• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Logitech G402 mouse not working properly

cobainnn

Hello, as the title says it, i have a Logitech G402 mouse and I've been using it for 3 years. As it's not quite possible to show my problems through GIFs or short videos, i'll try explaining the situation as best as possible.

- So first of all, i cannot slide anything with the left mouse button properly. For instance i need to find something specific in r/place belongs to the reddit platform i need to slide the whole pixel map with the left button but it just doesn't work until some time passes, or cuts off in the middle for some reason even if it works in the beginning. Even when i try selecting specific words to delete here the left button sliding just doesn't work properly.

- The second problem is this time, with clicking. This issue again happens to be only in left mouse button. when i click on an application for once it'd never open it immediately because i need to click twice, like almost everyone else here. But this time when i press on any program somehow it perceives it as two clicks and opens it accidentally and the same situation also applies for other platforms like Steam, i almost opened every single game without any intentions to do it. The opposite situation also occurs such as clicking 16th time to open Google Chrome.

Note that this issue only happens to be in left button, the rest of mouse works perfectly and this just started happening today, yesterday it was doing perfectly. I have tried plugging off from the port and re-connect it again, or simply update & delete it from the device manager, or shutdown the pc and restart it again. None of them were a solution for me.
Any solutions or suggestions?

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0, 940 EVO 500GB, 2x WD Black 8TB RAID1
Display(s) Samsung QN90a 50" (the IPS one)
Case Lian Li something or other
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
Sometimes junk builds up under the button, lift it (being careful not to break it off) and clean it out. I've had this exact problem with every Logitech mouse I've ever owned. I was returning them under warranty for years thinking the switches were bad, but it was that.

Edit: Just noticed that has different buttons than any one I've owned, it might not be lift-able, you might have to disassemble it, I don't know.

Last edited:

cobainnn

Sometimes junk builds up under the button, lift it (being careful not to break it off) and clean it out. I've had this exact problem with every Logitech mouse I've ever owned. I was returning them under warranty for years thinking the switches were bad, but it was that.

Edit: Just noticed hat has different buttons than any one I've owned, it might not be lift-able, you might have to disassemble it, I don't know.
I have thought of it, there is a safe way to disassemble the mouse, but i have to remove some of the parts of it permamently and i'm not quite sure whether it'll have any impacts on my latter usages.

mouse.jpg

I'm talking about these four parts.

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0, 940 EVO 500GB, 2x WD Black 8TB RAID1
Display(s) Samsung QN90a 50" (the IPS one)
Case Lian Li something or other
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
Yeah, that's the downside if it needs to be disassembled: you have to get a replacement set of teflon feet or go without them (they really can't be saved).

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Turn the mouse upside down and mash the left click. Sometimes it can help with getting the dirt out of the switch. Otherwise, disassemble and clean and/or resolder a new switch for LMB. Replacement feet can be found easily on ebay/amazon/local alternatives.

cobainnn

Turn the mouse upside down and mash the left click. Sometimes it can help with getting the dirt out of the switch. Otherwise, disassemble and clean and/or resolder a new switch for LMB. Replacement feet can be found easily on ebay/amazon/local alternatives.

Edit: Just noticed that has different buttons than any one I've owned, it might not be lift-able, you might have to disassemble it, I don't know.
Looks like there's no other choice, thank you everyone. I'll try opening this thing and thus buy & use compressed duster if needed.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE

This guy has great guides for cleaning.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I've got the same mouse, G402, and mine had been doing exactly as you described. The funny thing is, it exhibited this behavior before, then went away, but then came back.

BTW I don't think canned air is the right tool for this. Mouse dirt build up is often a mix of skin particles, dust, and oil from your skin. I've cleaned it out before and it's not something that will easily blow out. Plus it may only serve to lodge dirt down into the switch.

If cleaning the moving parts of the switch actuator doesn't fix it, the switch may very well have gunk inside it. In this case it's best to use something like a no residue circuit cleaner to dissolve it, but you MUST let it dry completely before using it again. The better ones dry quickly. In a pinch some use Isopropyl alcohol that is high percentage alcohol, but it WILL leave a residue.

That said, I feel it is ALWAYS best to try a thorough dry cleaning and LMB actuator sag removal (explained below) BEFORE trying to clean the switch itself. If all goes well, you may not even need to take it apart. If you still hear a crisp click from the LMB when it's used, I think it's unlikely the internals of the switch are too dirty anyway. With all that covers them, they are not exactly directly exposed to dust or the other aforementioned nasties. You would have to be exposing it to pretty nasty air quality for that to happen to excess.

