• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lack of AM5 motherboard reviews

Anybody agrees that we are seeing so little good motherboard reviews. We got bits and pieces of Z790, but seems AM5 ones are missing from most sites.

System Name Blytzen
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Taichi Lite
Cooling Deepcool LS520 (240mm)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Dragon (16 gig)
Storage 2TB Crucial P5 Plus SSD, 80TB spinning rust in a NAS
Display(s) Agon 32" `1080p 144hz, Samsung 32" 4k
Case Coolermaster HAF 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech G733 and no speakers (replacements are under consideration)
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL tactile
Benchmark Scores Squats and calf raises
HUB's round up was a short feature set comparison table (ports, pice lanes etc) and then some VRM testing.

Within reason I feel like that covered it for me.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
HUB's round up was a short feature set comparison table (ports, pice lanes etc) and then some VRM testing.

Within reason I feel like that covered it for me.
I ignore their "reviews" of AMD products as they are clearly Intel biased.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Does AM5 boards now stable? I read about the long boot times before, is there any other bugs regarding it?

System Name Blytzen
Audio Device(s) Logitech G733 and no speakers (replacements are under consideration)
Mouse Logitech G900
I ignore their "reviews" of AMD products as they are clearly Intel biased.
Not sure what video's you've been watching of theirs then.

Best gaming cpu right now (before the 9000 series reviews roll out) is 7800X3D
Steve's been slamming Intel about power consumption, lack of accurate power guidelines for motherboard manufacturers.

If anything, the Intel squad would be calling him and AMD shill.

I'm an AMD guy and I've watched little to nothing that resembles AMD bashing from their channel recently. Closest thing would be the rumour griping about lack of high end AMD vid cards to compete with Nvidia 5000 series.

Does AM5 boards now stable? I read about the long boot times before, is there any other bugs regarding it?

I can only speak from experience with my board B650E Taichi lite - and it's boot times are good, don't have any stability issues. The long boot times are generally tied to an initial memory training boot up (with memory context restore enabled in bios)

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2
Not sure what video's you've been watching of theirs then.

Best gaming cpu right now (before the 9000 series reviews roll out) is 7800X3D
Steve's been slamming Intel about power consumption, lack of accurate power guidelines for motherboard manufacturers.

If anything, the Intel squad would be calling him and AMD shill.

I'm an AMD guy and I've watched little to nothing that resembles AMD bashing from their channel recently. Closest thing would be the rumour griping about lack of high end AMD vid cards to compete with Nvidia 5000 series.

I can only speak from experience with my board B650E Taichi lite - and it's boot times are good, don't have any stability issues. The long boot times are generally tied to an initial memory training boot up (with memory context restore enabled in bios)
I'm clearly Intel-boy but I respect AMD AM5 line up, as Intel's passion for "e-cores" is out of mind lol
but, I think AMD's "3D" stuff was and is a bit overpriced tho :)

as about topic, already few recent generations of MB could be clear "sign" for what are you aiming for. For example, I like budget-friendly but backside IO-rich Gigabyte DS3H series. Picked also latest B650M DS3H for recent client upgrade with Ryzen 5 7600 and Corsair 6000 CL 36 32 GB kit (RAM is in MB QVL and there was a good deal).
I personally have had DS3H mobos of Intel B560, B660 and B760 and was satisfied with them all. :)

Would recommend also Aorus Elite mobos. Considered budget (but of course AM5 variants are pricier), but was very good in B450 chipset version for me.

System Name Blytzen
Mouse Logitech G900
I'm clearly Intel-boy but I respect AMD AM5 line up, as Intel's passion for "e-cores" is out of mind lol
but, I think AMD's "3D" stuff was and is a bit overpriced tho :)
Yeah I wanna say I 'get' e-core but then I am not sure I do, and I am starting to think maybe Intel might not either with the plan to remove hyper-threading on the p-core (that's my opinion nothing factual to support) but when e-cores get more powerful (iterations) they might create an interesting light wattage gamer cpu.

For a non gamer I think the X3D's are over price a smidge especially with the extra limited oc headroom, for a gamer though, the 7800X3D pretty much outclasses things worth substantially more so to that end it's a winner (it is down in price though form RRP)

edit - not remotely sold on the 7900/7950 X3D variants at all until they get die/core scheduling completely sorted

I was an ASUS fan until the warranty debacle (I weighed up a B650E-F and one of the TUF gaming variants for my 7000 series build) but in the end waived it off, spent about 20% more and got my board (with USB4 - the only B650E I'm currently aware of that has it) and PCIE5 on both the primary video card slot and primary NVME drive 'port' plus VRM's that are "I think" unequalled in the B650E class and only matched by a couple of board in the X670E range (not sure many of the yet to emerge X870 class would have better VRM's)

ir_cow

Staff member
Hopefully we get some good hands on testing. Lots of sites and YouTubers just turn it on and say it works. I haven't come across a motherboard without some quirks. Doesn't mean it is inherently a bad product, but the whole point of a review is to cover what the product can and cannot do.

