• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i5-8259U Turbo-Boost, core temperatures, and heat sinking (Geekom IT8 Mini PC)

frank70

So I hope this is the correct forum in which to ask about this. I purchased a Geekom Mini IT8 back in April. It uses an Intel Core i5-8259U that is clocked nominally at 2.3GHz, but supports Turbo-Boost under 100% load up to 3.8GHz. The system is shipped with Windows 11 with Turbo-Boost enabled (i.e.: Maximum Processor State = 100%.)

When I run a program that pushes all 4 cores (or all 8 threads) to 100% (for example HandBrake rendering an H264 video, or the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool), and measure core temperature with the Core Temp (1.17.1) utility, I see that cores 0 and 2 almost instantaneously run up from 40-50 degrees Celsius (computer idle) to 95-100 degrees Celsius; cores 1 and 3 hover in the 80-90 degrees Celsius range. Since TjMax for this processor is 100 degrees Celsius, I am more than a little bit concerned.

After approximately a minute with cores 0 and 2 at that high temperature, the processor throttles down to less than 3.8GHz (with an accompanying decrease in thruput) and those core temps drop into the low to mid 90s, which is still very high according to the internet.

So my question is: Will running HandBrake for a half hour to an hour now and then and allowing those cores to run at such high temperatures be detrimental to my processor (i.e. will its lifetime be reduced or can I expect it to fail prematurely)? Of course other programs may also, from time to time, use 100% of all 8 threads, but are not as likely to run that way for long periods of time.

Regarding heat sinking in the Geekom IT8 Mini, it is to my mind a bit strange. There is a fan which sits on top of the heatsinked CPU and GPU that pushes air (at a good clip when temperatures are running high) through a finned copper heat exchanger and out the back of the case. But the heat exchanger is remote from the chips (that is, not on top of them) with copper plates on top of the chips and a strange arrangement to conduct the heat to the heat exchanger. Here is a picture of this arrangement (with the fan removed):
IT8-Cooling.jpg

What do you all think of this heat sink and my temperature issues? Had I never downloaded and run the Core Temp utility, I would have been blissfully unaware of the whole issue, but still this has clearly been going on since April, and it's still up and running. Am I needlessly worrying? For right now, I've turned off Turbo-Boost by setting the Windows 11 power parameter Maximum Processor State to 99%, and everything runs cool as a cucumber, but it takes a bit longer to render a video.

Thanks in advance for any advice this community can offer.

frank70

If anyone in these forums owns one of these Geekom IT8 Mini computers, could you check what BIOS and EC BIOS versions you have (in Windows, search for and run msinfo, look at main page for lines BIOS Version/Date and Embedded Controller Version) and try running Core Temp 1.17.1 while executing a program that stresses all 4 cores to 100% load (e.g. in Windows, Handbrake converting an H264 video, or the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool). Does your processor frequency go up into the 3.10-3.80 GHz range? If it does, do any of the 4 cores' temperatures go up to at or near 100 degrees Celsius? If the answer to this latter question is yes, does it bother you that the core(s) are running so hot? I have contacted the manufacturer and received 3 different EC Bios versions (1.16, 1.17, and 1.45) and an upgrade from BIOS U0TB1 to U6G03; none of these accomplishes anything with respect to reducing the temperature of cores 0 and 2 when running at heavy CPU load with Turbo-Boost enabled. I'm somewhat disappointed in this Chinese manufacturer.

System Name Sierra
Processor Core i5-11600K
Motherboard Asus Prime B560M-A AC
Cooling CM 212 Black RGB Edition
Memory 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 4TB Samsung 990 Pro with Heatsink NVMe SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721QS 4K 60Hz
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850W
Software Windows 11 Pro
That seems fine, I wouldn’t worry about it.