• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Light weight helium hard drives and used server drives. HGST.

I got two used HGST 10tb drives. I bought one from Amazon last year and one in September this year. I even got a paper with 3 and 5 years warranty. One are from May 2018 and helium should not last longer then 5 years? Can they refill? I got a sticker on one drive. I removed it so the sate should be visible. Then the sticker changed text to Void. It was a special sticker.

Which drives are in ligther weight?

Attachments

• DSC_0841.JPG
    DSC_0841.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Don’t take off the stickers….. it says to not remove the stickers so it keeps the helium IN the drive.

The helium is not to make it “light weight” it’s in there to reduce the chances of corrosion, decrease frictional losses and the heads float more consistently.

They can’t refill them, it would require a lot to refill it and know how much pressure/partial pressure is required. Plus a vacuum chamber and tank of helium.

Last edited:
System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
I got two used HGST 10tb drives. I bought one from Amazon last year and one in September this year. I even got a paper with 3 and 5 years warranty. One are from May 2018 and helium should not last longer then 5 years? Can they refill? I got a sticker on one drive. I removed it so the sate should be visible. Then the sticker changed text to Void. It was a special sticker.

Which drives are in ligther weight?

Nonsense, I don't know where you read this but the drives' helium neither expires nor does it require a refill

ir_cow

Staff member
Nonsense, I don't know where you read this but the drives' helium neither expires nor does it require a refill
This is also why data recovery on helium isn't really a thing yet besides really specialty data places. Once you pop the lid, the drive becomes useless.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
There seems to be a lot of nonsense "floating" (pun intended) around here.

Most hard drives are NOT "sealed" at all. In fact, most have a tiny vent hole specifically designed to allow air in and out as the atmospheric pressure changes. This change in air pressure is very common - for example, for travelers who fly and change altitude. Our ears pop, hard drives vent through those tiny holes. They are filtered to prevent dust but make no mistake, they are NOT sealed, hermetically or otherwise.

Helium drives are sealed, however. This is to prevent the helium from escaping. Helium is good in this usage because being much less dense than air, changes in altitude do not result in any significant change in pressures, that may affect the drives performance.

As mentioned above, helium does not promote corrosion and being less dense, allows the platters to spin while encountering less resistance.

Once you pop the lid, the drive becomes useless.
Why?

If you break the seal and the helium escapes, that alone will not cause the drive to fail. What will cause the drive to fail, however, is the bolder size (microscopically speaking) dust particles that would get inside.

As for lower weight - I am amazed how this nonsense is being spewed, even by those you would expect to know better. A hard drive does not have 100 gallons of empty space to fill with gas!!! Yes, helium is lighter than air but just how much space do you suppose is inside a hard drive? A few CCs, maybe?

ir_cow

Staff member
@Bill_Bright I am no expert of the subject at all, but from what I've been told by data recovery techs is those drives with Helium is sealed because the head now is microns above the platter. Normal mix of our air will ruin the read/write head. Thus it is $$$$$ to recovery data. Once the drive is open, it has to be resealed with Helium after repairs. They can't do the old swapping with heads and motors anymore like the normal mix ones.