• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Moving from test bench to my PC case soon, but I am missing standoffs and the right screws for the standoffs

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think I need to throw out all the standoffs and screws, I'd like to just start over with 9 new standoffs and 9 new screws matching, because my other standoffs have had the threading messed up a couple of times when I used the wrong screw size.

I need help, so how do I get 9 new standoffs and 9 matching screws. Where can I find this?

I need 3 standoffs that thread for 6 x 32 screws, NZXT website says that is the standoffs my PC case uses.

I see there are 2 or 3 different standoffs, and you have to use the right screws size m3 * 5, m3 * 6, or 32 x 6 screws with the right stand off so it threads right

Well I got my screws all mixed up and they look so damn similar I really can't tell them apart. I found a bag labeled 32 x 6 and they thread perfectly in the standoffs, The problem is I only have 3 of these left, rest have just been lost over time cause I am clumsy. Any advice is welcome.

I found some kits on Amazon, but it doesn't specify if the standoff section matches the m3 *5 main board screws or the 6 x 32 screws, it just has a lot of little compartments with each screw, which is everything I need, but it doesn't say which the standoffs support... very frustrating...

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I see there are 2 or 3 different standoffs, and you have to use the right screws size m3 * 5, m3 * 6, or 32 x 6 screws with the right stand off so it threads right
If only it was that easy. For one, there are dozens of different standoffs. And it is not just about the correct screw size and thread count. But the height of the standoff is critical as that is what determines how high up the motherboard sits off the back of the case and how all its ports and slots align with the openings in the back of the case. If that is off even .5mm, it could put undue stress on a graphics card, for example, when inserted and secured by the card's mounting screw(s).

Besides needing to be the correct height for rear panel alignment, you cannot mix sizes. Those that are taller or shorter than the correct ones will cause the motherboard to flex instead of laying perfectly flat. That could eventually put undue stress on the board resulting in microfractures and broken trace runs. :(

Some might suggest you not use some of the standoffs if not the correct height and leave the spot empty. That is not a good idea either. In addition to providing physical support for the motherboard (especially when applying force while inserting connectors, cards, and RAM), the standoff also provide a path to ground at that point. Because there are dozens (100s?) of circuits on the motherboard, they all need to be at the same "common" ground. Ensuring all those grounding points connect to the same case common ground ensures there are no "difference in potentials" which might cause instability or EMI/RFI issues. :( :(

very frustrating...
I can imagine.

I wish I had an easy solution to offer. All I can suggest is you contact NZXT support to see if you can buy a set of standoffs for that specific case.

Short of that, post on various sites (perhaps here too) a plea for help from others who have that same case, but still have extra standoffs and corresponding mounting screws they are willing to part with.

I do still have a concern and that is with the threads in the case where the standoffs go. If they are stripped, you may have just one shot at inserting the new standoff in correctly and securely. And then my worry is the potential for metal filings from the previously stripped threads getting into the electronics. SUPER DUPER EXTREME CARE will be needed to ensure that does not happen.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
(sigh)

You are doing this all wrong.

Start by inquiring about replacements from NZXT. Their customer support is pretty good.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I contacted NZXT customer service, hopefully they will respond next week, thanks everyone! Yeah, best to get the official replacements for this PC case just to be extra safe. Even if they want to charge me like $5 to cover shipping or something I'm cool with that. I doubt they will charge me much for 9 screws and 9 standoffs.