I rather someone tell me all the things wrong with a product than whats good about it. I already can figure that good stuff out for myself.

For example if you take any AMD A620 motherboard and try to tell me it's flawless, we got a problem :)

MSI B650 Carbon with a 7800X3D here. My longest boot times these days (with 32GB at 6000 expo) is 14.9 seconds. I had to manually enable MCR and Power Down. Other vendors might boot a few seconds faster.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I rather someone tell me all the things wrong with a product than whats good about it. I already can figure that good stuff out for myself.
I agree. While assuming often gets me into trouble, I think it safe to assume if something bad is not mentioned in the reporting section of a "thorough" review, then it must comply with industry standards and the manufacturers "published" specs.

HOWEVER, in the conclusion section, I like to see some of the more important specs that are good too. Reviews that are only negative would not be good, IMO.

To illustrate, the ATX standards for power supplies allows ±5% deviance on the 5V rail. This means it can be from 4.75V to 5.25VDC. This means a PSU outputting 4.76V would technically be within specs. But if a supply under review came in at 5.001 DCV under a full variety of loads, I would want to see, and maybe buy that PSU.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
TPU will be getting a new reviewer here shortly.
One thing that can be difficult to grapple with is UEFI updates. A board may start out fairly well but poor UEFI update can really sour a board especially if it doesn't have flashback. (or the reverse scenario, starts poor then later gets better) I really dislike the constant stream of UEFI updates in this new era of AMD. My B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax started out great but somewhere along the line UEFI updates changed behaviors setting LLC and voltages and now can't set infinity fabric speed correctly to match RAM so I have to do manual overrides to fix all that.

When I was researching a motherboard in the middle of 2020, the one thing I had trouble finding was information about VRMs. If you did find information on it, it would say how many it had, but that's not always necessarily how capable they are. Apparently there's sometimes comparison tables floating around given a wattage window the board can handle, but it's not often in reviews so whether that information is correct or comparable to whatever other comment you saw floating around on another part of the internet is hit or miss.

It didn't end up being a major hurdle since most B550 boards (at least early ones) were over-engineered in that regard, but if I'm otherwise torn on a pair or trio of choices, that's one thing I'd like to see more information on.

With regards to AM5 specifically, the other thing that might be important how well they handle heavier memory configurations. Most people might just put two DIMMs, and likely single rank, in and call it a day. But it's nice to know what to expect if I were to try and, say, put four single rank DIMMs versus two dual rank ones, and how well they handle it. Between a minority of people using a lot of RAM (counterpoint, some people upgrade to four DIMMs later and this one might blindside them with DDR5 being worse at it) and BIOS/AGESA updates changing stability, I can of understand why it might not be a priority, but before DDR5, this almost wasn't something you had to worry about. Now it seems it is.

I'll probably be changing to AM5 with the 800 series boards and the Zen 5 X3D so those are probably the two things I'm hoping to see, but not expecting to, because I know they're probably a lot of effort for little payoff. It's not hard to find out what features a board usually has due to its chipset, so reviews for motherboards sometimes seem scarce for me in what additional information they offer (I still read them when making purchases, but I often find first hand user experience more valuable for motherboards... when I can find it).

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2
Hopefully we get some good hands on testing. Lots of sites and YouTubers just turn it on and say it works. I haven't come across a motherboard without some quirks. Doesn't mean it is inherently a bad product, but the whole point of a review is to cover what the product can and cannot do.

For example if you take any AMD A620 motherboard and try to tell me it's flawless, we got a problem :)
absolutely. LMFAO, can say the fun fact about my H610 experience (surprise, it wasn't the cheapest ASRock HDV series; any ASRock HDV series were fkin bulletproof for me. Now, this was MSI H610M-E I think. Of course it's DDR4. I got 2x16 GB sticks which are in QVL. They said it should be one chips, then boom! (it's Kingston baby) RAM supplied with another chips and board didn't want to start at all LMFAO with i3-12100. Then, I've put the i5-12500 (which wasn't intended for this build of course lol) and it worked. Then some Hogwarts-Magic were applied and poor i3 started to work there too (of course i3 worked in another MB lol).

I guess someone could experience kindda such sh*t with A620. You know, they tend to test "bling bling" RAM with overkill enthusiasist class MB and top end CPUs, but they fkin don't care if budget stuff is compatible one with another lol