• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Legion 5 16IRX9 i9-14900hx undervolt

oneshot

Made an attempt to undervolt my laptop to preserve performance and keep temps low at the same time. Prio to this I had been just keeping turbo disabled and quickly got annoyed with that. I use legion toolkit to manage general preferences but have utilized throttlestop to start with undervolting and have been semi happy with the results. Just curious if I can make any improvements. HWIDinfo is still saying Im thermal throttling with this setup while gaming and I would like to prevent that if possible. Under limits Ive noticed EDP OTHER is flashing yellow. Any help is appreciated. Ive included a log and several screenshots. Thanks!

Attachments

• fivr.jpg
    fivr.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 94
  • main.jpg
    main.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Turbo Limits.jpg
    Turbo Limits.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 2024-08-21.txt
    198.2 KB · Views: 18
  • ecache.jpg
    ecache.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 71
  • pcache.jpg
    pcache.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 87

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
thermal throttling
The log file you attached does not show a lot of thermal throttling. One of the reasons this happens is because Lenovo decided to lower the thermal throttling temperature. The Intel spec says that thermal throttling should begin at 100°C. Lenovo lowered this to 93°C. If you open the ThrottleStop Options window, on the right side there is a setting called PROCHOT Offset. Lenovo setting this to 7 is what causes premature throttling. If you do not see a yellow lock icon near this setting, you can lower the PROCHOT Offset value to increase the thermal throttling temperature. This will give you a little more headroom before throttling begins. Setting this to 2 or 3 might be a better compromise. If you are happy with the reduced throttling temperature then leave this setting as is.

The CPU P and E cache voltages do not have to be set equal to each other. Have you tried going a little further with the P cache offset undervolt? Some users are still stable beyond -51.8 mV.

There is not much else you can do without improved cooling.

To reduce EDP throttling, you can try increasing IccMax for both the core and the P cache. You can also increase Power Limit 4 or just set this to a value of 0 to disable it. EDP OTHER lighting up red under the RING column is normal whenever there is power limit or thermal throttling happening under the CORE column of Limit Reasons.

oneshot

The log file you attached does not show a lot of thermal throttling. One of the reasons this happens is because Lenovo decided to lower the thermal throttling temperature. The Intel spec says that thermal throttling should begin at 100°C. Lenovo lowered this to 93°C. If you open the ThrottleStop Options window, on the right side there is a setting called PROCHOT Offset. Lenovo setting this to 7 is what causes premature throttling. If you do not see a yellow lock icon near this setting, you can lower the PROCHOT Offset value to increase the thermal throttling temperature. This will give you a little more headroom before throttling begins. Setting this to 2 or 3 might be a better compromise. If you are happy with the reduced throttling temperature then leave this setting as is.

The CPU P and E cache voltages do not have to be set equal to each other. Have you tried going a little further with the P cache offset undervolt? Some users are still stable beyond -51.8 mV.

There is not much else you can do without improved cooling.

To reduce EDP throttling, you can try increasing IccMax for both the core and the P cache. You can also increase Power Limit 4 or just set this to a value of 0 to disable it. EDP OTHER lighting up red under the RING column is normal whenever there is power limit or thermal throttling happening under the CORE column of Limit Reasons.
Thanks for the speedy reply! Looking at PROCHOT its currently at 3 unchecked and greyed out. Im assuming this means PROCHOT is already set at 3? Going to play with the P cache offset as well and log and report back. What exactly is IccMax? P Cache is set to 511.75 and core is set to 240. EDP OTHER is yellow currently all the time so Im not too concerned about it I suppose.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
What exactly is IccMax?
IccMax is a current limit. It controls the maximum current that can go through your CPU. Some users avoid adjusting this out of fear that it might damage their CPU. They might be right. I do not like to live in fear so I prefer to disable any limits that can be disabled.

PROCHOT its currently at 3 unchecked
If PROCHOT Offset is not checked in ThrottleStop then Lenovo software can change this value at any time. I prefer to check PROCHOT Offset in ThrottleStop and I also like to check Lock PROCHOT Offset. This prevents the thermal throttling temperature from being randomly changed. When the main screen of ThrottleStop shows PROCHOT 93°C, that implies that the PROCHOT Offset register within the CPU must be set to 7. (100°C - 7 = 93°C)

P Cache is set to 511.75 and core is set to 240.
These two IccMax current limits are usually synced internally. If these are set to different values, the CPU will typically use the lower value for both.