• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop not charging

chriswing

Greetings

I have an old Dell Studio 1555. I want to keep it as a home computer and to upgrade from hdd to ssd, but I think its battery is dead.

I've tried to following steps:

- Removed the power cable and the battery. Hold the power button down for 15-20 seconds and then put the battery and the adapter back in and start the computer.

- Checked the AC adapter for any damage. There's none.

- Reset BIOS.

Findings:

- There's for a blue light on the connector that's connects the AC adapter to the computer after it's plugged in. However, the laptop led is not constant white. It blinks 4 times a red light, then 1 time white light then again red.

- In BIOS, at AC adapter type I see 90w.

- In Device Manager -> Batteries there is an "unknown device". I've uninstalled everything there, installed again with updated drivers.

- Last month the battery was stuck at 4%. Now, it says "unknown remaining".

- If I use my laptop with the battery installed, my laptop shuts down at boot or randomly. After I turn it again, I get a black screen with the message: "Windows saved the current session to disk because the battery reached its
critical level. [...] Continue with system resume". However, my laptop powers on AC adapter alone without the battery installed and everything seems fine.

If my battery is dead, can anyone recommend the best place to buy a new one?
I would appreciate any advice on this matter!

Thanks so much for your time and help!

My laptop, a custom built model, is 8 years old ... I'm on my 3rd battery and my 2nd charger. I typically do almost a full discharge on my lappie pretty much t every day tho.

If it is only used w/ AC Power, you should remove the battery. When I contacted my system builder for a 3rd battery, he directed me from Amazon ... n=bought it w/ an Amex card for an additional year added to warranty.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps