• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor goes black, GPU fans hit full speed.

Zhankz

Hi all,

I've been experiencing some problems with my PC as of late.
When I run certain games, Helldivers II being the main one, my monitor will go black and unresponsive, and my GPU fans will speed all the way up. I keep receiving audio for about 10 seconds after as well.
This was originally just Helldivers, but has since expanded to Roblox, of all games (but only some Roblox games too?? and not necessarily graphically intensive ones)

I have done a variety of things that other forums like mine have said including (but not limited to):
-Underclocking my GPU
-Limiting voltage on my GPU
-Tracking +12V Rail to see if there is a certain point where it crashes
-tracking GPU clock to see if there is a certain point where it crashes
-wipe all graphics drivers and reinstall
-supported my graphics card physically so it is in the PCIe slot and not sagging
-cleaned all connections (PCIe, power,etc)
-Reseated RAM
-Uninstalled Helldivers + the anticheat associated with it entirely

I'm sure there's more but this has been an ongoing issue since I've gotten HD2, and I'm now taking more seriously since it has expanded to games beyond HD2.
I've tracked and logged GPU-Z for months, its not a temperature issue, its not a clock issue, I'm unsure what to do anymore.

Specs:
Asus Tuf B450M Motherboard
2x 8gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3000 RAM
XFX RX 580 4GB GPU
Ryzen 7 2700 CPU
Corsair CX600M PSU

If anyone can help, please do...

You say it's not a thermal issue, but I have only ever see this exact symptom presented under thermal throttle conditions. This is the GPU going, "Oh shit!" and shutting down to save itself as fast as possible. The last card I had that presented these symptoms was an RTX 3090 that somebody had rebuilt with new thermal pads, but they used the wrong thickness of pad so the card was completely stable UNTIL any load was put on it due to the core being half a millimeter spaced from the coldplate. The software sensor loggers never managed to show that the card was overheating because it would trip the protection before the sensor data even logged. Undervolting and underclocking did nothing for me either, only a complete rebuild of the card with different pads and fresh paste.

Zhankz

That makes complete sense, however I run graphics intensive games that heat up my GPU like crazy (ready or not for example), and It will run up to the eighties while playing these games, as well as others that will get it anywhere in the range from 30 to then.
This issue only occurs with certain games, ones that shouldn't push the heat limit at all.
Helldivers 2 would make sense as a heat issue running it heavily but I played for a solid month before this issue started occurring and it would only get to about 80 on the settings I was playing at, and I've only since lowered said setting when I had the chance.

The fact it's only occurring with certain games, especially those that are rudimentary, and not others that are graphics intensive, is whats throwing me off.

Processor Intel i5 9400f
Motherboard MSI Z390 Gaming Plus
Cooling SilentiumPC Fera 3
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 16-18-18-36
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super Ventus XS OC
Storage 500 GB Kingston A2000; 1 TB Kingston A2000; 1 TB HGST Travelstar
Display(s) AOC 24G2U
Case SilentiumPC Signum SG1
Audio Device(s) Creative Pebble Plus; Logitech G533
Power Supply beQuiet Systempower 9 500W
Mouse Logitech G403 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins (Red)
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have you looked in windows event viewer if there are any errors when the black screen happens?

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
At least do a sfc run.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have a 2070-looking paperweight that does the same (black screen, fans at 100%), even on the Windows desktop, and in the BIOS as well. If your card does too, then all I can say is... :(

1719386901233.png

Zhankz

Have you looked in windows event viewer if there are any errors when the black screen happens?
I have, there doesn't appear to be any events that occurred around when the black screen happens (I timed it multiple times to try and see)

At least do a sfc run.
What is that, and how can I do it?

I have a 2070-looking paperweight that does the same (black screen, fans at 100%), even on the Windows desktop, and in the BIOS as well. If your card does too, then all I can say is... :(
I'm trying to avoid this as much as possible, especially since I don't have the $$$ to replace it. I'm trying every avenue before I can call her dead.

