• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel "Arrow Lake-HX" Leaks: Up to 24 Cores and 5.5 GHz in Laptop Form

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
While the upcoming desktop versions of Intel's "Arrow Lake" processors are stealing all the hype, we are getting a leak about the high-performance "Arrow Lake-HX" chips for laptop space. Thanks to Jaykihn on X, we learn that Intel has prepared six SKUs for laptop enthusiasts to power workstations and gaming. The upcoming Core Ultra 200 series SKUs are 285HX, 275HX, 265HX, 255HX, 245HX, and 235HX. Starting with the lower-end Core Ultra Core Ultra 5 245HX / 235HX, we get six P-cores running at 3.1 and 2.9 GHz base speeds, respectively. For both SKUs, E-cores are clocked at 2.6 GHz at the base. Boosing the P-cores yields a maximum of 5.1 GHz, while E-cores top out at 4.5 GHz. For graphics, the 48 EUs inside the iGPU are clocked at 1.8 GHz on the 235 HX, while 245 HX runs at 1.9 GHz. THese models don't support Thermal Velocity Boost and Turbo Boost Max 3.0, while of the remaining SKUs support both features.

Moving to the middle of the stack, there are two SKUs: Core Ultra 7 265HX / 255HX. Both feature eight P-cores and twelve E-cores. The differentiator here is the clock speed. P-cores on the 255HX run at 2.4 GHz base and 5.2 GHz boost, while the P-cores on 265HX run at 2.6 GHz base and 5.3 GHz boost. E-cores have a wider gap with the 255HX running at 1.8 GHz base and 4.5 GHz boost, while 265HX has E-cores pinned at 2.3 GHz base and 4.6 GHz boost. Both of these SKUs have iGPU with 64 EUs set at 1.9 GHz.

For the highest-end part, we have Core Ultra 9 275HX and 285HX CPUs. These SKUs come with eight P-cores and sixteen E-cores. The "weaker" 275HX CPU has P-cores clocked at 2.7 GHz base and 5.4 GHz boost, while the flagship 285HX SKU has P-cores at 2.8 GHz base and 5.5 GHz boost. E-cores run at 2.1 GHz at the base, with a 4.6 GHz boost on both SKUs. The graphics output capability is similar, with both SKUs rocking 64 EUs at 1.9 GH and 2.0 GHz for 275HX and 285HX.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Over here, right where you can't see me !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
HAHAHAHAHA.......5.5GHZ in a lappy........ are they gonna ship smoke detectors and/or fire extinguishers with them ?

Yea, Yea I know it's only on the P cores, but just sayin :)

Lets just say I'll believe it when I see it....

tfp

HAHAHAHAHA.......5.5GHZ in a lappy........ are they gonna ship smoke detectors and/or fire extinguishers with them ?

Right because the14900HX boosted to a low, low 5.8ghz. They are already setting off smoke detectors

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
The turbo boost can be whatever, conditions need to be met to reach it anyway.

I'm more interested in low loads power consumption. Alder Lake P and H were a disaster at those.

probably single core max boost, that you'll only see once in your entire lifetime
my 10700f has a 4800 single core boost, and I don't think I saw 4800 more than for 3 seconds combined in 2.5 years.

There have been few times Intel failed to deliver like this. However,..
probably single core max boost
..this is likely a thing. It'll likely be 2cores boost for short periods with 5ghz likely for more cores and longer periods.

System Name It does stuff
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B550 Gaming X V2
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage Too much
Display(s) 27" & 21.5"
Case Antec 300
Power Supply 750W
I wouldn't trust it to not suffer from degradation after a while

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
not to call for the fanboys but....is anyone even slightly hyped for this stuff? because I am not, looks more of teh same.

I wouldn't trust it to not suffer from degradation after a while
That problem was solved with changes to the lithography process and UEFI/BIOS voltage settings. No longer an issue.

Put another way, the new CPU line is not affected by the old manufacturing problem.

Last edited:
System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
That problem was solved with changes to the lithography process and UEFI/BIOS voltage settings. No longer an issue.

Put another way, the new CPU line is not affected by the old manufacturing problem.
let's hope

That is a very bold assumption.

Intel just admitted problems in late July 2024, explained that oxidation problems were detected and resolved in late 2022 (apparently without any public announcement, nothing to see here).

Regarding the other issue, 'UEFI Bios voltage settings": "We have determined that elevated operating voltage is causing instability issues in some 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. Our analysis of returned processors confirms that the elevated operating voltage is stemming from a microcode algorithm resulting in incorrect voltage requests to the processor."

Since most processors took months or even years to develop faults that resulted in frequent crashes or inoperative CPUs I think we can agree it is way too soon to establish if Intel's fix completely and once and for all times resolves this issue. If CPUs degrade even with the IUEFI fix, but slower, it could take additional months to show up. And even with these faults Intel took a very long time even admitting them - so even if they just slowed down the degradations they are probably safe from people discovering that their CPU woes aren't just theirs alone. I mean, it took angry YouTube reviewers that were denied RMAs to raise the public awareness, and then the flood of reports started -:and Intel apologists are still in denial about reports on how Intel CPUs just died in render farms, other server uses...

