• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Arc Xe2 "Battlemage" Discrete GPUs Made on TSMC 4 nm Process

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel has reportedly chosen the TSMC 4 nm EUV foundry node for its next generation Arc Xe2 discrete GPUs based on the "Battlemage" graphics architecture. This would mark a generational upgrade from the Arc "Alchemist" family, which Intel built on the TSMC 6 nm DUV process. The TSMC N4 node offers significant increases in transistor densities, performance, and power efficiency over the N6, which is allowing Intel to nearly double the Xe cores on its largest "Battlemage" variant in numerical terms. This, coupled with increased IPC, clock speeds, and other features, should make the "Battlemage" contemporary against today's AMD RDNA 3 and NVIDIA Ada gaming GPUs. Interestingly, TSMC N4 isn't the most advanced foundry node that the Xe2 "Battlemage" is being built on. The iGPU powering Intel's Core Ultra 200V "Lunar Lake" processor is part of its Compute tile, which Intel is building on the more advanced TSMC N3 (3 nm) node.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

So all Intel’s next gen consumer CPUs and GPUs are made at TSMC? I guess that’s one way to fight the competition: take away fab capacity.

I guess that forces other companies to consider IFS’s inferior nodes. Intel gets to control third party production and limit their performance. And make money off the whole deal as well.

Intel is on fire right now with these strategies.

Intel finally found some humility and admitted that their fabs can't compete on the bleeding edge. That's the one good thing they in the last decade, why are you being so negative.

So all Intel’s next gen consumer CPUs and GPUs are made at TSMC? I guess that’s one way to fight the competition: take away fab capacity.

I guess that forces other companies to consider IFS’s inferior nodes. Intel gets to control third party production and limit their performance. And make money off the whole deal as well.

Intel is on fire right now with these strategies.

ARL-S 6+8 is made on Intel 20A, ARL-U is made on Intel 3 and PTL-H will be made on Intel 18A.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well, Intel may have made some strides forward with their own fabs, however, the simple truth is, and has been for quite some time now, is that TSMC is DA BOMB in chip fabbing, no if's, and's, or butts... otherwise why would everybody fight like crazy for their stuff, placing orders & signing contracts for capacity years in advance.....
United Kingdom Thank You GIF by PBS News

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
It seems that at Intel they are really angry that people consider them incompetent the last few years, so they are jumping at the best TSMC nodes to prove that they are still building superior designs than the competition (AMD, ARM).
AMD should be careful to not end up third even before Intel starts fixing it's manufacturing problems. Lunar Lake, Battlemage, AMD could be in trouble in a year from now in laptops and GPUs.
And considering that mobile CPUs and GPUs are the ingredients for a console APU, I wonder if Intel is trying to build the hardware foundations here to go after SONY's and MS's next consoles. And while SONY might be a difficult target, MS is in bed with Intel for decades and it needs to differentiate itself from SONY to even have a chance with it's next console. When hardware is similar, like both using AMD's APUs, SONY wins easily.

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory DDR5 6000Mhz CL28 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Palit GamingPro OC
Storage Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen.4 1TB
I though that Battlemage is on TSMC 3nm, well 3070-3070TI performance incoming for the top B770 or whaterver is called

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Software Windows 10 Pro
All the while begging for handouts at the expense of tax payer.

Not all handouts. Also the FABS they are building in the US will also benefit the US economy. There some US companies that will use their FABS instead of using china etc. Or would you rather Intel takes money from the US gov and gives nothing back? What does AMD give back? do they have FABS for US companies to make use of? Intels FABS might not be running perfectly now, but it won't always be that way, and like I have said before, at least they are not totally FABless like AMD are, which could bite them on the bum at some point.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
If you can´t FAB it, buy it from elsewhere: AMD

AMD never took jabs at Intel for going to a third party fab while tooting their horn about how great their own fabs were. oh wait, that's an Intel thing.

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
Not all handouts. Also the FABS they are building in the US will also benefit the US economy. There some US companies that will use their FABS instead of using china etc. Or would you rather Intel takes money from the US gov and gives nothing back? What does AMD give back? do they have FABS for US companies to make use of? Intels FABS might not be running perfectly now, but it won't always be that way, and like I have said before, at least they are not totally FABless like AMD are, which could bite them on the bum at some point.