What I've done before (as I did this time) is take a soft bristled clean toothbrush and gently brush all the accumulated dirt out of the crevices without even opening it up. I pay particular attention to the crevices under the LMB/RMB actuators, the small openings around the scroll wheel, and also the crevices around the additional buttons. Then I gently pry up on the front of the LMB actuator, which develops a bit of sag over time due to being used more than the LMB. This must be done VERY carefully and slowly, but I can usually get a bit of the sag out of it.

In testing so far I no longer have accidental double clicks and finicky selection of text and YouTube viewer controls, which was driving me nuts. No telling whether it will stay this way, as that aforementioned sag I think is much of the problem. The only way to make a sag free LMB actuator though would be to use titanium, but that would make the mouse far too expensive.

I've never tried it before, but I suppose propping the LMB actuator up to the same height of the RMB, via sticking something of appropriate thickness under the front edge of it, then carefully applying some heat from a portable hair dryer to the LMB actuator (too much could do damage mind you), then letting it sit over night to cool, may completely take the sag out.

The thing is, I'm not convinced that is necessary. I go by the logic that if when depressed the LMB switch sounds the same as the RMB switch (which was the case for me), then you only need very slightly remove sag after the dirt is brushed out to fix the problem, and that seems to be the case, at least so far. Even if I have to repeat this procedure once a year or so after sag has set in, it's better than risking doing damage, and I don't own a hair dryer anyway.

Last edited:
System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1 (modified to have two bridge rectifiers)
Software Windows 11 Home
Information and resources for fixing Logitech G402 buttons (applies to other mice, too) - Peripherals - Linus Tech Tips
"For the left and right buttons, the G402 uses Omron D2FC-F-7N switches, rated at 20 million clicks."

Once one has it disassembled for cleaning, might as well replace the switch if one has the equipment, parts and experiance.
Computer Mouse Repair (switch replacement) | Electronics Repair And Technology News Computer Mouse Repair (switch replacement) (jestineyong.com)
I like the GM 8.0 offering by Kailh (which has a claimed 80 million click lifetime)

Last edited:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Looks like there's no other choice, thank you everyone. I'll try opening this thing and thus buy & use compressed duster if needed.
I meant try the spray through the slits, it may work without opening it up.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Information and resources for fixing Logitech G402 buttons (applies to other mice, too) - Peripherals - Linus Tech Tips
"For the left and right buttons, the G402 uses Omron D2FC-F-7N switches, rated at 20 million clicks."

Once one has it disassembled for cleaning, might as well replace the switch if one has the equipment, parts and experiance.
Computer Mouse Repair (switch replacement) | Electronics Repair And Technology News Computer Mouse Repair (switch replacement) (jestineyong.com)
I like the GM 8.0 offering by Kailh (which has a claimed 80 million click lifetime)

I personally think even 20 million is far more than one would click the LMB in the lifetime of a mouse. I've never had a Logi mouse switch go mushy or die, or even need cleaning for that matter.

Honestly guys, I think the LMB plastic actuator piece developing sag over time is at least half of the problem, and in my experience they always do. It's pretty easy to see the sag just by eyeballing the front of the mouse and comparing the height of the LMB actuator to the height of the RMB actuator.

Software Windows 11 Home
If one clicked once per second for 8 hours a day (gamer), that's just over 10 million clicks a year.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
If one clicked once per second for 8 hours a day (gamer), that's just over 10 million clicks a year.
If you ever played some kind of games, you'd know one click per second can be pretty low ;)
But I'm sure you can't do that for 8 hours straight.

Software Windows 11 Home
Just playing with numbers to see if it was possible to wear out a mouse switch in a realistic number of years.

Reactions: bug
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Just playing with numbers to see if it was possible to wear out a mouse switch in a realistic number of years.

Possible and likely are two entirely different things though. I'll put it this way, I may be 65 and retired, not to mention slower at clicking than I used to be, but I'm also free to spend as much time as I want on gaming, and I game most every day. I also fairly often play sessions that are several hours long when I've just picked up a game I really like. Yet still, I've never worn out a mouse switch, and I always use Logi, the brand that supposedly is known for the double click problem after a few years. In fact I think this G402 is the first Logi mouse that's ever demonstrated it, and after thoroughly cleaning it and lifting up on the LMB actuator to remove some of the sag, I now know it was not a bad switch causing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bug