• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it possible to unbrick my Vega 56?

BlueFlame

Hello guys,

I have a PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 with Samsung memory and I tried flashing it to a Red Devil Vega 64 but it didn't work. I flashed it via Windows CMD and it said it was a success but after restarting the card wouldn't even load the bios let alone boot into windows.
So I flipped the bios switched and was able to get into Windows with the second bios. I then tried reflashing the original back after flipping the switch again and I kept getting the locked ROM error. I tried using the unlock ROM command but it didn't work.
Since the second bios is a power saver bios it's very weak for performance so I decided to flash it with the card's original full power bios and it again said it was successful but after restarting the PC it won't boot into Windows (at least this time I can get into the mobo bios).
I put back my older RX580 just to get back into Windows. Then I put the Vega card in the second pcie slot but when I boot into Windows it imminently freezes.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
SPI flasher is your only hope on this card since you flashed both bios files.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Boot with the RX 580. Then use DDU to uninstall the drivers and shutdown the PC.
ddu.PNG

Then install JUST the Vega 56 and try booting into Windows again.

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
So you destroyed up both bioses, i think gpu makers should start making triple bioses but i guess it wouldn't help in your case :)

BlueFlame

Boot with the RX 580. Then use DDU to uninstall the drivers and shutdown the PC.
View attachment 111768

I forgot to mention that I did do that once but after like 3 minutes in Windows the PC froze again. Should I try it again but after getting into Windows immediately try installing the Vega drivers from AMD?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
No

View attachment 111768

Run ddu in safe mode then twice in protected mode

I forgot to mention that I did do that once but after like 3 minutes in Windows the PC froze again. Should I try it again but after getting into Windows immediately try installing the Vega drivers from AMD?

Since you flashed both bios files on the card you will need to take pictures of all of the white stickers on the back of the card, make sure that all text on the white stickers is clear so that it can be read.
You will need to take the heatsink off of the graphics card and get a picture of one of the memory chips information, make sure that text is clear, upload all of those pictures here, I will try to locate proper bios once that info is submitted here.

Once in a while, if you email power color they sometimes give you the bios files with the proper flash tools as long as you give them all the information and being honest with them, so try them too.

We will try to do a flash using the AMD flash tool however there is a 50% chance it will work and a 50% chance it will not work, if it does not work you will need to get a SPI flasher.

Last edited:
...i think gpu makers should start making triple bioses...
Or just do what AMD does on their reference cards and write protect the secondary BIOS. There's no way to flash the secondary BIOS on my reference Vega 64 with ATIFlash.
No unlock, no write.PNG

EDIT: BTW there have been GPUs with triple BIOSes. Such as the GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N.
3x BIOS.PNG

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I'll try removing the drivers and booting with the bricked card again but this time I'll immediately start installing the amd vega drivers.
Try without drivers...

BlueFlame

View attachment 111768

Ok so I'm in Windows which is an improvement but flashing doesn't work. I've attached a text file with data for both of my bios gathered by using the AtiFlash -ai command. I've tried using "unlockrom" but it doesn't work.

Try without drivers...

I got into Windows but AtiFlash isn't working. It keeps saying Rom not erased. I've tried using unlockrom command but it doesn't work. I've attached a text file with my bios information gathered from -ai command.

Try without drivers...

UPDATE: I flashed the original "full performance" bios over the reserve slow bios but when I tried to install the amd vega drivers my PC restarted. At least it still let's me boot into Windows. The weird thing is that I keep getting a blank space under bios p/n so I guess that's why the drivers don't want to install?

I don't know what more to do. Like since the flash is technically working what next?

Now I can open GPUZ without the PC crashing but I'm getting a lot of "unknowns" in some of the sections.

Attachments

• bios stuff.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 509
  • bios stuff.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 323

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Ok so I'm in Windows which is an improvement but flashing doesn't work. I've attached a text file with data for both of my bios gathered by using the AtiFlash -ai command. I've tried using "unlockrom" but it doesn't work.

I got into Windows but AtiFlash isn't working. It keeps saying Rom not erased. I've tried using unlockrom command but it doesn't work. I've attached a text file with my bios information gathered from -ai command.

UPDATE: I flashed the original "full performance" bios over the reserve slow bios but when I tried to install the amd vega drivers my PC restarted. At least it still let's me boot into Windows. The weird thing is that I keep getting a blank space under bios p/n so I guess that's why the drivers don't want to install?

I don't know what more to do. Like since the flash is technically working what next?

Since the gpu is in hard lock, you will need to see this link.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/bios-980-gtx-ti-flash.249644/page-2#post-3952037

There are links in my signature too.

Also another note here are 2 videos

BlueFlame

Nice! You should be able to install everything else by using the installers in the AMD folder(C:\AMD). That works for me most of the time. It can be a little tricky though...sometimes. But if you keep messing with it you'll probably figure it out. I usually do anyway...

BTW...are you on Windows 7 or 10? Or...God forbid...8?

Also...nothing wrong with the Flashcat. But there are MUCH cheaper, and equally effective, tools.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-...unbrick-flash-almost-any-card-amd-nvidia.html

Oh...and I almost forgot. That p/n is just the BIOS part number. It doesn't mean anything. It can be whatever, doesn't matter. I opened the file with a hex editor and found it to be "111". Not sure why that doesn't show up in ATIFlash. Maybe it's too short or something(it's usually a lot longer, like 12 or more characters). Try checking with GPU-Z under the Advanced tab > AMD BIOS.