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro

Had similar issue, I did every swap of HW possible and software uninstalls it came down to the Cablemod custom PCI-E 6 pin cable breaking contact upon thermal expansion, when I used the supplied EVGA cable it solved the random boot and shutdown issues. Find another cable and try it. I do custom PC builds for a living. The reboots and issues were totally random even occurred when making a new boot SSD or when gaming. See my pic the white cables to the GPU were the issue.

Mine would as crash in BIOS or idle desktop, I figured it out after seeing a customer touch his six pin PCI cable and it caused his build to reboot also. Cable mod are nice aesthetically but are flimsy in their lightweight design. The ATX pins wobble inside the Cablemod male connector resulting in a broken connection which will cause the GPU to lose power and reboot the PC. Have not had a 41 error or power reboot error in 2 yrs since replacing .

System Name Fran
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ROG Strix B550-F GAMING WIFI II
Cooling Hyper 212 Turbo ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6700 10GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Kingston A1000 480GB
Display(s) Lenovo G27q-20 (1440p, 165Hz)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) MOONDROP Aria SE
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Gold III 850W
Mouse Logitech G302
Keyboard IK75 v3 (QMK version)
That is how my 480 hit the dust. Was a bad mosfet and the GPU eventually just stopped working at all as I chose to not repair it.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
What is that, and how can I do it?
It's a tool that checks for corrupted system files and such. Open a command prompt in administrator mode and type in "sfc /scannow". :)

I'm trying to avoid this as much as possible, especially since I don't have the $$$ to replace it. I'm trying every avenue before I can call her dead.
I totally get that. I'm also sad that my 2070 died. It's the only RTX card I've owned, and probably will own for a long time, if current trends continue. But if it cuts out even in the BIOS, then there's nothing left to do. :(

System Name Mixed Bag of OC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Maxsun MS-iCraft B550M WIFI
Cooling CPU+GPU on Water with 3 X 420 Rad´s
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper RGB @ 3800 Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 RX 7900 XTX
Storage 2TB Kingston Fury + 2TB Samsung PCIe 4 NVME
Display(s) Philips 48OLED806
Case Selfmade Huuuuuge *Case* :)
Audio Device(s) ifi Zen DAC + Monoprice M1060C & Burmester Replica AMP + Selfmade Huuuuuge Speakers :)
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750
Mouse Kensington Slimblade (main device) + Razer Basilisk V3 (for FPS)
Keyboard Sharkoon PureWriter RGB, Kailh Blue switches
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores do not matter, my PC is fast :)
You say its an RX 580. Where is it from? could it be an RX 480 with Bios mod to RX 580 and that´s what makes it unstable at times?

Last edited:
From what ive read both of the games you listed seem to be very cpu intensive. Is your cpu over or underclocked? If so, it may be the cpu crashing out the program, which crashes the gpu drivers and timing, trying to save the whole pc from going down. Have you checked this gpu on another pc?

Zhankz

You say its an RX 580. Where is it from? could it be an RX 480 with Bios mod to RX 580 and that´s what makes it unstable at times?
Very interesting, I didn't even know that was a thing, but I don't think so since it's a branded card and all. How would I check?

From what ive read both of the games you listed seem to be very cpu intensive. Is your cpu over or underclocked? If so, it may be the cpu crashing out the program, which crashes the gpu drivers and timing, trying to save the whole pc from going down. Have you checked this gpu on another pc?
Ooh, this is a new one. I haven't done any tinkering with my CPU whatsoever, hell I wouldn't even know what program to use. I also haven't been monitoring it so its entirely possible this is the case.
I don't have access to another computer to check, but I will have to try and find one.
Is there any way to see without another computer?

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
That is how my 480 hit the dust. Was a bad mosfet and the GPU eventually just stopped working at all as I chose to not repair it.
Same, this is the exact behavior by Vega 64s showed before both toasted their own PCBs.

Dem GPUs are getting tired anyway.

@Zhankz Depending on how hard a life your cpu has had, they can sometimes start to show issues with needing a voltage adjustment. That would be done in the bios of your mobo though, no software needed. As far as checking your gpu without another pc, there is but you would need a Multimeter and a schematic of the gpu pcb to test voltages/resistance etc... which in your case sounds like it would be better left to someone who has that stuff and knows how to use it, a friend at the least, a shop definitely.

