• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help recreating Throttlestop settings in latest version.

TechTech101

Basically my issue is that I need to "disable" C3/C6/C7. My asus laptop has an age old issue that I crash/freeze when my CPU goes too idle. According to these people disabling those states and putting it permanently on C1 fixes this issue. Except they were using a very old version and I'm not sure how to compare it to the latest.

My C state is locked to 9. Does the request C1 fulfill the same purpose?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
To disable all of the C states except C0 and C1

Open the C States window, push the >> button to open the window entirely. Check the C States - AC box, select the Off radio button and push the Apply button. This will disable the C states in whatever Windows power plan you are presently using. If you wish to disable the C states in multiple power plans, you have to do this procedure for each one.

If you want to go back to normal do the opposite. Check the C States - AC box, select the On radio button and press the Apply button.

Are you using ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU? Post screenshots of the FIVR window if you are. If you have to disable the C states that is usually a sign that your undervolt is too much.

Once C3, C6 and C7 are disabled, you can still toggle the C1E button to toggle C1E on or off.

The ThrottleStop C States monitoring table will confirm if you have disabled the C states. The table should show 0.0 for all entries when your computer is idle.

1722641830890.png

Last edited:

TechTech101

To disable all of the C states except C0 and C1

Open the C States window, push the >> button to open the window entirely. Check the C States - AC box, select the Off radio button and push the Apply button. This will disable the C states in whatever Windows power plan you are presently using. If you wish to disable the C states in multiple power plans, you have to do this procedure for each one.

If you want to go back to normal do the opposite. Check the C States - AC box, select the On radio button and press the Apply button.

Are you using ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU? Post screenshots of the FIVR window if you are. If you have to disable the C states that is usually a sign that your undervolt is too much.

Once C3, C6 and C7 are disabled, you can still toggle the C1E button to toggle these C states on or off.

The ThrottleStop C States monitoring table will confirm if you have disabled the C states. The table should show 0.0 for all entries when your computer is idle.

View attachment 357315
Thank you! Easier than I thought it would be. I will be monitoring it for now and the temperatures as well. If you could, what does the "Request" drop down button do, if anything?

As for undervolting, I'm not trying to do anything of the sort. I'm trying to stop the incessant hard freezes I keep getting when my computer is idle. I never crash playing games, but everything goes bad when I just try to check my email. Reading the Rog Strix forums this seems to be quite the issue for a lot of these laptops and seems to point at not enough voltage being provided during idleness.

Added screenshot for the heck of it. Thank you again!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-02 204103.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-02 204103.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 4

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The Package C State Request feature is locked by the BIOS to C9. Your screenshot shows you are trying to request package C1. There is no point trying to do this when the package C State register is locked. I would set the Request value back to C9 so ThrottleStop does not waste its time trying to change something that is locked and cannot be changed.

The forum thread you posted is about disabling the package C states. That is impossible when the package C state register is locked.

What I posted allows you to disable the core C states. That feature was not available in ThrottleStop 3.0. When all of the core C states are disabled, the CPU package C states will automatically be disabled too.

Disabling the C states will make your CPU run a little warmer. It will also disable maximum turbo boost so your CPU will run a little slower when lightly loaded. This is not too big of a deal if it helps prevent your CPU from constantly randomly crashing.

Edit - If this fixes your random light load crashing issues, post a screenshot of the FIVR window. You might be able to do some undervolting to trim up to 10°C off of your full load temps. Setting the core and cache to a negative offset of -100 mV is usually safe and stable for most 9700H CPUs. This feature might be locked.

Last edited: