• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Msi armor RX 570 8gb oc bios

Hi. I read many posts similar to mine but still decided to write. Bought used Msi armor RX 570 8gb oc owner claimed it was not on mining but when installed the driver Os (Win 10 and 7) does not recognize it. Called that guy and now he mentioned(!) that I would need pixel patcher to use it. Run pixel patcher and now it is recognized by OS. Well, I'm not still 100% sure that card was used in mining but don't see other ways. My screenshot of Gpu-z and its lookup results link (seems values are matched):

gpu-z-1.gif

I run stress and Vram tests and seems to be ok. But then I tested it in the game Witcher 3 next gen on high and ultra settings only getting 40-30 fps relatively (if Nvidia hairworks disabled about 8-9 fps gain) comparing others get around 50-70+ fps on youtube even with 4gb same model card. The temperature is 75°C (I fear that in summer it will get hot).
Maybe I shouldn't be concerned but your opinion and advise would be nice.
I looked up TPU bios database and there are bioses for slightly different models, so I'm not sure if flashing with that would be good. Also interested if you could tell what bios mine was tampered with and which thermal pads should I use - 0.5 mm or 1 mm?

specs: ryzen 5 2600, 16 gb ddr4, Rx 570 oc

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
owner claimed it was not on mining but when installed the driver Os (Win 10 and 7) does not recognize it. Called that guy and now he mentioned(!) that I would need pixel patcher to use it.
Because he was lying. No reason to be unsure.

You don’t need pixel patcher to use unmodified cards.

this was 100% tampered with

Because he was lying. No reason to be unsure.

You don’t need pixel patcher to use unmodified cards.

this was 100% tampered with
I also think so. If I just could find the original bios for my card... Msi support refused to give due to company policies.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
I mean. I would go search the vga bios database, the drop downs aren't hard to use.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Memory vendor is hynix as is mine as Gpu-z shows
Well, you will have to check the model of Hynix VRAM used. Under the "Advanced" tab, there is a page for "Memory Timings" and you will need to confirm that H5GQ8H24MJR VRAM is supported.

that card is red and mine is in white color
Different HSF, possibly identical PCB. If you take the heatsink/fans off, you can check the VRAM type and the code on the frame around the GPU die, to confirm that it is actually an RX 570, not a reflashed RX 470.

Is there a white sticker on the back of your card? Post a picture of that, and we can check that it is the right model.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
nd mine is in white color

they all show the red mk2 in the image description which im sure you read and saw when you looked at the other BIOS's

the white picture is just missing.

Well, you will have to check the model of Hynix VRAM used. Under the "Advanced" tab, there is a page for "Memory Timings" and you will need to confirm that H5GQ8H24MJR VRAM is supported.

Different HSF, possibly identical PCB. If you take the heatsink/fans off, you can check the VRAM type and the code on the frame around the GPU die, to confirm that it is actually an RX 570, not a reflashed RX 470.

Is there a white sticker on the back of your card? Post a picture of that, and we can check that it is the right model.
If I understand correctly it is supported:

gpu-z-3.gif

gpu-z-2.gif

As for "reflashed RX 470" I never thought they could lie this far... Thanks for telling me this. I was fear that I will have to open it but will follow your advice, just need some a little time.

I never thought they could lie this far...
That is one of the more common ones - some are flashed with a RX 580 VBIOS that have the right shader count. It mostly works, but there are sometimes issues.

What is worse and much more common than it should be is the GTS 450 that are modded into GTX 750 or 1050 series cards.

Anyways, it looks like a Polaris 20 chip if GPU-Z is reporting right, so we should be good there.

Well I looked up the card's backplate. I'm sorry I couldn't make pictures because my mobile phone does not have camera and though I have pc cameras, I couldn't managed to focus with them and images were blurry.
But I did write down everything I saw there and will now list all those codes and numbers because I don't know what they mean.
So, on the backside to the top there were these numbers:
jh m3 94v-0
e230435
1801 b-1
bellow the sticker with barcode and serial number:
radeon rx 570 armor 8g oc
s/n1: 602-v341-252sb1803001120 chk:a3f
After that bellow:
FC micro-star
model ms-v341
then
K
msip-rei-msi-ms-v341
next barcode white sticker (short):
s/n2: 1316234109 252s
somewhere in the middle:
v341 ver. 2.2 product of china

Then I removed heatsink with coolers and looked at the chips. By the way it was noticeable that thermal pads were exchanged because one of them was blue color while other were grey. The right one was about 2-25mm thick by the way.
I could read Hynix on memory chips but the real disaster was when I saw rx 470 on the little ones like pc919 chip (don't know how to call them correctly). It appears you were right and he went this far...:cry:
On the central unit I read:
m773h.dd
215-1910052
And there was also a white sticker on the back of the heatsink near the CU but the code was unreadable, I could only read last numbers: 170601009(or0)03

This is all. Very disappointing and don't know what to do now with this card, because if it's rx 470 then flashing the bios might brick it.
I gave him just 106$ for this card, hope he will make good use of them.

I could read Hynix on memory chips but the real disaster was when I saw rx 470 on the little ones like pc919 chip (don't know how to call them correctly). It appears you were right and he went this far...:cry:
On the central unit I read:
m773h.dd
215-1910052
Nope, the code on the side of the main chip (bolded) is for a Polaris 20 XL, which means it is an RX 570.

It looks like this is the right one:

Make sure you back up the original, of course.
Here is a guide:

Nope, the code on the side of the main chip (bolded) is for a Polaris 20 XL, which means it is an RX 570.
Good to hear that, but then why rx 570 would have rx 470 parts?!
I think I'll try that bios though a bit fear to do that. I just can't understand - clock speeds and other specs on my card are already similar to armor mk version, so even if they flushed the bios with it, I just don't see the point and also why I get low fps in games if this one has mk version bios!? Maybe because I run Pixel Patcher without only bios version (meaning to remove bios signature check I had to renamed it Pixel-clock-patcher-bios but I didn't do that).
Well, anyway thank you very much for helping me. I'll flush it and if my card becomes unusable I let you know, if not then everything went well :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
I just don't see the point and also why I get low fps in games if this one has mk version bios!?

because the timings per clock plane, or voltage/fa tables are probably modified. pixel patcher is bypassing the sig check which is why the card works in windows when using it. Without pixel patcher bypassing the signature check you are getting a failure.

Do you have a dump of the bios currently on the card? can you upload it here?

Without pixel patcher bypassing the signature check you are getting a failure
Yes and I could use pixel patcher for just to remove bios signature check if I renamed it to atikmdag-patcher-bios.exe, but I didn't renamed and run directly which also removes other things than just signature check.
Attaching my bios made with Gpu-z.

Attachments

• Ellesmere.rom
    256 KB · Views: 49

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Yes and I could use pixel patcher for just to remove bios signature check if I renamed it to atikmdag-patcher-bios.exe, but I didn't renamed and run directly which also removes other things than just signature check.
Attaching my bios made with Gpu-z.

Thanks compared your dump to the one @Count von Schwalbe linked. As you say it "appears" to be the same, but after taking a look in 010 and running a compare there are several differences.

1676794119332.png

The differences arent just the first line. They span the entire file. you can catch a glimpse (red) in the zoom out column to the right. They may be the same card, but these are not the same bios.

I hope this makes things more clear so you arent so confused. Your bios was 100% modified, and the seller is lying.

EDIT::

I actually went a step further and downloaded all the MSI bios from the link I provided before. This includes the one count provided.

None of these bios match yours at all. So it isnt a case of version mis-match. Yours just literally is not the same as any of them.

EDIT2::

I'm bored so I took it a step further. I checked unverified bios as well.

Your BIOS has a date stamp of 03/04/18

1676794850106.png

So I downloaded all (3) bios from the unverified section that had that date stamp embeded in them

1676794901555.png

None of them matched your bios at all.

Last edited:
Thanks compared your dump to the one @Count von Schwalbe linked. As you say it "appears" to be the same, but after taking a look in 010 and running a compare there are several differences.

View attachment 284553

The differences arent just the first line. They span the entire file. you can catch a glimpse (red) in the zoom out column to the right. They may be the same card, but these are not the same bios.

I hope this makes things more clear so you arent so confused. Your bios was 100% modified, and the seller is lying.

EDIT::

I actually went a step further and downloaded all the MSI bios from the link I provided before. This includes the one count provided.

None of these bios match yours at all. So it isnt a case of version mis-match. Yours just literally is not the same as any of them.
Yeah, I see. I myself don't know what those numbers are and mean but can see the difference between. Thanks for comparing it for me. Do you also advise that I do bios flash?

None of them matched your bios at all
Hm, what this could mean?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Yeah, I see. I myself don't know what those numbers are and mean but can see the difference between. Thanks for comparing it for me. Do you also advise that I do bios flash?

Hm, what this could mean?

What I said.

As for the bios flash, thats upto you. I suggest you have a means to recover if it goes wrong.

The card will never work correctly until the correct bios is put on it.

But as always you should have a way to recover if the flash doesnt work right.

What I said.

As for the bios flash, thats upto you. I suggest you have a means to recover if it goes wrong.

The card will never work correctly until the correct bios is put on it.

But as always you should have a way to recover if the flash doesnt work right.
Ok thanks. Btw the seller also game the box of the card and there is even its dvd in it. Didn't try to install a driver from it. Looking now and it has many things including some windows updates-hotfixes, but I don't think the original bios would be there.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
I doubt it. and I wouldnt install anything from it. Windows is perfectly capable of updating itself, and any gpu drivers you need you can just download from AMD. As far as im concerned you bought a broken GPU and a coaster.

I flashed and everything is normal now :) no more Pixel patcher needed. Tested in the game and there is some fps gain, not much but still on ultra settings in Witcher 3 I get around 40-50 if Nvidia hairworks is disabled (if it's on then - 30-40 fps). Well Witcher 3 next gen update is more graphic intensive, so I think it's not bad results. Temperature of gpu gets 75 C as was before, needs to change thermal paste I think, not sure about pads.
Thank you for your help again!

It seems I said early. I now discovered a strange problem: I have my video files in a folder about 4gb. If I change view size to large, pc restarts without any warning or blue screen but sometimes it shows screen like this
image.jpg

I changed to my old video card and the issue does not occur. Might be this happened because I changed the bios or just card is dying? or maybe one of its memory chips? Strange is that I tested it with Msi Combustor's furmark memory test, Superposition, Occt Vram test and there was no single error. Also played Witcher 3 high settings about 2-3 hour and everything was fine. So, why suddenly increasing video file sizes can affect so hard the card?!

It seems I said early. I now discovered a strange problem: I have my video files in a folder about 4gb. If I change view size to large, pc restarts without any warning or blue screen but sometimes it shows screen like this
image.jpg

I changed to my old video card and the issue does not occur. Might be this happened because I changed the bios or just card is dying? or maybe one of its memory chips? Strange is that I tested it with Msi Combustor's furmark memory test, Superposition, Occt Vram test and there was no single error. Also played Witcher 3 high settings about 2-3 hour and everything was fine. So, why suddenly increasing video file sizes can affect so hard the card?!
FIX: Win 10 gave the code: Irql not less or equal. This is ram related error. I removed one of the ram module and no problems with size enlarging anymore. So this wasn't to video card related.

System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello.
We are glad that you've made it.
Cheers mate!