• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Dell Laptop is not Turning Off

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
Hi Everyone i am new and i am not sure if this is the correct place to be in, Sorry in Advance.

i have a Dell g3 laptop got water damage and Repaired. Now working and all but a problem apparently came up after repairing.
-Note: Water Damage was near Power button and I/O MB, I have the version with Fingerprint Login and it’s working fine.

Only way to make fully shutdown and stay shut is to Plug the charger and then shutdown with the charger, if charger unplugged it Turns Back on by itself.

First thought come to mind it’s because of the water Damage. But if that’s the case won’t that make the laptop not work completely or not work properly at all.
It’s working fine but this issue made near impossible to take the laptop out with me anywhere.

I tried Windows update, Safe mode, Bios is Up to date. Nothing solved the problem.
I am trying to explore all options before Clean Setup.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
There is likely a short somewhere. It will have to be sent in for repair again, and each part that was handled carefully re-inspected and if necessary, cleaned, repaired or replaced.

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
There is likely a short somewhere. It will have to be sent in for repair again, and each part that was handled carefully re-inspected and if necessary, cleaned, repaired or replaced.
The Power button cable was cleaned and all.
Since it’s working fine repair guy said no need to replace it.
Laptop Event log shows
Error Id-41_Kernal power error.
ATM i am using Malwarebytes App to check for any Malware’s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Keyboard Generic PS/2
The Power button cable was cleaned and all.
Since it’s working fine repair guy said no need to replace it.
Laptop Event log shows
Error Id-41_Kernal power error.
ATM i am using Malwarebytes App to check for any Malware’s

That only means that the operating system was not safely shut down, happens when you yank the cord or take the battery on with the machine live. The power-on button actually closes a circuit that turns the system on (this is the reason why you can turn on a desktop motherboard with a screwdriver, for example), and having the charger plugged in probably prevents the circuit from closing somehow.

I still think a physical inspection is in order, to at least see if the system is reassembled correctly. With water damage existing, the problem could be as simple as a resistor that has some corrosion in or around it.

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
That only means that the operating system was not safely shut down, happens when you yank the cord or take the battery on with the machine live. The power-on button actually closes a circuit that turns the system on (this is the reason why you can turn on a desktop motherboard with a screwdriver, for example), and having the charger plugged in probably prevents the circuit from closing somehow.

I still think a physical inspection is in order, to at least see if the system is reassembled correctly. With water damage existing, the problem could be as simple as a resistor that has some corrosion in or around it.
Hi.
I asked the repair person what he did after getting the laptop to work.
He said he found a corroded resistor, he took it off and cleaned it and welded it back on, after that the laptop turned on.
Most damaged area was attached in the photos.
Cable noted as 1 is the power for power button he found corrosion on it and got it cleaned.

Malwarebyets finished scanning 2.8M files and after 3 hours said no malware on any problems.

Can’t we rule out physical damage since it shuts down and stays shut down when charger is plugged? The moment charger disconnects it turn back on alone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 41
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Try using a live Linux OS and see if the behavior can be replicated. That way you don't need to lose any data on your HDD. I like to use Fedora, but any of them works - Mint, Ubuntu, etc. pick whatever and run it in live mode off the USB or DVD.

If the behavior is consistent under a live Linux, then it is a physical problem. Malware will not cause this behavior (usually), because it's likely that the malware author wants to use your computer's resources or the information contained within for some nefarious purpose, to that end the computer needs to be on, of course.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives WD SN850X 1TB 4x4 BOOT/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4 STEAM/USB3 4TB OTHER
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Yamaha YSP-800 DSP soundbar/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 lightspeed wireless
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL lightspeed wireless
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Benchmark Scores Who cares
I think it's a hardware problem, not software. Imo it needs looking at again, just because the engineer got it to power on,. does not mean it is fine, which the problem shows.

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
Try using a live Linux OS and see if the behavior can be replicated. That way you don't need to lose any data on your HDD. I like to use Fedora, but any of them works - Mint, Ubuntu, etc. pick whatever and run it in live mode off the USB or DVD.

If the behavior is consistent under a live Linux, then it is a physical problem. Malware will not cause this behavior (usually), because it's likely that the malware author wants to use your computer's resources or the information contained within for some nefarious purpose, to that end the computer needs to be on, of
Honestly i am bad with OS, from my understanding from your reply you want me to install this Live Linux and delete my Windows? Or download this Linux to external drive and boot from it?

I think it's a hardware problem, not software. Imo it needs looking at again, just because the engineer got it to power on,. does not mean it is fine, which the problem shows.
I understand you, the thing is the guy who got it fixed is sort of Amture based experience guy.
I went to specialized shops they demanded absurd amount of money to change the MB immediately without trying to fix it. Or look for whats is faulty due water damage .

Keyboard Generic PS/2
Honestly i am bad with OS, from my understanding from your reply you want me to install this Live Linux and delete my Windows? Or download this Linux to external drive and boot from it?

I understand you, the thing is the guy who got it fixed is sort of Amture based experience guy.
I went to specialized shops they demanded absurd amount of money to change the MB immediately without trying to fix it. Or look for whats is faulty due water damage .

No, live Linux doesn't touch your existing operating system, it just boots from the USB stick. You don't have to install it. That's why it's live, lol

See tutorial if you arent familiar with it

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
No, live Linux doesn't touch your existing operating system, it just boots from the USB stick. You don't have to install it. That's why it's live, lol

See tutorial if you arent familiar with it
Thanks a lot i will check it now.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
How long ago did this "water" get spilled in there?

While most laptops are not waterproof, most offer some resistance to liquids getting inside, in case caught in a sudden rain storm, for example. My point being, once liquids get in, it can take a long while for them to completely dry out. This is especially true if not flipped upside down immediately after the liquid spilled on it.

While plain water certainly can create an electrical short scenario, plain water rarely creates a corrosion issue. What was in that water? Was it really "water"? Or was it coffee with cream and sugar? Soda? Dirty rain?

I think it needs to be "professionally" cleaned by an experienced technician.

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
How long ago did this "water" get spilled in there?

While most laptops are not waterproof, most offer some resistance to liquids getting inside, in case caught in a sudden rain storm, for example. My point being, once liquids get in, it can take a long while for them to completely dry out. This is especially true if not flipped upside down immediately after the liquid spilled on it.

While plain water certainly can create an electrical short scenario, plain water rarely creates a corrosion issue. What was in that water? Was it really "water"? Or was it coffee with cream and sugar? Soda? Dirty rain?

I think it needs to be "professionally" cleaned by an experienced technician.
Well you’re correct indeed. I didn’t mention the full story of how it got water damage I didn’t see it’s relevant since the laptop eventually after drying up it worked.
( long story short I suspect it was in water for like 2-3h, my whole house was flooded to broken pipe, device wad in my backpack.)
i will take it to a repair shop today and see how. I will keep you guys updated, Thanks to everyone who participated

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Wow! :eek: Sorry to hear about that. I hope (but doubt :() insurance covered it.

So we are not talking about a glass of filtered water spilling on the keyboards but the laptop soaking in dirty water for potentially hours. :(

I think you are lucky it even booted at all. I am surprised the battery was not destroyed as that much water would have shorted it out.

I recommend you remove the drive and [hopefully] backup any and all data you don't want to lose - then take it to a reputable shop.

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
Wow! :eek: Sorry to hear about that. I hope (but doubt :() insurance covered it.

So we are not talking about a glass of filtered water spilling on the keyboards but the laptop soaking in dirty water for potentially hours. :(

I think you are lucky it even booted at all. I am surprised the battery was not destroyed as that much water would have shorted it out.