EDIT: Somehow I glazed over the "111" here. :oops:

Last edited:

BlueFlame

Ok so it let me update the drivers via AMD's installation software but I get an error when I try to access Radeon Settings. I also noticed that when I got to device manager and click driver details on Vega, a lot of the the files have "Unknown" listed under Provider etc. I've attached a picture. I still don't have a bios p/n thing listed in atiflash, but GPUZ is reporting everything correctly.

At this point my theory is that the bios flash was technically sucessful but for whatever reason the bios doesn't have a number and that somehow is messing with the AMD drivers?

Another thing I just noticed is that in GPUZ under Driver Signature it says Unknown. I'm going to sleep so tomorrow I guess I'll try to use DDU and then re-install the drivers.

Attachments

• weird.png
    weird.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 772
At this point my theory is that the bios flash was technically sucessful but for whatever reason the bios doesn't have a number and that somehow is messing with the AMD drivers?
Well...when you get back to us...make a copy of the BIOS with GPU-Z and attach it to a post here(put it in a zipped folder first). And I'll check it against the known good file in the database. I doubt it will be any different. But it'll be good to know if it is or isn't. I'm betting the problem is not the BIOS however. I'm onto something suspicious going on with ATIFlash that might be causing these problems(not just you). Something just doesn't add up with the size of the file and the size it's trying to program. Not sure what to make of it. Don't seem right to me though. Nope. Barking up the wrong tree...

Last edited:

BlueFlame

Well...when you get back to us...make a copy of the BIOS with GPU-Z and attach it to a post here(put it in a zipped folder first). And I'll check it against the known good file in the database. I doubt it will be any different. But it'll be good to know if it is or isn't. I'm betting the problem is not the BIOS however. I'm onto something suspicious going on with ATIFlash that might be causing these problems(not just you). Something just doesn't add up with the size of the file and the size it's trying to program. Not sure what to make of it. Don't seem right to me though. Nope. Barking up the wrong tree...

Here is the stuff from GPUZ: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/18/12/04/8eu.png
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/18/12/04/7m9.png

I guess I'll just keep trying to use DDU for the drivers then. I'm on Windows 10 1709. Do you have any idea why it won't let me flash the other bios and unlockrom doesn't work?

UPDATE: After using DDU again and this time installing AMD's drivers directly from the extracted folder in C, everything went smoothly! I'm able to OC the card and it's been stable in a short FireStrike Extreme run. GPUZ now shows Beta under Digital Signature. In device manager it still says Unknown in the driver details of the gpu so I'm kind of worried that'll come back to bite me later if I don't sort it out?

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Hello guys,

I have a PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 with Samsung memory and I tried flashing it to a Red Devil Vega 64 but it didn't work.

I'm sorry for butting in here and please excuse my ignorance.
Why would you want to flash a Vega 56 GPU to a Vega 64, in the first place?

BlueFlame

I'm sorry for butting in here and please excuse my ignorance.
Why would you want to flash a Vega 56 GPU to a Vega 64, in the first place?

Well the HBM voltage goes from 1.25 to 1.35 which will let you reach around 1050 MHz and above speed, which is important for this architecture. Currently I'm locked to 1.25 and the most I can do is 950 MHz. You also get a higher power limit which let's you push the clocks more.
From what I was reading online, if you're on a reference card flashing is almost 100% guarenteed to suceed and the second bios is write protected so you can't really make anything worse. The problem is that at the time I didn't realize this only applies to reference models and flashing AIB ones is close to impossible.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Well the HBM voltage goes from 1.25 to 1.35 which will let you reach around 1050 MHz and above speed, which is important for this architecture. Currently I'm locked to 1.25 and the most I can do is 950 MHz. You also get a higher power limit which let's you push the clocks more.
From what I was reading online, if you're on a reference card flashing is almost 100% guarenteed to suceed and the second bios is write protected so you can't really make anything worse. The problem is that at the time I didn't realize this only applies to reference models and flashing AIB ones is close to impossible.

I asked you for a few things to locate the correct bios of the card, do you want the card fixed?

Also if force flash does not work with the correct bios of the card then you need to see a Link I posted earlier.

Processor Ryzen 5900X OC 5150Mhz
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling Custom EKWB for CPU, VRM's & GPU with 2x 480mm Rads
Memory Gskill TridentZ 3600 Mhz C17
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB x 2 Raid0
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG272CQR 27 1440p x2
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) onboard 7.1 HD Audio
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300w PSU
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores R20 : 9329 Timespy: 21455
I asked you for a few things to locate the correct bios of the card, do you want the card fixed?

Also if force flash does not work with the correct bios of the card then you need to see a Link I posted earlier.

But that's too difficult to do...... Short cuts and bricking cards ftw... [/Sarcasm]

BlueFlame

Wait what do you mean? I've uploaded screenshots of GPUZ as well as a text file with the information form atiflash. I'll attach the actual bios here but I think the bios problem is fixed. I just need to get Windows/AMD give me an actual driver signature. Both of these are the same bios.

Attachments

• bios.zip
    273.1 KB · Views: 332
Cool. The BIOS part # is 111. Thought so.
In device manager it still says Unknown in the driver details of the gpu so I'm kind of worried that'll come back to bite me later if I don't sort it out?
It won't. That's normal. Mine says the same thing. Sorry I never bothered to check until now. :oops:
driver file details.PNG

...I think the bios problem is fixed. I just need to get Windows/AMD give me an actual driver signature. Both of these are the same bios.
The BIOS problem IS fixed. Both of those BIOS files are identical to this verified one in the database.

Way to go man! You fixed your card! :clap: