• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Little question about swapping pcie generations in bios.

System Name my system
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Rog strix b550 gaming wifi II
Cooling noctua nh-u12s se-am4
Memory corsair vengeance 32gb (2x16) 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8g (planning to upgrade to an asus TUF 4070 TI super soon)
Storage 1x 240gb kingston ssd (win) 1x500gb kingston m.2 1x1tb 870 evo ssd 2x1tb hdd (storage)
Display(s) gigabyte aorus cv27f
Case Sharkoon Rebel c50 RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative soundblaster x-ae5 plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 ATX 3.0
Mouse Logitech g502x
Keyboard Microsoft ernomic buisness
VR HMD none
Software win 11 64 bit home
Benchmark Scores To be tested, so none yet
Heya!

I write this thread in succesion of my "question about 2 sound blaster solutions" thread.

There i wrote in the ps, that i might gonna try switching pcie generations in the bios.
This i did now, but i find things a bit strange.

Ive read on Reddit and elsewhere that you can only swap the generations of all of them in one go.
But on the 3607 bios of the asus rog strix b550 wifi-ii it seems that at the advanced > onboard devices page, i can set everything of them seperately. And thats where my concern lies.

When i change all 3 of the pcie x1 lanes from auto, to gen 1, will they really only operate on gen 1 mode, and are not maybe still be in either gen 2 or gen 3?
And when i set the pcie x16 main lane to be in gen 4 mode (where my gpu is), will this not effect the other pcie lanes?

I mean, from what ive read online, when you wanna lower the pcie generations, then every pcie lane is affected, and my bios page claims you can set them individually. So whats the thing here?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Martijn Spiegelaar