• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after BIOS unlock [SOLVED]

brodo

I own an Acer Nitro5 515-75 gaming laptop and lately I got obsessed with lowering its CPU voltage due to insane overheating.
came accross this BIOS mod on youtube which would unlock an advanced version of the standard factory BIOS.

Long story short it works, problem is, I might have set something wrong cause now the C: drive cannot be found.
System gives BSOD, if I enter cmd I can only see X: drive. can't repair, reinstall, nothing.

I'm sure it has something to do with the SATA connection or AHCI settings, a topic I'm not good at.
After many trials and errors in the bios settings I managed to set something right cause pc booted normally. problem was it couldn't recognize the ext GPU, so I made a bios reset: worst error I could make. now it's misconfigured again and I have no idea what I touched.

can I get help on this issue? thanks

i7 11800H
RTX 3060
16BG DDR4
1TB WD NVMe

Last edited:

brodo

hi, I tried already to restore it but bios is not recognizing any external usb drives atm

thanks for your reply

System Name Regular PC | Server HP Z440
Processor 9700k | E5-2698v3
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X-CF | Stock mobo
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B | Stock HS
Memory 32 GB (8x4) | 112 GB (8x2 + 16x6)
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super | K4000
Storage 970 EVO+ 1TB | 860 1TB x2
Display(s) XV340CK x2, 1080p x2
Power Supply Corsair RM750x | Corsair RM750e
Software Pop!_OS | Proxmox
It's nothing to do with ahci or ide sata settings, that will cause issues like, attempting to boot, showing you the loading-orbs and w10/w11 icon, then bsod after a few seconds.

What is likely the issue is csm/legacy boot vs uefi boot.

You can use the recovery environment to locate your partitions. If the recovery environment let's you use diskpart: diskpart> select disk 0
Diskpart> list partition

I'd that doesn't show you 3/4 partitions, you're using legacy boot and you'll want to enable that in bios. Or enable efi boot otherwise (you probably have efi if you used the os and never touched setting before)

Common other commands you might want to run are:
Bootrec /scanos

This will scan your drive for a bootloader.

While in X: recovery environment, try locating your C: which might be assigned a non "C" letter. Use command "C:" and other letters followed by a colon. Once you get a hit, use "dir" and see if the disk is your "C:" drive.

Once you confirm bios settings and C: drive accessibility, you can rebuild your efi partition easily, if that's dead (it probably isn't though).

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Bitlocker can be an issue.

brodo

It's nothing to do with ahci or ide sata settings, that will cause issues like, attempting to boot, showing you the loading-orbs and w10/w11 icon, then bsod after a few seconds.

What is likely the issue is csm/legacy boot vs uefi boot.

You can use the recovery environment to locate your partitions. If the recovery environment let's you use diskpart: diskpart> select disk 0
Diskpart> list partition

I'd that doesn't show you 3/4 partitions, you're using legacy boot and you'll want to enable that in bios. Or enable efi boot otherwise (you probably have efi if you used the os and never touched setting before)

Common other commands you might want to run are:
Bootrec /scanos

This will scan your drive for a bootloader.

While in X: recovery environment, try locating your C: which might be assigned a non "C" letter. Use command "C:" and other letters followed by a colon. Once you get a hit, use "dir" and see if the disk is your "C:" drive.

Once you confirm bios settings and C: drive accessibility, you can rebuild your efi partition easily, if that's dead (it probably isn't though).

I'm trying to mess around with the settings but lots of them have similar names for this partition thing. I will keep trying.

thanks for ur reply

I don't see any settings for BitLocker in the bios unless they're called differently.

P.S. I did clear CMOS cause I noticed lots of settings didnt save in BIOS after pressing "Load Default settings". still isnt helping

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I don't see any settings for BitLocker in the bios unless they're called differently.

TPM

Don't delete a TPM key if you were using bitlocker on your drive, otherwise there is no way to access your files again(if the drive still works).

Last edited:

brodo

TPM

Don't delete a TPM key if you were using bitlocker on your drive, otherwise there is no way to access your files again(if the drive still works).
thanks!

oh man, you came in clutch. problem was that damn TPM setting. can't believe it's on by default. yesterday I was able to boot again but I had no idea how I did it.
now after disabling TPM the system boted up normally (even tho it locked me out cause PIN wasnt accessible, but I could make it with password).
now I did backup current bios settings, im planning to restore the factory one but I really wanted to tweak it in order to ThrottleStop to be able to work properly, undervolting CPU.
do you advice a clean windows install?

thanks again for ur tip

@kilo thank you again for your help as well. much appreciated!

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
TPM

I was onto something because of bitlocker but on the hw level bitlocker uses tpm.

oh man, you came in clutch. problem was that damn TPM setting. can't believe it's on by default. yesterday I was able to boot again but I had no idea how I did it.
now after disabling TPM the system boted up normally (even tho it locked me out cause PIN wasnt accessible, but I could make it with password).
now I did backup current bios settings, im planning to restore the factory one but I really wanted to tweak it in order to ThrottleStop to be able to work properly, undervolting CPU.
do you advice a clean windows install?

thanks again for ur tip

@kilo thank you again for your help as well. much appreciated!
Always presume tpm is enabled because of w11 bs, anyways it causes performance issues on some systems in games.

Bitlocker and tpm will give you a headache so never use them

brodo

I was onto something because of bitlocker but on the hw level bitlocker uses tpm.

Always presume tpm is enabled because of w11 bs, anyways it causes performance issues on some systems in games.

Bitlocker and tpm will give you a headache so never use them
yeah I remeber reading about BitLocker issues from time to time. will keep your tip in mind. thank you again