• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7-1355U

Gigo

Good afternoon,

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Book 3; from what I understood scrolling forums and reviews, undervolting and overclocking are locked. I still want to use ThrottleStop for its included Windows Defender Boost feature, so I was wondering if there's anything else I can set on the Main Window and on the Turbo Power Limits window to optimize my config. EDP OTHER is constantly yellow under all three columns, and shows red when I'm for example running a Visual Studio project.

Thank you unclewebb for your amazing work over these past years!

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Book 3; from what I understood scrolling forums and reviews, undervolting and overclocking are locked. I still want to use ThrottleStop for its included Windows Defender Boost feature, so I was wondering if there's anything else I can set on the Main Window and on the Turbo Power Limits window to optimize my config.
You can limit the clock in Speed Shift min-max in TPL and maybe you can change the power limits by checking MMIO Lock.

Reactions: vgm

Gigo

You can limit the clock in Speed Shift min-max in TPL and maybe you can change the power limits by checking MMIO Lock.
How does this look? 28 Min and 41 Max in the Speed Shift row?
1714316920968.png

How does this look? 28 Min and 41 Max in the Speed Shift row?
View attachment 345446
Did you change Speed Shift in TPL?

This seems strange since the maximum value should be 50 (5.0GHz) corresponding to the maximum clock rate of the P-cores.

What must be allowed on this CPU is to limit (decrease) the maximum clock and not increase it.

What is the value of PL1 and PL2 in performance mode originally?

Gigo

Did you change Speed Shift in TPL?

This seems strange since the maximum value should be 50 (5.0GHz) corresponding to the maximum clock rate of the P-cores.

What must be allowed on this CPU is to limit (decrease) the maximum clock and not increase it.

What is the value of PL1 and PL2 in performance mode originally?
I attached the default settings

Attachments

• 1714323713198.png
    1714323713198.png
    424.8 KB · Views: 26

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I was wondering if there's anything else I can set on the Main Window and on the Turbo Power Limits window to optimize my config
As you know, 13th Gen U CPUs are locked down so there is not much you can do. Try setting Power Limit 4 to a value of 0 in the TPL window. This might help with the EDP throttling problem. Setting this to 0 tells the CPU to ignore this limit.

Your temperatures look good so near the top right corner of the TPL window, I would check the MMIO Lock box. I would clear the Disable Controls box and I would set both PL1 and PL2 to 41W. I think your cooling system can easily handle running your CPU at higher power limit values without having to worry about any overheating.

After you make these changes, turn on the Log File option on the main screen and use your computer for at least 15 minutes. Run Cinebench or run whatever tasks you normally run. Attach a log file when you are finished testing if you want me to check it for any problems.

Thank you unclewebb for your amazing work over these past years!
You are welcome. Always nice to hear from happy users. ThrottleStop has helped transform a lot of laptops since the Core 2 Duo era 15 years ago. Time flies when you are having fun.

Reactions: vgm
As you know, 13th Gen U CPUs are locked down so there is not much you can do. Try setting Power Limit 4 to a value of 0 in the TPL window. This might help with the EDP throttling problem. Setting this to 0 tells the CPU to ignore this limit.

Your temperatures look good so near the top right corner of the TPL window, I would check the MMIO Lock box. I would clear the Disable Controls box and I would set both PL1 and PL2 to 41W. I think your cooling system can easily handle running your CPU at higher power limit values without having to worry about any overheating.

After you make these changes, turn on the Log File option on the main screen and use your computer for at least 15 minutes. Run Cinebench or run whatever tasks you normally run. Attach a log file when you are finished testing if you want me to check it for any problems.

You are welcome. Always nice to hear from happy users. ThrottleStop has helped transform a lot of laptops since the Core 2 Duo era 15 years ago. Time flies when you are having fun.
Is this maximum value of 64 in Speed Shift normal?

The max P-core clock of this i7-1355U is 5.0GHz...

unclewebb

Is this maximum value of 64 in Speed Shift normal?
ThrottleStop reads the default Speed Shift Max value (64) from the CPU. I am not sure why Intel writes such high Speed Shift Max values to the CPU. This is not the only CPU that I have seen with such a high default value. I do not think setting Speed Shift Max to 64 instead of 50 is going to increase performance. Any value higher than necessary will be ignored by the CPU.

Gigo

Hope I understood the suggestions correctly

Attachments

• 2024-04-29.txt
    95.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 1714424414885.png
    1714424414885.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 17

unclewebb

Your settings look OK. Does EDP OTHER still light up and stay red during your Visual Studio projects? There is some occasional EDP throttling but with no access to the FIVR or IccMax settings, there is nothing you can do about that.

