• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lenovo y50-70 undervolting + increase system performance for gaming

YMatrix

Hello,
I have a good old Lenovo y50-70 with intel Core i7-4720HQ and Nvidia 960M and want to crank it up since I get massive lag spikes in games like fortnite (yes - I know this is an old notebook).
I have read a couple of threads in this forum and learned my way with Throttlestop - still understanding all the configurations.
I have attached to this post my TS config so any advice would be helpful.
With the above settings my cpu still throttles down to 26 multiplier (there is a SS of a running benchmark).
I have tried to set multiplier to constant 36, but that lead to a sudden shutoff during gaming (guessing it got to hot).
I tried undervolting to more than -60 mV but that lead eventually to a BSOD (this is a gen 4 cpu and know it is advised not to go beyond 60 mV so that's why I left it at -49.8 mV).
I enabled powercut with VCCIN of 1.75 V.
I only posted CPU core settings but I applied the same settings for CPU cache.

When gaming on without TS the CPU throttles down to 26 multiplier and stays constant.
Since newer games hog CPU power that creates lag (when trying 36 multiplier the game worked great till the sudden power off).
I already cleaned my chassis from over due dust.

Hoping you can advise me what else I can set to get a little bit more from this great Notebook.

Thank you!

Attachments

• benchmark.jpg
    benchmark.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 20
  • main settings.jpg
    main settings.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 21
  • fivr settings.jpg
    fivr settings.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 21

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Try setting the Non Turbo Ratio in the FIVR window to 1. That can help with some Lenovo throttling schemes. My Lenovo Y510P disables Intel Turbo Boost when the Nvidia GPU is active. Changing the Non Turbo Ratio to 1 fixes that issue.

If that does not increase your multiplier to full speed then you need to check the Set Multiplier box on the main screen. You can lower the Turbo Ratios to reduce power consumption and heat if you think that is necessary.

Set VCCIN to 1.7998 V before locking it. You first need to reboot to unlock VCCIN before you can change it. I have set VCCIN as high as 2.29 V when testing without cooking my CPU. I think 1.80V is the Intel default value.

a sudden shutoff during gaming (guessing it got to hot)
It is probably just your voltage settings that are not 100% stable. I settled on -40 mV for my similar 4700MQ. Avoid guessing what the problem might be. It might be the Nvidia GPU that is causing the shutdown. Have you changed the speed or voltage of the Nvidia GPU? Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option so you have a record of CPU performance. Check the Nvidia GPU box in the Options window so this info is included in the log file.

sgt.8nemi

Hello,
I have a good old Lenovo y50-70 with intel Core i7-4720HQ and Nvidia 960M and want to crank it up since I get massive lag spikes in games like fortnite (yes - I know this is an old notebook).
I have read a couple of threads in this forum and learned my way with Throttlestop - still understanding all the configurations.
I have attached to this post my TS config so any advice would be helpful.
With the above settings my cpu still throttles down to 26 multiplier (there is a SS of a running benchmark).
I have tried to set multiplier to constant 36, but that lead to a sudden shutoff during gaming (guessing it got to hot).
I tried undervolting to more than -60 mV but that lead eventually to a BSOD (this is a gen 4 cpu and know it is advised not to go beyond 60 mV so that's why I left it at -49.8 mV).
I enabled powercut with VCCIN of 1.75 V.
I only posted CPU core settings but I applied the same settings for CPU cache.

When gaming on without TS the CPU throttles down to 26 multiplier and stays constant.
Since newer games hog CPU power that creates lag (when trying 36 multiplier the game worked great till the sudden power off).
I already cleaned my chassis from over due dust.

Hoping you can advise me what else I can set to get a little bit more from this great Notebook.

Thank you!
i have the same laptop i ' am writing this reply using it i bought it recently ...... any recommendations ?