• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Minimum fan speed override on 1660Ti

Hello all,

I've acquired an old 1660Ti today - after replacing the old thermal paste and a little undervolting, the card works like a charm and runs pretty cool (it runs 20C cooler compared to the "as is" status!!)
Because I am going to use it for my home theatre, I am a bit disappointed that the card (msi 1660 ti ventus xs 6g oc) does not support idle fan stop but, most importantly, the minimum fan speed is capped at 41% which is 1500RPM.

I'd love to go lower than 1500RPM.

Afterburner doesn't seem to be able to override that.

What are my options when it comes to that? I am capable of removing the BIOS IC and I do have a programmer if that helps - but I believe it won't be needed unless I brick the card!

Someone suggests to flash a BIOS from an MSI 1660Ti gaming series. Before going to flash BIOS, I was hoping someone could point me to the right direction, including a backup route (besides de-soldering and flashing the IC) in case things went front.

Thank you!

Just to update, after educating myself I have flashed the "Gaming X" BIOS (it's an identical board basically, just with some extra features and a little extra boost). No issues whatsoever and I now have idle fan stop. The fan can go down to 25% (800rpm) manually if needed.

No instabilities and benchmarks are slightly higher because of the extra boost. I've undervolted the card and made a custom fan curve and it's perfect now. All sensors report the correct values and temps are ok.

I used the official nvflash and this BIOS. nvflash complained the PCI ID was different but let me flash anyways.

I had a couple of crashed in DOOM Ethernal but due to excessive undervolting, resolved by reducing the undervolting to 900mV.