Your laptop seems to be running at a decent speed when there is a load on the CPU. Most of the log file data is when your computer is lightly loaded. Try running a full load stress test like Cinebench so the load is consistent. Run a new log file for that test.

Gigo

Your settings look OK. Does EDP OTHER still light up and stay red during your Visual Studio projects? There is some occasional EDP throttling but with no access to the FIVR or IccMax settings, there is nothing you can do about that.

Your laptop seems to be running at a decent speed when there is a load on the CPU. Most of the log file data is when your computer is lightly loaded. Try running a full load stress test like Cinebench so the load is consistent. Run a new log file for that test.
Here's the log during Cinebench:

Attachments

• 2024-04-30.txt
    51.7 KB · Views: 21

unclewebb

Your Samsung Galaxy Book 3 uses under designed voltage regulators. They simply do not have what it takes to get maximum performance out of a 1355U CPU. The log file looks like a smorgasbord of throttling reasons.

It starts off with some EDP current limit throttling in the log file during a full load stress test. Next up are VR TDC messages. The voltage regulators are triggering throttling because they have reached their TDC current limit. This causes the voltage regulators to overheat so you start seeing VR TEMP messages. These various throttling reasons alternate as performance goes up and down like a yo-yo. At times this causes the CPU to slow down to one third of its rated speed.

I have never been a big fan of Samsung laptops and after seeing this performance, I will continue to avoid them. Hopefully your laptop is fine for what you use it for. It does not have the chops for any heavy loads. You can play around with ThrottleStop but this will never solve the problem of barely adequate or inadequate voltage regulators.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Your Samsung Galaxy Book 3 uses under designed voltage regulators. They simply do not have what it takes to get maximum performance out of a 1355U CPU. The log file looks like a smorgasbord of throttling reasons.

It starts off with some EDP current limit throttling in the log file during a full load stress test. Next up are VR TDC messages. The voltage regulators are triggering throttling because they have reached their TDC current limit. This causes the voltage regulators to overheat so you start seeing VR TEMP messages. These various throttling reasons alternate as performance goes up and down like a yo-yo. At times this causes the CPU to slow down to one third of its rated speed.

I have never been a big fan of Samsung laptops and after seeing this performance, I will continue to avoid them. Hopefully your laptop is fine for what you use it for. It does not have the chops for any heavy loads. You can play around with ThrottleStop but this will never solve the problem of barely adequate or inadequate voltage regulators.
What? All these years in development and ThrottleStop still lacks a checkbox to enable proper VRMs? :p

Here's the log during Cinebench:
i would experiment with reducing PL1 to 28-35W to try and get more consistent performance.

PL2 you can try with same values between 28 and 35W.

From your log I believe that your system doesn't support anything above 35W, even for a few seconds.

Last edited:

Gigo

Well, thankfully I don't really need this one to go to the moon; I've just barely started programming using Visual Studio, so it will probably be a while before I'd need serious specs for serious projects.
i would experiment with reducing PL1 to 28-35W to try and get more consistent performance.

PL2 you can try with same values between 28 and 35W.

From your log I believe that your system doesn't support anything above 35W, even for a few seconds.
Do I keep Power Limit 4 to 0 as previous unclewebb's suggestion?

Well, thankfully I don't really need this one to go to the moon; I've just barely started programming using Visual Studio, so it will probably be a while before I'd need serious specs for serious projects.

Do I keep Power Limit 4 to 0 as previous unclewebb's suggestion?
Yes

unclewebb

Do I keep Power Limit 4 to 0
I would.

Just adjust the PL1 and PL2 power limits to what your voltage regulators can handle. You want to avoid seeing any VR related messages in the log file.

Set PL1 = 28 or 30 and PL2 = 30 to 35. I would set the turbo time limit to a maximum of about 8 seconds. The default 41W PL2 value for 56 seconds requires more power than the voltage regulators are capable of delivering.

Adjusting the power limits to control your CPU is probably going to be better than the voltage regulators living life on the edge of self destruction.

Its limitation comes from very limited VRMs that probably overheat quickly due to the lack of specific cooling on them.

Cooling on the CPU seems good and you could probably work with higher power limits if the VRMs weren't limited.

Maybe if you can improve the temperatures of the VRMs you could have better performance.

Do you have a picture of the laptop open without the bottom cover?

Gigo

Its limitation comes from very limited VRMs that probably overheat quickly due to the lack of specific cooling on them.

Cooling on the CPU seems good and you could probably work with higher power limits if the VRMs weren't limited.

Maybe if you can improve the temperatures of the VRMs you could have better performance.

Do you have a picture of the laptop open without the bottom cover?
Just bought this laptop, don't really wanna mess with its hardware too much, I guess I'll just limit myself to the things you guys helped me with.