• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Latitude 5491 - i7 8850H Undervolting and seeking temperature improvements.

r1car2

Greetings everyone.

I apologize for my English, I am using Google Translate.

Before we begin, I want to express a special thanks to all those who contributed to the development of this application.

About two weeks ago, I started experimenting with the fantastic ThrottleStop 9.6, following various recommendations from this excellent forum.

My laptop is a Dell 5491 with an i7-8850H processor, but without dedicated graphics, and with a cooling system that leaves much to be desired. Due to this situation, I was forced to disable the TurboBoost function for many years. Despite having used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for about 6 months, for peace of mind, I decided to switch back to Arctic MX-6 thermal paste, as the temperature difference under heavy loads was approximately 5°C.

I only use my computer for work. Thanks to these adjustments, I've managed to increase my productivity at work.

I'm attaching some images of my settings and would be delighted to receive any recommendations that can help me improve efficiency, reduce temperatures, and boost performance. Although Intel states it's safe to operate at temperatures up to 100°C, I prefer to optimize performance by keeping the temperature below 95°C.

33-35.JPG

FIVR:
CPU Core:
FIVR.PNG

CPU Cache:
FIVR - Cache.PNG

TPL: The factory configuration comes with PL1 set at 45W and PL2 at 60W. Due to the cooling with Cinebench, I was getting a score of 2164, and after reducing the watts, I'm now getting 2,551. This is where my curiosity started, wondering if it's possible to increase that score below 95°C
TPL.PNG

Options:
Option.PNG

Cinebench R20:
CineBenc.PNG

In the future, I plan to make the following modifications, but I'm not sure if they will work:

1. Replace the Arctic MX6 thermal paste with PTM7950. Do you think it will bring any improvement?
  2. Change the aluminum fin heat sink I currently have installed to the one with copper fins that comes in the model with the NVIDIA GeForce MX130 GPU. Do you think it will help reduce temperatures?

Heat sink:
    heatsink  Basic vs Gforce.jpg
Thank you for reading this post.

mql

I am only speaking about my experience and what I have said cannot be considered as advertising or criticism of any thermal paste.
Thus, when applying MX6 thermal paste directly to the i7 12700H die, the thermal throttling of the processor during TS Bench started at about 80-83 W.
The maximum CPU turbo power of 115W is achieved on TS Bench with TG Kryonaut, and thermal throttling is not achieved at all.
1698614975627.png

Thus, I wanted to say that if the processor is not capable of working for a long time with a power of more than 80W, then, in my opinion, any MX6 level thermal paste will do. But if we talk about durability, then the MX6 used on the 12700H die lost its effectiveness as quickly as other thermal pastes due to "pump out" and "bump up".

Last edited:

r1car2

I am only speaking about my experience and what I have said cannot be considered as advertising or criticism of any thermal paste.
Thus, when applying MX6 thermal paste directly to the i7 12700H die, the thermal throttling of the processor during TS Bench started at about 80-83 W.
The maximum CPU turbo power of 115W is achieved on TS Bench with TG Kryonaut, and thermal throttling is not achieved at all.
View attachment 319415

Thus, I wanted to say that if the processor is not capable of working for a long time with a power of more than 80W, then, in my opinion, any MX6 level thermal paste will do. But if we talk about durability, then the MX6 used on the 12700H die lost its effectiveness as quickly as other thermal pastes due to "pump out" and "bump up".

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Taking your experience as a reference, I will replace the MX6 with TG Kryonaut.

1.Have you used the Honeywell PTM 7950 thermal pad? Or do you know anyone who has used it? Is it as good as they say?
2. Is there anything else you understand I can do to improve my TS configuration?
3. Do you think that changing my heat sink could help with anything?
Heat sink:
heatsink  Basic vs Gforce.jpg

I'm eagerly anticipating your feedback.

mql

I have no experience with Honeywell PTM 7950 simply because there are no official sellers of this product in the country where I live.

In general, to reduce the temperature, take care of the cleanliness of your computer and especially the cooling system, and increase the temperature dissipation efficiency. Theoretically, it would be better to change the cooler to one that is also designed to cool the GPU, since it is possible that this cooler will have a higher efficiency. There are sources of information that indicate that the TDP of the cooler should be 30% higher than the TDP of the processor.

Last edited: