• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MediaTek Announces Dimensity 9400 Flagship SoC with All Big Core Design

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
MediaTek today launched the Dimensity 9400, the company's new flagship smartphone chipset optimized for edge-AI applications, immersive gaming, incredible photography, and more. The Dimensity 9400, the fourth and latest in MediaTek's flagship mobile SoC lineup, offers a massive boost in performance with its second-generation All Big Core design built on Arm's v9.2 CPU architecture, combined with the most advanced GPU and NPU for extreme performance in a super power-efficient design.

The Dimensity 9400 adopts MediaTek's second-gen All Big Core design, integrating one Arm Cortex-X925 core operating over 3.62 GHz, combined with 3x Cortex-X4 and 4x Cortex-A720 cores. This design offers 35% faster single-core performance and 28% faster multi-core performance compared to MediaTek's previous generation flagship chipset, the Dimensity 9300. Built on TSMC's second-generation 3 nm process, the Dimensity 9400 is up to 40% more power-efficient than its predecessor, allowing users to enjoy longer battery life.

"The MediaTek Dimensity 9400 will continue furthering our mission to be the enablers of AI, supporting powerful applications that anticipate users' needs and adapt to their preferences, while also fueling generative AI technology with on-device LoRA training and video generation," said Joe Chen, President at MediaTek. "As the fourth-generation flagship chipset, the Dimensity 9400 continues to build on our momentum of steady growth in market share, and MediaTek's legacy of delivering flagship performance in the most efficient design for the best user experiences."

Packing MediaTek's 8th Generation NPU, the Dimensity 940 boasts a number of industry firsts for exceptional generative AI performance; it is the first mobile chipset to offer on-device LoRA training, high-quality on-device video generation, and developer support for Agentic AI. To allow users to take advantage of the latest agentic and generative AI applications, the Dimensity 9400 offers up to 80% faster large language model (LLM) prompt performance while also being up to 35% more power efficient than the Dimensity 9300.

The Dimensity 9400 also integrates MediaTek's new Dimensity Agentic AI Engine (DAE), which is designed to turn traditional AI applications into sophisticated agentic AI applications. MediaTek is working with developers to offer a unified interface between AI agents, third-party APKs, and models that efficiently runs both edge AI and cloud services. This streamlined approach allows models to work with many different third-party APKs, which reduces development time and will help usher in a new ecosystem of agentic AI applications.

The 12-core Arm Immortalis-G925 delivers super immersive gaming experiences with up to 40% faster ray tracing performance compared to the previous generation. The Dimensity 9400 also brings PC-level features to smartphones with opacity micromaps (OMM) support for realistic effects. The chipset's powerful GPU also offers 41% peak performance boost with up to 44% power savings compared to the Dimensity 9300, allowing users to game for longer. Additionally, the Dimensity 9400 supports HyperEngine technology for super resolution and impressive picture quality, which is co-developed by MediaTek and Arm Accurate Super Resolution (Arm ASR).

With MediaTek Imagiq 1090, the Dimensity 9400 provides HDR video recording throughout the entire zoom range so users can snap the perfect moment from a distance; MediaTek's Smooth Zoom technology also makes it easy to capture moving subjects. Additionally, it is designed to minimize power consumption while users are taking photos and videos, offering up to 14% lower power consumption in 4K60 video capture compared to the Dimensity 9300.

Additional features of the Dimensity 9400 include:
  • A refreshed 3GPP Release-17 5G modem with 4CC-CA and up to 7 Gbps sub-6 GHz performance.
  • New 4 nm Wi-Fi/Bluetooth combo chip with 7.3 Gbps data rates performance and up to 50% lower power consumption compared to the previous generation.
  • Support for Wi-Fi 7 tri-band MLO.
  • MediaTek Xtra Range 3.0, which delivers up to 30 m greater Wi-Fi coverage.
  • 5G/4G Dual SIM Dual Active, Dual Data capabilities to give users more flexibility.
  • Support for tri-fold smartphones giving smartphone makers the flexibility to design innovative new form factors.

The first smartphones powered by the MediaTek Dimensity 9400 will be available in the market starting in Q4 of 2024.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
How is it an "all-big core design"? I see 3 types of Cortex CPU cores in the diagram. At least one of them must be smaller than the other two. :kookoo:

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
How is it an "all-big core design"? I see 3 types of Cortex CPU cores in the diagram. At least one of them must be smaller than the other two. :kookoo:
A720 is considered a "big" core because it's as wide as an A78 (out of order execution) vs A520 which is specifically designed to be a "small" core (in order execution).

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory DDR5 6000Mhz CL28 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Palit GamingPro OC
Storage Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen.4 1TB
So much wasted space for the useless NPU

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
A720 is considered a "big" core because it's as wide as an A78 (out of order execution) vs A520 which is specifically designed to be a "small" core (in order execution).
That's definitely a point, but what about the X4 and X925 cores? The A720 is surely smaller than those, right?

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard msi b550m mortar
Cooling tr scenic 280v2
Memory 2666 16g*2
Video Card(s) 7900xtx
They call them "big","bigger", and "biggest" cores.:D

Last time I checked there was no custom Rom Support for Mediatek Chips. So I avoid anyhting with Mediatek. First thing I check for a tablet or smartphone is if there is a mediatek chip in it (which makes it a no buy and I move on).

My devices usually get older than the official Samsung support, Xiaomi Support, Asus support ...

That's also a reason why I do not want any mediatek (german call it mediadreck**) in any of my hardware, not as x86_64 wifi module or any other hardware.

Last time I checked there was no custom Rom Support for Mediatek Chips. So I avoid anyhting with Mediatek. First thing I check for a tablet or smartphone is if there is a mediatek chip in it (which makes it a no buy and I move on).

My devices usually get older than the official Samsung support, Xiaomi Support, Asus support ...

That's also a reason why I do not want any mediatek (german call it mediadreck**) in any of my hardware, not as x86_64 wifi module or any other hardware.
They are put in budget devices so they get budget support

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
They are put in budget devices so they get budget support
Which is a shame as the platform is quite capable and should offer decent longevity, especially with the Immortalis GPU core in terms of feature set.
A small shift in attitude could easily fix that support aspect, and to be fair the extending support windows on some Android devices using these might be a sign they are starting to take it seriously (e.g. Xiaomi offering 5y update window on Dimensity 9200 products) - guess we'll see in 5 years.
Although even Samsung and Google products with long support windows may go for long periods without core kernel updates, or have the last kernel release before support ends being from a much earlier update.
E.g. I've seen new Android 14 devices running kernel 5.x even after latest updates - not exactly what I'd call 'current'.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Which is perfectly fine for 9 out of 10 users, imo.
Exactly, I've been using mainly Mediatek phones in the past years and I've had zero issues with them for my use case. 'Currently using a Xiaomi Poco X6 Pro with a Dimensity 8300 Ultra in it'
Nope I don't care about custom Roms and such either and I would assume thats the case for most of the average users.

Only tinkering I've done is replacing the factory camera app with Gcam cause its just better imo and that also works with no issues.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Exactly, I've been using mainly Mediatek phones in the past years and I've had zero issues with them for my use case. 'Currently using a Xiaomi Poco X6 Pro with a Dimensity 8300 Ultra in it'
Nope I don't care about custom Roms and such either and I would assume thats the case for most of the average users.

Only tinkering I've done is replace the factory camera app with Gcam cause its just better imo and that also works with no issues.
Agreed. I used to be a Samsung guy, but I don't even care about mainstream brands anymore. I'm using a Blackview N6000 with a kinda-sorta midrange Helio G99 in it, and I love every single bit of it.

The phone was cheap, it's small, tough, lasts 2 days on battery (limited to 80% charge), has plenty of storage, the camera is OK, what more can I ask for? :)

Oh and the chipset? Well, it runs Chrome and Facebook like any other chipset, so who cares? :laugh:

That's definitely a point, but what about the X4 and X925 cores? The A720 is surely smaller than those, right?
I think big and little refer to the architectural handling of instructions rather than the physical size of the cores although the two are somewhat related.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Agreed. I used to be a Samsung guy, but I don't even care about mainstream brands anymore. I'm using a Blackview N6000 with a kinda-sorta midrange Helio G99 in it, and I love every single bit of it.

The phone was cheap, it's small, tough, lasts 2 days on battery (limited to 80% charge), has plenty of storage, the camera is OK, what more can I ask for? :)

Oh and the chipset? Well, it runs Chrome and Facebook like any other chipset, so who cares? :laugh:
My previous phone that I've used for 3 years had a Helio G95, also no issues there and its still very well usable as a daily driver if needed.
My father's current phone has a G99 and for his very casual daily use its almost overkill even.:laugh:

I've heard that Mediatek chipsets aint that good for emulating older games but eh thats not my use case so its like whatever for me.

The diversity of smartphone and tablet CPUs indicates a healthy market:

A series
Dimensity
Snapdragon
Exynos
Tensor
Kirin
…and more.

We need this in the server, desktop and laptop markets based on x86, ARM and Risc-V ISAs.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Mediatek, the company you call when Qualcomm costs too much

Maybe... but then why do Samsung use them in certain product lines instead of their in-house Exynos stuff...

Also... at what stage does it get to when you have to start thinking about calling Unisoc...?

I'm imagining:
Qualcomm:
200.gif

Mediatek:
Tesla-bot-with-dojo-chip-gif.gif

Unisoc:
danger.gif

Last edited:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Maybe... but then why do Samsung use them in certain product lines instead of their in-house Exynos stuff...

Also... at what stage does it get to when you have to start thinking about calling Unisoc...?
could be a bargaining reason or could be another reason but I'm sure it's financially based

could be a bargaining reason or could be another reason but I'm sure it's financially based
Actually, I'm forgetting export and other restrictions based on patents and regulatory approval for certain parts/designs. The reason why versions of the Galaxy Note / and S series phones had Qualcomm primarily in USA, and Exynos elsewhere (although no doubt cost also feeds in to that thinking).

Nvidia has called them and they are releasing an ARM SoC for Windows H2 2025. Should be nice as Nvidia are naturally doing the gpu, an area where the Qualcomm efforts suck. Next gen Qualcomm better be a huge upgrade on iGPU front.

To be honest, I am not sure what is the race for performance on a mobile phone for that they have to remove efficient cores. I don't believe we are a point where flagship phones are struggling to handle most day to day mobile phone use cases. Even if they can maintain a certain level of battery endurance with these pure P-core SOC, I think they may have been able to extend it further with some efficient cores.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
To be honest, I am not sure what is the race for performance on a mobile phone for that they have to remove efficient cores. I don't believe we are a point where flagship phones are struggling to handle most day to day mobile phone use cases. Even if they can maintain a certain level of battery endurance with these pure P-core SOC, I think they may have been able to extend it further with some efficient cores.
I don't even know what people need performance for in a phone. I mean, even the most basic SoC can run your email app, and mobile gaming is a crapfest (it's much better done on a handheld console), so who cares?

I don't even know what people need performance for in a phone. I mean, even the most basic SoC can run your email app, and mobile gaming is a crapfest (it's much better done on a handheld console), so who cares?
To better deal with all the adds and tracking scripts modern webpages and apps throw at our phones.
if it wasn’t for those the 2010 snapdragon s3 would be fine for phones doing basic things like email light surfing some gps task…