• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7-8650u Surface Book 2

veku

Hello! In the past year or so I experienced a lot of throttling while running stuff that used to not give me any issue, such as PCSX2 or Dolphin.
Usually after opening throttlestop (which in itself takes a while to do because the PC is so slow it's almost unusable) and disabling BD Prochot my PC goes back to normal. However in some cases my PC will shutdown itself after another continuining for 30 minutes or so.
I wanted to underclock the CPU following some threads I found in this forum, but for some reason it doesn't let me do so in FIVR. I could change settings in TPL though.
What can I do to improve the situation?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Your screenshots show that you have Windows VBS enabled. Follow the link in my signature to disable core isolation memory integrity, etc. Exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and reboot after you get VBS disabled.

When the FIVR turbo ratios are locked out, you can adjust the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window to limit the maximum speed of your CPU. Consider replacing the thermal paste with Honeywell PTM 7950. A laptop that is overdue for some maintenance might be the real problem.

veku

Thank you!

I disabled VBS

So if I set TPL Speed Shift max to 38 then my CPU is limited to 3.8 GHz, right? It's the same as turbo ratio limits basically?
Also above it says "Min 4" but it's set to 1 by default, is this ok?
Here are my current settings:

About the thermal paste I don't think I'll be able to, I heard it's pretty problematic to open up my laptop so I'd rather avoid that, but thanks for the advice!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
above it says "Min 4"
The minimum multiplier your CPU can use is 4. It does not matter if you set Speed Shift Min to 1, 2, 3 or 4. The results should be exactly the same.

It's the same as turbo ratio limits basically?
On my 10850K it is.

Run something simple like the TS Bench test. Adjust the Speed Shift Max value while the CPU is loaded and you should see the CPU speed change. When Speed Shift Max is set to 50 my CPU runs at 5000 MHz and when it is set to 40, I get this.

1725051319310.png

That is the best way to learn ThrottleStop. Run some simple tests. Kind of like a grade 4 science class.

veku

Thank you, did some tests today and it seems to be working well!
And yes, you're right, TS Bench was very helpful!