And if underlying issue isn't just "faulty microcode requesting too high voltages", but is connected to the whole "pushing CPUs to the limit", where we actually get pre-overclocked CPUs, what are the odds this isn't the part and parcel of the new CPUs that were designed way before these issues showed up?

let's hope
Hope is not required.
That is a very bold assumption.
It's not an assumption at all. The problem was one of a combination of issues. The first was that of AIBs and OEMs overvolting the processors in question to the point of causing faults and defects that would never have happened if the parties in question had followed and adhered to Intel's clearly defined specs. The second was that of chemistry, specifically the lithography process where Intel was trying something different and it produced the possibility of degradation when too much power is applied in the wrong way, which brings us back to the AIBs & OEMs.

The overvolting was solved with clear definitions to makers of what is and is not acceptable voltage ranges which then resulted in firmware/BIOS updates to correct the issue. Some CPUs will continue to operate fine with those adjustment applied. Some are damaged beyond which adjustments can resolve the problem.

The chemistry problem was solved with an alteration to the formulation & lithography progress to resolve the oxidation issue and two other associated problems.

These problems involved only CPU's running on boards with power profiles set above Intel specs AND were manufactured during the time Intel was using that specific formulation. All currently available 14th gen CPUs are fine and will operate as expected. All future generations of CPU are not and will not be affected by the previous problems.

You can choose to be paranoid or you can use sense.

Now before anyone calls me a fanboy, AMD had a similar, though much less severe, problem with voltage related stability a few years ago with Ryzen CPUs. A similar measure was employed to resolve it and all was well. There were people being worrisome then as well. I said the same thing then. The problem was resolved and is no longer an issue. And all is well.

Last edited:
not to call for the fanboys but....is anyone even slightly hyped for this stuff? because I am not, looks more of teh same.
Not hyped, but I’m expecting a lot more from arrowlake than raptorlake as that was just a gimped alderlake with a tiny bit more cache.

now that e cores suposedly has a serious make over the chip that is going to replace the N100 should be a really interesting chip

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
When these get China modded into desktop boards gonna get crazy.

Yes, everything is officially solved, fine and dandy now. But so it was officially right before Intel admitted their CPUs are crashing and dying, after literally months of reports.
They are returning money or replacing the chips, something that is haemorrhaging loads of money and you think they arent doing everything they can to prevent this from happening again?

the moment the first arrow lake cpu dies even if it’s in the hands of an overclocker that delidded it with a hammer and chisel the usual big youtube pundits will be screaming murder and blame intel for it.

intel will do everything in their power to not let that happen.

I think you're overestimating the impact of this "Intel-CPUs-dying-gate" (we haven't even named the scandal!). Enthusiasts are very small portion of the market, ordinary people that bought pre-built PCs (the majority of market) are relying on warranty from the maker of PC and aren't following tech news - and "Intel CPUs are dying" wasn't really a news headline - because Intel cleverly denied there is any problem until the very moment they announced they have a complete solution, so it never was officially a problem! And in any case "only a small potion of CPUs were affected".

Intel's financial problems are completely separate from this and in my opinion stem mostly from long term trailing behind AMD in server space. And balancing budget while relying on outside CPU fabrication for the first time in 56 years!

I think you're overestimating the impact of this "Intel-CPUs-dying-gate" (we haven't even named the scandal!). Enthusiasts are very small portion of the market, ordinary people that bought pre-built PCs (the majority of market) are relying on warranty from the maker of PC and aren't following tech news - and "Intel CPUs are dying" wasn't really a news headline - because Intel cleverly denied there is any problem until the very moment they announced they have a complete solution, so it never was officially a problem! And in any case "only a small potion of CPUs were affected".

Intel's financial problems are completely separate from this and in my opinion stem mostly from long term trailing behind AMD in server space. And balancing budget while relying on outside CPU fabrication for the first time in 56 years!
Many Stock traders rely on bots monitoring the internet for mentions of key words.
if there is a lot of negativity around a company even in a smaller space like tech enthusiasts that stuff will get picked up.

but sure intel overextending them selves building all the fabs is the real reason they are in trouble

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
When these get China modded into desktop boards gonna get crazy.
I've been eyeing those off on Ali Express, currently they are doing 12th Gen laptop CPUs onto desktop boards

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Yes, everything is officially solved, fine and dandy now. But so it was officially right before Intel admitted their CPUs are crashing and dying, after literally months of reports.
Yeah, is it really paranoia when this is intel's THIRD claim that the problem is truly, finally, fixed? fool me one, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three time, you are officially THAT guy, OK?
I'm interested, mainly in seeing if intel cna fix its power use. If intel can maintain, or slightly exceed, performance of current 14th gen rehashes, while drawing less then half the power, that is exciting, from my dork standpoint. Lunar lake looks especially tempting.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I've been eyeing those off on Ali Express, currently they are doing 12th Gen laptop CPUs onto desktop boards
I watched this other day very exciting.