to say abt this ... my only questions are id the undervolt is safe if i crash intantly when i plug an hdmi in the pc , temps were indeed the same,waiting for ur reply:)
forgot to add that i started with 25mv difference like 200 175 ... until i got to 150 and started to lower by 10 shall i reconsider to change the cache to its maximum potential ,or core it wont be by a lot forsure mby 160 or 170 i didnt wanted to do that because while looks stable in some games im getting a lot of lag but not like the fps more like the ping ,latency where i teleport back or the game dosent freeze but moves (or skippes) 2-5 frames witch is very annoying (all of these happening on an game that dosent needs internet connection to run like forza or cs with bots it is not obligated to run with internet

Attachments

• da.png
    da.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 23
  • da2.png
    da2.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 140 all prime 95.txt
    49.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 140 forza4 max.txt
    50.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 150 and 150 with prime95.txt
    41.9 KB · Views: 17

unclewebb

a lot of lag
I see some BD PROCHOT throttling in the log file. Try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. This type of throttling is severe and rarely necessary. It might be what is causing the lag. Your computer will still be able to thermal throttle if the CPU gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not.

Prime95 is overkill for most laptops. it causes constant thermal throttling. The vast majority of laptops do not have the cooling necessary to run Prime95 at full speed without overheating. Torturing your laptop by running Prime95 does not really accomplish anything.

Can you run the TS Bench 960M test without any errors being reported with the core and cache offsets at -150 mV? Many similar CPUs will start reporting TS Bench errors when the cache offset undervolt is beyond -130 mV.

darius996500

while i passed the 170 cache did not gave any errors i went to try 180 same as there but when it finished i got crashed , i think the max core its -145 while the cache is between -150 to -170 , i didnt had any problems with it beeing at -140 i will start to test its potential from 170 to 150

Attachments

• 140 both.png
    140 both.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 145 core 150 cache.png
    145 core 150 cache.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 150both.png
    150both.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 145 core 170 cache.png
    145 core 170 cache.png
    119 KB · Views: 23

darius996500

while i passed the 170 cache did not gave any errors i went to try 180 same as there but when it finished i got crashed , i think the max core its -145 while the cache is between -150 to -170 , i didnt had any problems with it beeing at -140 i will start to test its potential from 170 to 150
found that 160 its the best :)