Zhankz

Depending on how hard a life your cpu has had, they can sometimes start to show issues with needing a voltage adjustment. That would be done in the bios of your mobo though, no software needed.
I see.
What would be the move to adjust the voltage? Higher/Lower, would there be a specific setting to look for?
I'm inclined to think it's the CPU that's tripping and then tripping the GPU because I was running ready or not earlier on max graphics, and while laggy, it didn't kill my PC. Same thing with DOOM Eternal.

@Mister300 thank you for the suggestion. I tried that moments ago, and to my dismay, it did not work :(

I'm going to try and get spare parts from my friend, and swap out the GPU and PSU (Independently OFC) to try and determine if it is either of them.
I hope it is the PSU, I have heard the CX???M series is not that reliable, so I would be grateful for something easy to be the replacement.

@Zhankz On Intel cpu's its typically maybe 1 volt higher, but with Ryzen it could go either way a volt, but Ryzen seems to like less. It may even be just a DDR4 Ram sticks issue cause Crucials Ballistix sticks have historically been a pita. You could try pulling the furthest stick from the cpu, and leave the other in, hit the clear cmos button on the mobo and reboot into defaults and try to get to the desktop from there and try the game again. If you swap out the PSU make sure you pull ALL the PSU wires with it. DO NOT reuse the old psu's wires in a new psu or youll destroy all kinds of parts quickly. So thats not as easy a job as you thought now, huh?!? Fixing PC's is never easy, routine or fun... for the most part. You will pull hairs out before your done. ;)

Zhankz

@Zhankz On Intel cpu's its typically maybe 1 volt higher, but with Ryzen it could go either way a volt, but Ryzen seems to like less. It may even be just a DDR4 Ram sticks issue cause Crucials Ballistix sticks have historically been a pita. You could try pulling the furthest stick from the cpu, and leave the other in, hit the clear cmos button on the mobo and reboot into defaults and try to get to the desktop from there and try the game again. If you swap out the PSU make sure you pull ALL the PSU wires with it. DO NOT reuse the old psu's wires in a new psu or youll destroy all kinds of parts quickly. So thats not as easy a job as you thought now, huh?!? Fixing PC's is never easy, routine or fun... for the most part. You will pull hairs out before your done. ;)
Ah got it!
I'll toy with the CPU voltage.
Why the furthest stick from the CPU? What is different than the closer one? Also, what would that button look like? I only ever heard about pulling the battery to reset BIOS.
Huh! I didn't know that. Thank you, you're gonna be saving me. Is there any reason for that? Why do old PSU wires break things if they go with a new PSU? Should the wires be designated with each PSU, or each swap you need new wires?

I was playing the specific ROBLOX game that was crashing earlier for a few hours now to no crash. I started it minimized and not full-screened, and increased it to almost full-screen after five minutes.
I will have to redownload HELLDIVERS and try to run it in a smaller window now.
I assume it's the windowing that's stopping the crashing because I turned off PSS Support, NX Mode, SVM Mode, and SMT Mode in BIOS and played the game after and it crashed still.

To be quite frank, I have no idea what it could be at this point because there are so many particulars that cause/stop it.
Thanks so much for the help Massdeth!

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Ah got it!
I'll toy with the CPU voltage.
Why the furthest stick from the CPU? What is different than the closer one? Also, what would that button look like? I only ever heard about pulling the battery to reset BIOS.
Huh! I didn't know that. Thank you, you're gonna be saving me. Is there any reason for that? Why do old PSU wires break things if they go with a new PSU? Should the wires be designated with each PSU, or each swap you need new wires?

I was playing the specific ROBLOX game that was crashing earlier for a few hours now to no crash. I started it minimized and not full-screened, and increased it to almost full-screen after five minutes.
I will have to redownload HELLDIVERS and try to run it in a smaller window now.
I assume it's the windowing that's stopping the crashing because I turned off PSS Support, NX Mode, SVM Mode, and SMT Mode in BIOS and played the game after and it crashed still.

To be quite frank, I have no idea what it could be at this point because there are so many particulars that cause/stop it.
Thanks so much for the help Massdeth!

Only use the wires that came with the PSU, never mix them as some have different pinouts sadly. Even the same model could be a issue as well.