Some people can support what Intel is doing without playing whataboutism with AMD. But you brought it up, so: What is AMD taking from the US gov compared to Intel that you need to call them out about "giving back?"

I see Intel getting about $20 Billion in recent subsidies and loans from the US gov and AMD getting... very little? AMD doesn't need to give back anything when they take nothing.

But Intel does, we'll see what they can do... eventually.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Case Corsair 7000D
Software Windows 10 Pro
Some people can support what Intel is doing without playing whataboutism with AMD. But you brought it up, so: What is AMD taking from the US gov compared to Intel that you need to call them out about "giving back?"

I see Intel getting about $20 Billion in recent subsidies and loans from the US gov and AMD getting... very little? AMD doesn't need to give back anything when they take nothing.

But Intel does, we'll see what they can do... eventually.

Intel is getting money to help build the FAB that will benefit the economy and other companies. You think the GOV give them money purely for the benefit of Intel? If you do, you are smoking something.

Basically, as far as you lot are concered, Intel-BAD, AMD-sparkly rainbows, puppies and fairies. I get it with TPU's AMD club, have for a long time.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Where dem bois at that always be claiming Intel nodes are soooo much more advanced……

Intel is increasing the price of GPUs and silicon for us all. They have managed to find a way to stay competitive, by interrupting the supply chain of their competitors…. It’s genuinely genius.

Wow, all this talk from Intel about new lithography 4, 20A, 18A, etc. was all BS to fool investors, now they are going full TSMC like everyone else?

SL2

What does AMD give back?
Give back for what?

Intels FABS might not be running perfectly now, but it won't always be that way, and like I have said before, at least they are not totally FABless like AMD are, which could bite them on the bum at some point.
Nice twist. Intel has been bitten a LOT the last 10 years because their own manufacturing. AMD has been even worse, but not for this reason.

It seems that at Intel they are really angry that people consider them incompetent the last few years, so they are jumping at the best TSMC nodes to prove that they are still building superior designs than the competition (AMD, ARM).
AMD should be careful to not end up third even before Intel starts fixing it's manufacturing problems. Lunar Lake, Battlemage, AMD could be in trouble in a year from now in laptops and GPUs.
And considering that mobile CPUs and GPUs are the ingredients for a console APU, I wonder if Intel is trying to build the hardware foundations here to go after SONY's and MS's next consoles. And while SONY might be a difficult target, MS is in bed with Intel for decades and it needs to differentiate itself from SONY to even have a chance with it's next console. When hardware is similar, like both using AMD's APUs, SONY wins easily.
Intel has always had CPUs and needs GPUs for data center not consoles. Microsoft is in bed with Qualcomm. No one wants Intel.

The US economy needs Intel’s fabs. It does not need Intel.
Intel is getting money to help build the FAB that will benefit the economy and other companies. You think the GOV give them money purely for the benefit of Intel? If you do, you are smoking something.

Basically, as far as you lot are concered, Intel-BAD, AMD-sparkly rainbows, puppies and fairies. I get it with TPU's AMD club, have for a long time.
Giving Intel money allows them to make more Intel products. It purely benefits Intel as no third party wants to use Intel fabs while Intel owns them.

Last edited:
I am eager to see Gandalf/Battlemage cards in action. ARC issues fixed. Better ray tracing and hardware upscaling. New features like noise suppression and capture hotkey? Frame generation?

rluker5

Great news.
It looks like performance will increase significantly in addition to Intel removing a lot of architectural bottlenecks.
I didn't know that Arc was still on some rebranded DUV. Hopefully Arc gets a jump in frequency and efficiency like Nvidia did in going from Ampere to Ada.

AMD never took jabs at Intel for going to a third party fab while tooting their horn about how great their own fabs were. oh wait, that's an Intel thing.
That's because back then AMD was Intel's fab and was reverse engineering Intel's chips.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Last I remember TSMC gets $6.6B. AMD does not manufacture anything - which is what the subsidies are for - and benefits from TSMC getting the same subsidy...

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop

LOL, you asked about what AMD gives back and I was wondering why they had to give anything back. As they had taken nothing. But instead you doubled down on wrong assumptions, strawmen and did some company meatshielding. How about having a real conversation about the topic?

I doubt that is a recent decision, going n3b would be far to costly for a developing product line
I hope they drop alongside arrowlake and that they fixed the power issue