I recommend you remove the drive and [hopefully] backup any and all data you don't want to lose - then take it to a reputable shop.
Well it didn’t fully submerge under water, it was standing in the backpack and damaged in charging/power button area.
Also no insurance here in a middle eastern country ‍♂️.
By this point i am okay with losing data, i got no extra money for hard disk, currently barely able to afford to fix it.

Thanks everyone i will update here as soon as i get it back.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Also no insurance here in a middle eastern country
Well, you are not alone. Not sure how most insurance companies deal with flooding from a broken pipe, but many will not cover damage from flooding unless you pay extra for flood insurance.

Any way, good luck.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Hi.
I asked the repair person what he did after getting the laptop to work.
He said he found a corroded resistor, he took it off and cleaned it and welded it back on, after that the laptop turned on.
Most damaged area was attached in the photos.
Cable noted as 1 is the power for power button he found corrosion on it and got it cleaned.

Can’t we rule out physical damage since it shuts down and stays shut down when charger is plugged? The moment charger disconnects it turn back on alone
If he removed a Capacitor and soldered it back on the wrong way it would allow current from the battery to power the system back on without pressing the power button I would imagine as they are generally one way.
I could be totally wrong too,and welcome more experienced replies.
Get him to have another look at the repair he did and test it.

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
Hi Everyone i came back with an update. basically the repair guy says no damage is found on the MO and it might be a BIOS AC behavior issue.
Because he replaced the Cion battery and that Auto reset BIOS configuration.
from dell repair manual: "CAUTION: Removing the coin-cell battery resets the BIOS setup program’s settings to default. Before removing the I/O board along with the coin-cell battery, it is recommended to note the BIOS setup program’s settings."

If he removed a Capacitor and soldered it back on the wrong way it would allow current from the battery to power the system back on without pressing the power button I would imagine as they are generally one way.
I could be totally wrong too,and welcome more experienced replies.
Get him to have another look at the repair he did and test it.
He did solder back a resistor and i thought of that and told him, he is sure he did it the right way.

Keyboard Generic PS/2
Regardless, I don't think this is BIOS-related. It's definitely not the default setting even if this is available on your laptop (and I am fairly sure it is not on mine - a 2021 G15 5515)

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
Regardless, I don't think this is BIOS-related. It's definitely not the default setting even if this is available on your laptop (and I am fairly sure it is not on mine - a 2021 G15 5515)
What made the repair guy say it’s a software issue maybe that the laptop when connected to power and off it, it stays off. No AC cord (charger) connected it goes back on.
I am trying to find a good paying job and just buy a new one.
Any suggestions for decent laptop that can run Engineering software like MatLab,ANSYS, 3D modeling? Ik this might be wrong place to ask but no harm in trying hopefully.

Keyboard Generic PS/2
What made the repair guy say it’s a software issue maybe that the laptop when connected to power and off it, it stays off. No AC cord (charger) connected it goes back on.
Any suggestions for decent laptop that can run Engineering software like MatLab,ANSYS, 3D modeling? Ik this might be wrong place to ask but no harm in trying hopefully.

Why not get an older generation ThinkPad or Dell Precision laptop? You can find many of those for a very good price on eBay and the sort, usually with a Quadro GPU as well. Those are built for work.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Contact northridgefix

System Name Dell Laptop
Processor I7-8750H
Motherboard Dell
Memory 16Gb 2666mHz
Video Card(s) 1060Ti
Storage 1Tb
Software W11
Well he did a full inspection on all damaged
( were water went ) hardware and he found non.
Taking it to other shop I feel like they will try to rip me off in sense of trying to make a short cut regarding the power supply that will cause harm any time.
The main guy i went to, suggest it it possible to make a jumper wire and make it work but it’s risky.

Contact northridgefix
I will look into it, Thanks

Why not get an older generation ThinkPad or Dell Precision laptop? You can find many of those for a very good price on eBay and the sort, usually with a Quadro GPU as well. Those are built for work.
I am not too familiar with this type or laptops in general honestly, i will look into it and see the price including shipping to UAE