• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My internet keeps disconnecting briefly while I'm playing Valorant.

hukki40

Hello, I recently got a new ISP provider, and ever since I've been with them, I can't play Valorant anymore. I keep disconnecting every few minutes or seconds, and this happens not only in Valorant but also in Discord or on my phone, etc. However, this only occurs when I've started Valorant, not with other applications.

However, when I play with a VPN, it works perfectly fine. As soon as I start Valorant and then close the game right away, these problems persist across the entire internet for about 2 hours, during which even the VPN doesn't work anymore.

I've tried quite a few things, and it must be the ISP provider because a friend of mine, who also got the same provider on my street, is experiencing the same problems. The strange thing is that these issues only occur with Valorant.

Does anyone know of a possible solution for this?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI (Soon to be retired)
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI (Soon to be retired)
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Funny. Most people only have 1 choice. Next best thing to do is buy your own Modem and Router.

Well the OP did open with "I recently got a new ISP". The post also reads that everything is perfectly fine till they open valorant which reminds me of when AT&T or Comcast would only throttle and slow traffic to companies and company servers they had disputes or disagreements with.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S DX-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
However, when I play with a VPN, it works perfectly fine.
This is probably a routing issue. You should see if you can get the IP or route to valorants servers. Then run an MTR you will need the MTR to give to your ISP or they are going to tell you to get bent.

ir_cow

Staff member
I use to have drops all the time. About 12 years ago I got my own modem. No more drops because it had extra channels to connect to. QAM is a crazy technology. But these companies give you the cheapest modem and router possible.

My buddy use to work for ------ and he would just give customers other people's "broken" units. Refurbished just meant it went back in the work truck if it "passed" the checks.

After my problems, he told me the only solution is to buy your own. Did a bunch of research. More than I should and I can tell you yea... It can make a big difference. Assuming the Coax line isn't messed up somewhere down the road.