• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IBM scientists have captured 330TB of uncompressed data into a tiny cartridge

System Name AlderLake
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Capture.JPG

IBM scientist Dr. Mark Lantz, holds a one square inch piece of sputtered tape, which can hold 201 Gigabytes, a new world record. Photo: IBM Research

"In a new world record, scientists at IBM have captured 330 terabytes of uncompressed data — or the equivalent of 330 million books — into a cartridge that can fit into the palm of your hand. The record of 201 gigabits per square inch on prototype sputtered magnetic tape is more than 20 times the areal density currently used in commercial tape drives. Areal recording density is the amount of information that can be stored on a given area of surface.

Tape drives were invented over 60 years ago and were traditionally used for archiving tax documents and health care records. IBM’s first tape unit used reels of half-inch-wide tape that could only hold about 2 megabytes."

Capture2 (2).JPG

A cross section of the prototype sputtered magnetic tape. Image: Sony

"The magnetic tape was developed by Sony Storage Media Solutions, and the milestone indicates the viability of continuing to scale up storage on tapes for another decade, IBM said.

“Tape has traditionally been used for video archives, back-up files, replicas for disaster recovery and retention of information on premise, but the industry is also expanding to off-premise applications in the cloud,” said IBM fellow Evangelos Eleftheriou in a statement. “While sputtered tape is expected to cost a little more to manufacture than current commercial tape, the potential for very high capacity will make the cost per terabyte very attractive, making this technology practical for cold storage in the cloud.”"

"In order for researchers to achieve the 201 gigabits per square inch, IBM researchers had to develop several new technologies. IBM worked closely with Sony for several years, particularly on enabling increased areal recording densities. “The results of this collaboration have led to various improvements in the media technology, such as advanced roll-to-roll technology for long sputtered tape fabrication and better lubricant technology, which stabilizes the functionality of the magnetic tape.”"

Capture3.JPG

Image: IBM

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/2/1...rd-uncompressed-data-cartridge-cartridge-tape

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW | Sapphire PULSE RX 590
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Knowledge will definitely increase.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Im surprised at this, honestly. Considering the direction enterprise is going in getting rid of physical media for backups...hell, my former employer was 10-15 years behind and we got rid of our tape (LTO4) and silo over 3 years ago... even for archived data we moved it to disk.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Im surprised at this, honestly. Considering the direction enterprise is going in getting rid of physical media for backups...hell, my former employer was 10-15 years behind and we got rid of our tape (LTO4) and silo over 3 years ago... even for archived data we moved it to disk.

With more data, there is more cold storage, its an inevitable side effect. And if you don't cold store it, someone else will be doing it for you somewhere.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
With more data, there is more cold storage, its an inevitable side effect. And if you don't cold store it, someone else will be doing it for you somewhere.
We didnt have any cold storage. It was backed up locally to disk and sent offsite to disk. We actually had 'instant' replication enabled so it replicated the backup data to our offsite storage just about as it was being written.

State Farm (largest insurance company - arse load of data) is also in the process of going tapeless (father in law works there in storage).

Not saying all companies are going this way, but it most certainly is a trend moving away from physical media like tape. ;)

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Very nice.

I a load of tapes back in the day. Instead of Zip Drives, my friends and I bought IDE-based tape drive units off some auction site (eBay wasn't the only one back then). They could hold 120MB - 400MB and were priced well compared to Zips.